Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Blackhawk in 45LC caliber. I also have this mold and was just wondering if anyone else uses this bullet and what powder are you shooting.

So far, my most accurate powder has been 9.0 grains of Unique for a MV of approximately 974 fps.

Any one else...BCB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. You can go hotter with Unique and continue to get good results if you're looking for real stout loads. For heavy loads 2400, W296, and H110 are also good stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Handloader April 2007 has a article. I am shopping for rank beginner casting stuff right now, and your mould will be the one I start with.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eastwa,

Thanks for the info on the article in Handloader Magazine concerning the 45-270-SAA mold.

I read all the articles in Handloader that I could find on the 45 Colt—I have copies back into the early 1980’s, but I knew I had read something specifically on that bullet. You found it for me.

I had been using 300-grain bullet data for the 45-270-SAA so I really wasn’t sure as to where I was standing as far at minimum/maximum loads. It is interesting that all the powders I used, Pearce used also! His chronographed velocities are extremely close to what I got also! Now I have more data from the article to use. Yet, it seems at this point of the game, accuracy is very good with my 9.0 grains of Unique. I am going to my range right now and fine tune the point of impact. I have been able to hit 24 ounce soft drink plastic bottles with it at 25 yards using a good rest. It also has been deadly on my 5.5”x11” steel pendulum at 50 yards. So far I am pleased with the bullet. It may be all I ever shoot from this new Blackhawk…BCB

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just a picture of my results today--If I can get it to post.
Groups were shot at 20 yards with the 45-270-SAA bullet cast from wheel weights (283 grains), 9.0 Unique, and CCI-300's...BCB

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My Wife got me that mould for Christmas, I've cast some & shot some I really like it. It casts well, & is accurate. Frank

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just a picture of my results today--If I can get it to post.
Groups were shot at 20 yards with the 45-270-SAA bullet cast from wheel weights (283 grains), 9.0 Unique, and CCI-300's...BCB
I just got mine today.
Those are good groups.would make a good hunting bullet.
Now, have to find a lead supply.
Watched most of the lead go down in one,or two afternoon's.
Was casting 500gr .458".
Those wine bottle seals sure stinks !Been thinking about washing them.
And several weeks to dry.Have about 20-30 lbs left.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
45 Colt,

I think you would probably do better casting them out of wheel weights than pure lead. I did cast about a dozen from pure lead and I am going to hollow point them this morning--maybe! I am then going to try some expansion tests just out of curiosity. The weather ain't real good here in PA. BUT, maybe the Groundhog will help with the weather situation--Naaaaa!!!

So far, I really like this mold and bullet...BCB

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi BCB,
For my Uberti 45,I did cast quite a few in as close to pure lead as possible.
Had enugh tin to fill out the mold.
These were done in the Lee 255gr.Unsized,lubed with beeswax and Crisco.
At the range,those bullets did some good groups.Some holes,touching,or sometimes,overlapped each other.
The 270gr,figured that this is going to be a hunting bullet.And,will be hard cast.
The write up in the magazine sounded like it was real good.Between the magazine and Frank V,I had to order it.
I'll need to check my notes on the 265gr Bear Creeks.But now the development has been stalled for now.Due to the weather conditions, I cast them outside on the deck.
The 500gr are for my 1884 Springfield Trapdoor-original, and for the NEF Handirifle.Both are loaded the same,it's primarily for safety reasons.(BP/sub powders)
Well, got to go.Spring will get here sometime.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Lets's try this!!!...

I will attempt to post another picture! I can't seem to get a "full" size picture, but I think the ones I post will enlarge if double-clicked upon...

The picture from left to right:

1. Pure lead through 3" of water than to wet newspaper.
2. The actual round with the 45-270-SAA hollow pointed with Forster.
3. Pure lead through 5" of water than to wet newspaper.
4. The 45-270-SAA slug.

This bullet does not penetrate the wet newspaper the same distance as the 44-250-K bullet for the 44 Magnum at approximately the same velocity. Must be the wider meplate on the 45 caliber slug...BCB

·
Registered
320 Posts
Maybe a slightly harder alloy can improve the penetration.
Good pics !

·
Registered
51 Posts
I really like the mould, especially in my 7.5" SS Blackhawk. However in my .45 Colt Mnt Gun, I have to push the velocity up past 1,000 fps to get decent accuracy. Kinda hard on both gun and gunner, so I don't really like to do it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I might try it in my 454.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.