Ruger Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,043 Posts
I'm with Waveform, what did you end up deciding to do? Curious minds want to know.

I know what I should've done. I was pondering on a getting back in the 44mag game for months. I'd sold my last 44mag about a year ago but I had a bunch of ammo sitting around that needed to get shot. What's a gun nut to do but buy a gun to shoot up the ammo, right?

Any way, I couldn't decide whether or not I really needed another gun. About the time I decided I did need another gun I saw a 7.5" Redhawk at Buds. Good price. Perfect match to my 7.5" 45 Colt Redhawk. It was one of the older non barrel shroud guns (which I prefer). Well, I pondered too long. I should've bought it when I first saw it but I wavered and put the idea on the back burner. When I finally did decide to go ahead and buy it they were sold out. Now I can't find one any where. Figures.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
When I finally did decide to go ahead and buy it they were sold out. Now I can't find one any where. Figures.
Yep. I know the feeling. Been there done that. A year or two ago I told my wife from on, if I find a revolver that is on my bucket list, I'll buy it then and there (if price is in normal range of course for the revolver in question). So the last Ruger I bought, I jumped on when one of the forum members said he had a NIB blued fixed sighted 5 1/2" ROA. No vacillating, just PMed and deal was made. Shoots good too. Right now, there is nothing on the bucket list as I've got my set of perfect pack'n revolvers. Not that I might pick up something down the road, just nothing on the radar....

I'm with Waveform, what did you end up deciding to do?
+1. (Hope it was the SBH ;) ) .

·
Registered
486 Posts
I switched from a Redhawk 44 to the Blackhawk 44 because the Redhawk was killing the web of my strong hand. The Blackhawk is far more comfortable for me to shoot. Both are fine revolvers.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've owned both and next 44 will be a 29 or 629. The Super Blackhawk(NM) was more accurate than the 5-1/2" or 7-1/2" Redhawk. All 3 were good guns.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Had both a 7" and a 5" Redhawk at one point in the past. The 7" couldn't hit squat with anything, not factory ammo, not "Keith" loads with bullets I bought from a local caster. The 5" was a tack driver with the same loads. Sadly, had to sell both years ago. Now I have a 44 mag Vaquero, and those same loads shoot where I point. The Vaquero is blue steel, the Redhawks were stainless. Go figure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Super Blackhawk Hunter. That solid rib on the barrel is like having a heavy match barrel, it really helps tame muzzle jump, which is conducive to accuracy.

Plus with the Hunter you can use a scope, red dot, or reflex sight when you want to. I found both the plowhandle and the Bisley shoot well from bags, but with heavy loads offhand, the Bisley is definitely the better choice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you you are looking at a SBH in 44 magnum I suggest trying out one with a Bisley grip to compare against one with a plow handle. I thought I was really going to like a plow handle but not much fun with full magnum loads. But that’s me and you may be different.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you you are looking at a SBH in 44 magnum I suggest trying out one with a Bisley grip to compare against one with a plow handle. I thought I was really going to like a plow handle but not much fun with full magnum loads. But that’s me and you may be different.
I've never had or shot anything with the Bisley grip but I wish I could give one a try. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone at my local Range will be shooting one. Anyway, I still love my SBH Hunter with the Plow handle. I found it to be way easier and far less painful to shoot than my Redhawk in 44 Mag. I ended up selling the RH. I've posted this picture of my SBH before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had both a 7.5 inch Blackhawk with Bisley grip and a 5 inch Redhawk in stainless. I liked the Redhawk better with the Hogue grips and the shorter barrel carried better. A 5 or 6 inch .44 mag is a very useful firearm.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
That’s a nice SBH there Russ. With me at 62 and having big hands the plow handle just doesn’t fit well anymore and isn’t pleasant to shoot especially with anything over mid range 44 special loads. I tried a set of Hogue grips but didn’t work well and was just butt ugly.
However I know several who like the plow handle and didn’t enjoy shooting my SBH Bisley.

·
Registered
486 Posts
That’s a nice SBH there Russ. With me at 62 and having big hands the plow handle just doesn’t fit well anymore and isn’t pleasant to shoot especially with anything over mid range 44 special loads. I tried a set of Hogue grips but didn’t work well and was just butt ugly.
However I know several who like the plow handle and didn’t enjoy shooting my SBH Bisley.
I turn 70 this year. I probably enjoy showing off my SBH at a range more than anything, when everyone else is shooting semi-autos in plastic. It does get noticed for its size, beauty and western style. I'll shoot both magnum and 44 special and I will wear just one, "half finger" shooting glove on my right trigger hand which greatly provides comfort when shooting magnum loads. The grip is large for my hands but wearing the glove seems to make up for it nicely. Without the glove the grip gives me pain at the first joint of the middle finger and that's due to the way the grip panels are shaped. The pain is not caused from shooting. I feel the pressure at that joint from just holding the gun. None of my other single action revolvers with plow handles will do that. I could buy a pair of grips from Hogue but it could be a waste of money. I believe if my stock grips were more rounded at the spot where my middle finger rapps around, that would solve the problem or buy a cheap walnut pair and shape it for comfort myself. Fortunately, the glove solves the problem completely.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I have had both and have hunted with both for me the SBH is the gun I use it feels better in my hand then the SRH and I have no problem shooting some pretty stout reloads in it

41 - 55 of 55 Posts