Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
It's a nice test and pretty informative, just not sure I see a significant difference though. For my needs at least. Although powder coated is less messy. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
803 Posts
Powder coating might be the best thing ever but after the moly coated bullet fiasco of a few years back I am waiting to see how this turns out. What I want is to see if there are any long term bore erosion issues caused by the coating or the coating depositing layers in the bore that are all but impossible to remove. I am waiting on a real hard look form an objective review at these issues. Until then I am sticking with tried and tested lubed bullets.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just not sure I see a significant difference though. For my needs at least. Jeff
exactly!
for the real world in handgun shooting
i cant see any difference between them, that 7/16" would have won a match that day, but tomorrow it could swing the other way
powdercoat takes more time
but its less messy, has purdy colors, you can get by with a softer alloy for better bore sealing
and you can play sizing games with it as well
so is it better?
for me it is, but not from a accuracy standpoint, thats a draw
i just like having fun
and doing testing of things is fun
as i am a geeky science type at heart :eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Until then I am sticking with tried and tested lubed bullets.
i dont mind being a guinea pig in this case
so far clean bores is what i get
i know there has been some blather about the matte finish coatings
especially the black matte, assisting in throat erosion in some rifle barrels
so we have that to watch
but like everything else someone will have a trouble, real or not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
803 Posts
When I first heard of this process I was curious enough to contact both Handloader Magazine and the NRA technical staff. Handloader in a nutshell suggested waiting to see some long term results and the NRA said there was no technical information yet about these bullet coatings. So I elect to not use them at this time. When I read in American Rifleman that they are the real deal I will be first in line to shoot some. Until then I will just be the old fud.:D

·
Registered
287 Posts
Note: there is a big difference between tumbling a jacketed bullet in pure MoS2 powder and using a moly/poly coat like Precision Bullets (plus, I often suspected the "problems" with moly powder were as over-blown as the hype to use it in the first place).
45/45/10 and LLA are cheaper and require no equipment for use.
Since I wash my hands after reloading, I never cared if there was some lube on my hands. It all washed off. If you actually have a mess with LLA or 45/45/10, you are using WAY too much and need to back down. Neither should be visible on the dry bullet.
I can lube 500 cast lead bullets in about 30-60 seconds with LLA or 45/45/10.
I really like Precision Bullets' moly/poly coat, but they aren't more accurate than other swaged lead bullets (Zero, Precision Delta, and Magnus)--they are just better than most cast and sized lead bullets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts