Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just a "duh huh" question on .45 Auto hardball ammo..

Is Remington UMC brand ammo designated type MC, (metal case), the same as other ammo brand makers designated type FMJ, (full metal jacket)? :confused:

I want to tell myself it is but I need your confirmation...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
827 Posts
My understanding has always been that FMJ has an exposed lead base while MC is a bullet fully metal enclosed, including the base. As far as performance they would be equivalent.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I thought that Remington UMC stood for the division of Remington that used to be called Union Metallic Cartridge Company. Sort of a wholly owned subsidiary.
Of course I could be WAY OFF. :)

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that Remington UMC stood for the division of Remington that used to be called Union Metallic Cartridge Company. Sort of a wholly owned subsidiary.
Of course I could be WAY OFF. :)
You are correct, UMC has been around for the last 140 years...

Thanks guys for the feedback on my question!

·
Registered
998 Posts
FMJ bullets are actually quite decieving. Full Metal Jacketed bullets usually have lead exposed at their base so it's not a fully encased bullet. Remingtons "MC" is just the abbreviation they use for their FMJ ammo. What I use is TMJ bullets to prevent lead fouling. TMJ are total metal jacketed bullets that feature a metal jacket that fully encases the lead core including the bullets base so that lead doesn't vaporize upon ignition and cause lead fouling in the barrel. There are also lead free solid copper bullets that do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts