Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before, is there any differnce between
renington .44mag and plain .44mag? I just got a SRH, was looking at ammo on line and saw there were two kinds, the remington and just .44mag.
Will the SRH shoot both?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
No difference, one and the same.

A lot of cartridges have an official designation that includes the name of the company that introduced the cartridge that often gets shortened with common use. Thus, the 44 Remington Magnum becomes the 44 mag, the 243 Winchester becomes a 243, a 327 Federal Magnum becomes a 327 Mag, the 32 H&R magnum becomes a 32 mag and so on. Most of the time this is harmless, albeit a little sloppy, but there are times when you need to specify the whole name to be safe. For example, a 45 Colt is a completely different cartridge than a 45 auto, also called the 45 ACP and then there is the 44 auto magnum which is not the same cartridge at all as the 44 magnum, oops, 44 Remington magnum. Sometimes no rhyme or reason to the way cartridges are named, but not to worry, hang around the shooting world long enough and you'll get the hang of it.

Good question, by the way. I'm sure a lot of folks have wondered.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
It gets a bit more complicated with the one-way compatibility of some ammunition.
Example, 44 magnum and S&W 44 Special. You can shoot the 44 Special in a 44 Magnum weapon, but you cannot safely shoot a 44 magnum round in a 44 Special gun. AND The 44 Special round will not generate enough 'power' to activate a Ruger 44 mag carbine's self-loading action. Quirks like this are best learned before buying and using a gun with a 'multi-round caliber' capability.

Another one that can get confusing is the S&W 38, 38 Special, and 357 magnum.

Digging out the details can be an adventure in research at times, but well worth the effort, considering the possible outcomes of an error in judgement.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone, when I was a kid in the 70's it was just a .44 mag :D
I can't wate to get to the rang, I can't pick it up till Tue. state law 72hrs. wate.

·
Registered
671 Posts
In addition to being able to shoot .44 Special in a .44 Mag revolver, you can safely shoot .44 Russian. It is available from several makers and you can reload for it. A very very mild recoiling but accurate cartridge.

·
Registered
421 Posts
ruger 41 if thats not yer wife or yer gf can i get her number ?LOL

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
state law 72hrs. wate.
Try ten days here and it use to be fifteen for handguns. The even sillier thing is that if you don't hurry up and pick up your gun, they make you do the paperwork all over again because you may have turned into a criminal in that short period of time. Go figure. Smithy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A some calibers have multiple names, so it just adds to confusion....

.380 ACP for example

It's also called .380 Auto, 9mm Browning, 9mm Corto, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Short, and 9x17mm.

But it is not .38 ACP! Or .38 Special, or the same as .38 Super or .38 S&W!

Confused yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts