Ruger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from the range after test firing my first (ever) batch of 45 ACP reloads with my SR1911. I loaded the Nosler 185 gr jhp with Titegroup powder, starting at 4.8 gr, then 5.0 gr, and finished with 5.2 gr (10 rounds of each). All of the cartridges had an o.a.l. of 1.200 - 1.205. The 4.8 and 5.0 loads cycled and fired without a problem, but I had 4 or 5 of the 5.2 loads that would hang up on the ramp, becoming wedged between the ramp and the slide. After clearing the jam, I noticed the next round in the magazine had moved forward about 1/4" in the magazine, but I don't know if this could be the cause of the jams or if it's something else. Coincidentally, the 5.2 loads were giving me the tightest groupings, noticeably tighter than the other 2 loads.

Any suggestions or recommendations as a way to troubleshoot the jamming problem? The easy way out would be to stick with the lighter loads, but I would rather not sacrifice accuracy if I don't have to......

·
Banned
619 Posts
Since you like the potential of the 5.2 gr. load, I would try loading them slightly longer at 1.220". That will cut down some of the distance the bullet jumps from the magazine to the feedramp. My experience with Nosler handgun bullets has all been positive including using their customer service. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was using the 1.200 COL based on some data I received from Nosler customer support, but I will load a few more rounds in the 1.220-1.230 range to see if there's any improvement feeding my SR1911.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.