Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just took the calipers to my brand new .45 BH and the cylinder mouths(?), the exit end, measured .449 across the board. I haven't slugged the barrel yet but when I find a good way to do it, not with an actual lead bullet, I'll get that done too.
My question(s) is/are, shouldn't the cylinder mouth be at least .451-.452? I mean, if you're shooting .452 bullets to get good bearing in the rifling of the barrel, wouldn't it be advantageous to keep your bullets at the .452 size instead of having them "extruded" down to .449?
And has anyone else experienced this? I'm guessing yes and wondering if you sent it back to Ruger to be corrected or if you reamed it yourself?
Now I gotta check my .44 SBH!

·
Registered
326 Posts
There is something wrong with your measuring. Are you sure you are measuring the side by the barrel? Calipers are not a very accurate way to measure cylinder throats. Pin gauges are the preferred method. I just read your post again. Do you mean .449”?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is something wrong with your measuring. Are you sure you are measuring the side by the barrel? Calipers are not a very accurate way to measure cylinder throats. Pin gauges are the preferred method. I just read your post again. Do you mean .449”?
Yeah, I just came back to make my corrections. I was watching a video on cylinder reaming and had a thought that I had posted .490 and yep, I was right errr wrong! Well, you know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
21,192 Posts
Yeah, I just came back to make my corrections. I was watching a video on cylinder reaming and had a thought that I had posted .490 and yep, I was right errr wrong! Well, you know what I mean.
Had me scratching my head for a minute. Good luck getting them uniform. I changed the title to reflect the correction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
.449" sound on the small side. I'm bidding on a NIB BH .45 Colt and had the seller measure the throats. He said they were .452". I asked him to see if a .451" jacketed bullet would pass through them and he claims that while they are snug, they do.

I wish you good luck on your revolver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In lieu of a pin gauge you might use a ball end small hole gauge and a micrometer. Or just see if a jacketed .451 dia. bullet will pass through the cylinder throats.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
What Doc said. The Blackhawk I had measured .455", wouldn't shoot anything...................................Bore mesured .451"...... Ruger said within spec.............................Oh well...............

·
Registered
32 Posts
If throats are clean, I'm betting a .451" jacketed projectile will pass through them with little to moderate effort on a recent production model.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts