Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally shot my SS SBH 4 5/8 today. My first big bore Ruger after shooting for many years. All I can say is what was I waiting for. This will be my backpacking gun when in bear country.

With .44 specials, it was just plain fun. With magnums, it was a handfull. It shot a little high, but other than that, it is a great gun. With the 4 5/8 in barrell, the ejector doesn't push out the empties, you have to work with it. I'm sure practice will make perfect. So my questions:

The grip profile was made for this gun. I love the look and feel of the Rosewood grips, but they are a little slippery when wet (it rained on us today). Is there a factory style grip that is not as slippery, and also looks good on this gun? Pics would be helpful.

There are some sharp edges around the grip frame, especially at the top of the grip, just below the hammer. With magnums and not a firm grip (aka slippery), when the gun is fired, it rocks back and will bite the web of my hand. Has anyone rounded or smoothed out any of those edges, or is there someone that does this.

The factory sights are ok, but if there is a not too expensive replacement sight, I would love to see pics. Suggestions?

I plan on buying the Galco SAO for both high ride and cross draw carry. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a good field holster.

Thanks for everyones help on this forum, it is great.

I will see some of you on the 10/22 forum soon as I plan on getting a SS 10/22 soon. It must be the free Ruger bb cap they gave me when i bought the SBH. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try ESMERELDA for the grips. Or Ebay. A single action is supposed to rotate up when fired, it is to help mitigate felt recoil. So some checkering can be helpful but too sharp can be painful(will act like sand paper on your hand). I'm guessing the sharp edges are where the screws attach the grip to the receiver? The only answer I can think of is to get a GOOD smith to do a MELT job to vanquish the sharp edges.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You can get checkered rosewood grips for it. And a little stone work will take those edges off.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
... it rocks back and will bite the web of my hand.
You need to hold it tighter with both hands. Called learning to shoot Magnums :) . I think most of us have a little scar where the hammer has bit into back of hand :p . Your not the first!

The ejector housing is the same length on the 4 5/8, 6 1/2", 7 1/2" barrels. Only on the ~3 revolvers is the ejector housing 'shorter' . You just need to 'kick' them out with a sharper pull on the ejector button.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I get Checkered Rosewood grips? Any other options out there? I tried swapping grips with my single six, but they are a little flatter and smaller than the Rosewoods and create some sharp edges around the grip.

I agree onhow the gun recoils. The Rosewoods work until they gey wet, then the grip is really slippery. As this will be a field gun, I wanted a grip that wasn't so slick when wet. Thats how I got bit.

Suggestions on sights and leather?

Thanks again, I love this gun..

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you have shot many .44 Specials you may be getting a fouling build-up in the cylinder that is keeping the .44 Mag. empties from dropping free when ejected. The same thing happens when you shoot .38 Specials in a .357 Mag. Run a bronze brush with some Hoppes thru the cylinder when you switch from .44 Specials to .44 Mag.

Grampie not Grumpie,

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
I finally shot my SS SBH 4 5/8 today. - - - snip - - - With magnums, it was a handfull. - - - snip - - -
The grip profile was made for this gun. - - - snip - - - Is there a factory style grip that is not as slippery, and also looks good on this gun?
Howdy SSport, Congrats on your new SBH. I had my SBH with a 3 ¾" barrel out this week. I empathize and "feel your pain" shooting .44 Magnums from a short barrel. :D It's REALLY dramatic though, to say the least. It's not the first time I've had this revolver out so I knew what to expect. :eek:

Like you, I switched, after only one cylinder of 1400 fps, 240 gr. FJM mags, to .44 Specials (950 fps, 250 gr. FMJ) and really enjoyed running a full box of those through it. I've made a vow not to shoot magnums through this gun ever again unless I slip on a set of Herrett's Oversize Target grips first. :)

Here's a link to Altamont Grip Company. I've linked it to the Blackhawk section because your "short barrel" SBH takes XR3 RED style Blackhawk grips. As you can see, they offer some very attractive rosewood grips with checkering and other grip enhancing designs.

Altamont Company - Ruger

As to the sights, i like the adjustable factory ones. I did add a tiny drop of white enamel to the top, flat surface of the front sight. I've found it really helps. I'm sticking with the factory wood grips for now. Maybe, after I see the set of Sack Peterson elk horn stag grips that are on order for my new Vaquero Montado 3 ¾" barrel, I'll order a set of those for my SBH.

Good luck with you new six shooter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like Rosewood, but not that keen on the checkering. Any other options out there for a field gun? I

I may have to just do the same on my site unless someone has a better idea out there.

Anyone else round some of teh edges on these guns? Best method?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Magnaport Question

Has anyone magnaported a 4 5/8 in barrel SBH?

If so, did it make a big difference firing magnum loads?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you saying that it is a lot louder with a Magnaport. If it cuts recoil a lot, I would consider doing it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a ported .44 5.5" RedHawk. It did make it less intimidating to move up to .44 Mags, however I now wish it was not ported.

Funny story, a porcupine came at me while I was out bear hunting, I took a shot and about blew my ears off, head hurt for hours. If you always shoot from a fixed stand, fine, you can have ear plugs inside muffs layered up, and not hurt your ears at all. But if you walk around hunting, you'll be screwed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Personally I would not Magnaport anything. You can wear hearing protection at the range & it is not that big of an issue in the field. You can learn to deal with the recoil...but you are stuck with the increased noise once you Magnaport it.

For grips on a field gun I would suggest the Monogrip line from Hogue. They are somewhat larger than factory grips...textured rubber...finger grooves etc. I like them & they are easily found for about $20

I don't know if Hi Viz makes replacement sights for the SBH or not, but I put one of their front sights on my SRH and was stunned at the difference it made. Might check into that.

It is hard to make a better choice for a field gun than the stainless SBH...enjoy it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Also have the 4.625" .44 Mag, bought very lightly used in box. After the first few 255 gr 429244s and a max charge, I could understand why.

Had not fully realized that from the bench it is fairly short yardage from the recoil-driven front sight to my forehead... Never bit me, but close.

My solution was to firm up the grip on revolver. Ultimately found it preferred Sierra 210 gr bullets best [still over max 2400], making a major difference in handling. You might find some load change, still within your desired purpose, would assist. BTW, never having owned one, but having been nearby on 'detonation', would not consider magnaporting.

Good luck,

Dyson

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Having shot a friends Taurus Tracker .44 that was ported side by side with my 4 5/8 SBH that is not ported, it is a very noticeable difference in noise, and even with the reduction of recoil, i found it more uncomfortable to shoot even though i had muffs on due to the increase of blast and concussion. Shooting from the hip? Forget it! One cylinder full of my usual load without ear protection will leave my ears ringing, i can't imagine what it'd be like in a ported gun, even hunting you'd have to have constant ears on, which lead my friend to sell his.

I have used a Galco SAO for my SBH for two years now, and could not be happier. It holds the gun tight to my body hiking, hunting, riding or working, and i carry my gun alot, nearly daily at work. I also like the ablity to both strong side and cross-draw, changing it up helps if you are wearing it everyday while having a high level of activity. I got mine for around $60, which is pretty darn cheap for how it has held up over the years. I also like that i can adjust the tension on the gun.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was always a little sceptical about muzzle brakes on a handgun but recently learned just how big a difference they can make. I have both rugers and smiths and in this case it was a smith 500. I hunt with a scoped 8 inch gun and also have a 4inch. I've shot the 4 inch quite a bit with the factory muzzle brake with 370 grain cast and 42 grains of h110. I didn't particularly like the looks of the brake and aquired a substitute brake with NO HOLES in it from a FRIEND (?) Shot it 5 times with good accuracy but The knuckle of my trigger finger was jamed so bad that I havn't been able to shoot anything much above a 10 mm for about a week and a half. The holeless brake looks kool, but its a killer. Yes Dorathy, they realy work and can keep you from getting hurt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cowboy, you are in for trouble if you don't wear muffs. That ringing is PERMANENT nerve damage. I,m 69 and wear 2 hearing aids. Forget the muffs and you will pay a price!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts