Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I am looking for some reloading information for the 44 Rhino.
I have been lurking on the forum for 3 or 4 years now and decided I should join. I have been reading and digesting a lot of Iowegan's advice. I am hoping he or anybody for that matter might have some data for this caliber.
I have some ideas but most of the old articles call for Win 680 powder which hasn't been made for some time now. I am looking at using Sierra 240 gr JHP and H110 to start with. I am thinking about starting at 30.0gr and increasing 1 grain at a time to 33. Then increasing 1/2 gr to 35.
I will have to shoot these over a couple of days as I do not relish that much pounding in one day.
Also, I would be interested in any data for a gas checked 300 gr. hard cast lead bullet.
Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
You can contact Hodgdon directly. This might be the way to go with such a unique round. They have been helpful to me when I asked.

That is close to a .445 Supermag, is it not? I am glad it's you holding the revolver & not me.

Welcome to the forum & you might want to post in the "New Users" section for a proper intro.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you moakes58,

I never thought of contacting Hodgdon directly. I will do that.

Yes, it is close to a 445 SuperMag. The 445 case is 1.610". The Rhino case is 1.750" and the 44 Mag is of course 1.285".
The Rhino's parent case is the 30-40 Krag cut back and expanded to 44 caliber.

I was reading John Taffin's book, Big Bore Sixgun's, last week and after reading the chapter on Dan Wesson's SuperMags, the light bulb came on.
I realized I had one stashed some where. I shot it about 20 years ago with some ammo that came with it. If I remember correctly and old age has a habit of repressing bad memories, it kicks about the same as a 454 Casull.

I had 28 rounds of ammo for it and before I shot them it never occurred to me to take one apart to record the information. The only thing that is written on the box is 40 grs. of Win 680. That is why I am looking at starting with the 445 SuperMag data and when I get to its maximum start moving in 1/2 gr increments until I see pressure signs.

I will call Hodgdon and get their opinion.
I will let you know what happens.
Thank you.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally talked to Hodgdon last week and the gentleman had never heard of the cartridge. We discussed it and he said he could not give any direct help. He did think I was on the right track starting with the 445 Supermag data.
I did start at 30 grains of H110 and went to 34 grains, one grain at a time. 30 and 31 grains were erratic at best. 32, 33, and 34 grains all fell out of the cylinder.
The recoil was actually pleasant. It kicked less than a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Of course, the Dan Wesson weighs just under 4 pounds.
The next plan is to start moving up in .3 grain increments, heading to about 36 grains. I also think it is time to break out the chronograph.

Thank you Michael for the tip to call Hodgdon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts