Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my .45 ACP Vaquero Birdshead back from Mahovsky's, where it got the Metalife treatment.

Everything looks great, there's some crud in the firing pin channel, I'll have to blast it out with something. Probably from when they removed the blue or chromed it, the pin feels "sticky". No big deal.

It's a great looking finish, it's not "scratch proof", from working the action there's already some rub marks on the side of the hammer, but it is now pretty much impervious to holster wear and rust. Come to think of it the rub marks may already have been there. The chrome finish is VERY thin, and any surface marks already on the gun will show right through the chrome, as it "bonds" with the steel with a micro-layer, it isn't a thick "cover up" coat, so it won't hurt the tolerances.

It reminds me of the matte stainless found on Charter Arms guns cosmetically.

I put on the Kirinite "Black Pearl" grips I had waiting for it, looks good to me, it's ready for woods carry or just as a heavy range shooter.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
I dig the flat look. The little mad max in me likes to dull new fancy objects and make them mine. Resell value is of little to no interest when I pick something out for myself. Looks good bud

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
ExArmy11B was your BirdsHead .45acp originally blued?? My thoughts on your gun Wow really really beautiful gun I like the finish its different in a way that really ads a nice touch to it! BTW in this configuration of revolver in the BirdsHead grip. How does the BirdsHead grip work with handling the felt recoil from the .45acp??? I have been wanting either a .357/.38 Special BirdsHead or a .45acp BirdsHead. The .38 Special would be very light in recoil but not so with a .357 My other thought is finding a .357/.38 Special in this design I think I would have to look at a Uberti but not so with one in .45acp. But here I am rambling on!!! I see a nice gun like yours just makes me want one!!!

·
Premium Member
4,318 Posts
I like it a lot! Different is cool and there's nothing more satisfying than putting your own touch to something. Well done.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You guys:)

Yes it was blued originally, I got it from a somewhat shady GunBroker dealer and I think it was a return, it had some damage to the blue in spots and some haze rust. So.........I had been wanting to hard chrome something, so this seemed to be the perfect candidate.

I will get a Simply Rugged for it as funds allow, it may work itself into my CC rotation.

The Birdshead grip is perfect for .45 ACP, I don't think I would like it for hot .44 Mag-level .45 Long Colt loads, if I had the .45 LC version. Another attraction is I can use something like a Glock mag as a "speedloader", those stubby, fat .45 ACP rounds just drop right into the chambers.

When I was choosing a color for the Kirinite grips, the Black Pearl seemed the best option for this gun, White Pearl would have IMO looked too "pimp", colors like Red or Green pearlite would have been too "loud" for me, for a carry type gun, but the Black pearl still gives it a modern look, but doesn't make it look too out of wack for a Single Action.

I think at some point I will hard chrome a Double Action, maybe if I pick up a 60's-70's era S&W 28 or an older 70's era Security Six that is "blue challenged" for a good price it may get the Hard Chrome treatment.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
<snip>The Birdshead grip is perfect for .45 ACP, I don't think I would like it for hot .44 Mag-level .45 Long Colt loads, if I had the .45 LC version. Another attraction is I can use something like a Glock mag as a "speedloader", those stubby, fat .45 ACP rounds just drop right into the chambers.
First of all, I think your 45 Colt convertible cylinder is missing, if I am correct that Ruger doesn't offer a 45 ACP-only single action. Secondly, the gun or any New Vaquero (is this a first generation Vaquero?) should not be considered capable of shooting top level, Ruger-only loads in 45 Colt. The Tier 2 stuff at approximately 45 ACP pressure levels is my preference in my New Vaquero and what I would recommend for the bigger guns, not so much this one, with that grip and shorter barrel.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Interesting. I have a stainless steel .45ACP Birdshead that looks like it is chromed.

You have a chromed one that looks like it is stainless steel.

Go figure.

·
Banned
575 Posts
To these old eyes...

Chrome plating appears "white" sort of like aluminum.

With stainless steel and nickel plate, I see kind of a yellow cast.

At any rate..that's a great looking birdie. Those black pearl grips somehow go well with the chrome finish. Nice job.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You:)

It is marked .45 ACP, these TALO Birdsheads were made in both stainless and blue, in either .45 LC or ACP.

I do, however, have a .45 LC/ACP convertible 5.5" Vaquero on layaway, that will be mainly a .45 ACP revolver.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the stainless, with the standard grip.

I'm just picking up the last of the Rugers that I "need" for a while, I just wanted a few solid single actions in .45 ACP for just all around "tools", for the range, etc. .45 ACP is a lot easier to find than LC and cost a lot less, but still a blast to shoot at the range.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I do like the "satin" chrome look. Sadly and boo hoo, they never made them in convertibles as far as I know just 45ACP or 45 Colt and blue and polished SS. I have one in 45ACP and really like it. Shooting it is about the same as a regular grip.

Now I do have a Lipsey flat top convertible and it looks like the 45 Colt cylinder is an almost perfect fit for the birds head but have not shot it that way yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts