Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard of this?

I was working at the bench today when I came across 400 rounds of R-P nickel 44 Magnum cases. The case head and primer had purple ink or stain all over it. When I bought these cases about 30 years ago, the gentleman that I bought them from claimed they were proof brass. He said they were loaded to either 150% or 200% of full power loads to check firearms. I can't remember which because I am getting old and senile. They run through the sizer die like normal brass. No extra pressure needed to size them. The primers seat like normal brass. Everything feels like normal brass.
I have other nickel Remington brass and it seems to be the same thing. Just no purple case heads.
Any ideas if this is a load of crap or some kind of special brass?

It is amazing what you find when you clean the bench every 2 or 3 decades. LOL!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,807 Posts
trainking, Factory proof loads are head stamped with the manufacturer code (ie R-P) then the word PROOF along with the cartridge name (ie 44 Mag) Just about all current proof loads come from Black Hills and are marked BHA PROOF. Proof loads are not sold to the public ... only to firearms manufacturers so empty proof brass is hard to come by. Ruger used to ship guns with a spent case (required by some states) and those cases were usually from proof ammo. So ... it's very doubtful your R-P cases were proof loads unless someone hand loaded them to proof load standards.

44 Mag max SAAMI pressure standards are 36k psi, proof loads are 130%, making them about 46,800 psi. No way would a gun hold up to 150% or worse yet 200%

Years ago when I was on a pistol team, all members had their own "color code" so they could claim their spent brass. Mine was a red crescent moon. My guess .... someone used purple to identify their cases .... pretty common. Yup, I think you were fed a load of crap!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Iowegan,

I was hoping you would respond.

Your explanation makes more sense then my senile old memory.
They definitely do not say proof on them.
Into the production line they go.

Thank you,
Keith

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Gunner Bill,

That was an interesting read.
I have already resized, tumbled (yes, there is still some stain on the case head), expanded, and primed them. Nothing felt out of the ordinary, so they will get a mild dose of Unique and a 240gr cast bullet. I am getting to old to shoot a lot of heavy loads any more. LOL!

Thank you,
Keith

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like the Shay. You got a live steam one? Please PM me with some pictures if you do. I would like to see them.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Not much to add other than, I traded for a hundred or so nickel .45 colt cases one time and the guy said that they were from proof ammo. After 8 loadings and cleanings in stainless pins, they still show some purple die. They are headstamped RP .45 Colt. They have performed like any other case for me. None have shown signs of wearing out yet.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good morning Big Ed,

The shay in the picture is an electric version.
I do have a live steam shay, but it is a two truck, three cylinder version.
You can see them at ACCUCRAFT TRAINS

Since we are off topic, I will end this.
If you want to discuss trains more, please PM me.

Thank you,
Keith

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good morning Grandpabear,

I have been using walnut to polish my cases with.
It took off most of the stain, so I am inclined to believe what Iowegan said about somebody using the purple to identify the cases.
After reading thousands of posts on the forum, he always appears to be correct in his analysis of firearms and reloading problems.

Thank you,
Keith

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good morning Gunner Bill,

It was not a solid color like shown in your picture.
It was the same color but a lot more streaky.
I wish I had taken a picture before I deprimed and cleaned them.
Also, it was not packaged in any paper boxes.
It came in four 100 round MTM plastic boxes.

Keith

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,807 Posts
trainking, There's nothing different about "proof" cases versus standard cases ... except they may be colored or have the word "PROOF" in the head stamp. For some reason, people think proof cases are stronger or will last longer. I guess that's the reason why you see counterfeit proof cases .... people may think they are worth more.

Gunner Bill's reference makes me want to retract what I said in my above post. I have never seen R-P proof loads but very obviously ... they do exist and have a purple head, so I'll eat crow on this one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Iowegan,

You sure don't have to eat crow on my behalf.
Your answers always seem to be well thought out and even I can understand your answers. Sometimes I have to break out my old engineering books when you get into the higher math. (Boy, I am getting old when I can't remember calculus and differential equations.)

I would have thought if the cases were proof loads, they would be a lot harder to resize and the primer pockets would be loosen up. I use an old Rockchucker (73) that I bought new and it doesn't seem to be to hard to realize when something has been severely overloaded. I use a Lee hand primer that I have had for 20 or 30 years and it is easy to feel the difference when I am priming. With these cases, nothing felt strange or different.

At any rate, they are in my loading que and will be loaded with my normal load. If I find anything strange, I will let the forum know.

I have never seen a proof load and the picture that Gunner Bill showed is a first for me. I take that back. I have seen the single ones that manufacturers put with a new firearm.

Thanks to everybody for the help,
Keith

·
Registered
283 Posts
A while back on "Ruger Inside and Out" they said that every Ruger firearm is tested with a proof load, in every chamber, so a revolver would get 6 of them.
My SP101 was test fired in 2011. The cartridge in the little yellow envelope has what looks like a dark red paint covering the head. I am guessing that is to mark it as a proof load

·
Registered
253 Posts
I posted in the link to the old cast boolit archives, and I may still have some of that purple dyed .44 magnum brass stored away. As I said back then ,that brass was tough!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts