Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine showed me the .44 Magnum Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel he purchased new in 1962 ( I will get pictures in a couple of days), the serial # is 26xxx, it has had roughly 200 rounds though it since he purchased the gun and it is in very nice shape. Very slight muzzle wear and definite cylinder drag marks.
No box and no manual but it looks nearly new.
He's thinking of selling it and asked me if I thought it might bring $300-$400 dollars.
Being an ethical man ( And a Realtor,go figure) I told him I thought it had collector value and hope that I can get a preliminary opinion here.
Again, it's a Blackhawk and NOT a Super Blackhawk and it has not been updated to be safe with 6 in the cylinder.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
He should be able to get at least that much for it (maybe more).

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Check out GunBroker.com to see if there's others and what they're going for.

Check the Blue Book of Gun Values. Any gun shop that buy/sells gun should have one.

But if you buddy's gun is in pretty good condition I'd say it would be worth more that $400. Plus it's an 'old' model.

Just don't forget, with guns it's ALL about condition. A rusty piece of junk is a rusty piece of junk regardless of what it used to be.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
That would be a BKH-47 flattop from the last year of production (1962) and as you described it ("looks nearly new") it would be worth more than $300 - $400. I would think easily $600 even with no box or papers. Perhaps more to the right buyer.

A serious collector is looking for the new-in-box, unfired, pristine and complete with papers examples which fetch the top dollar. Your friend's has been fired, no box, some visible wear so that sounds more like a really nice shooter. And really nice unconverted old model shooters still fetch a nice price just not the numbers that start bumping the $1K mark.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

As Waveform indicated, the 7 1/2" barrel makes a little bit of a difference. No where as common as the usual 6 1/2", especially if eagle stamped. But I believe the production year is 1961.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Dougan and RENE show that gun made in late 1960, early 1961, definitely a Flattop.

With evidence of use as you describe it's not a "collector piece" in the strictest sense, but unless it's really "beat" it should bring no less than $500 IMHO.

Hey, it's 55 years old and THEY AREN'T MAKING THOSE ANY MORE.

The real "zinger" here is the fact that it's a 7-1/2" gun, of which perhaps only 750 or so were made out of the 30,000 or so .44 Flatties made. The price should reflect this.

Just so you know, the RENE Price Guide lists any of the 7-1/2" .44 Flatties at well over $1000 IN COLLECTOR CONDITION, without a box.

JMHO
:)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I agree with Waveform and Ale-8. $300 or $400 would be a going price for a nice used Old Model Super Blackhawk, but the fact that it is an original Flattop makes it worth more. A lot of Ruger 44 mag fans, myself included, would love to have one of those originals, with or without the box. I'd certainly pay $500 or for one, maybe more.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Tom- I also think its a $500+ gun and would be interested in it when you decide to sell. Like you I am new to this forum and have not figured out how to send private messages. You can contact me at [email protected]. Greystonedog
You need to have more posts &/or time as a member (IIRC it is 10 posts or 30 days before you can access the PM system)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts