Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts
I am not shooting one in the head or neck. I have seen what poor shots will do. Maim an animal and leave no blood trail to follow.

Nope, sorry....I send them all into the front of the chest and hope for a far side shoulder.

YMMV.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Gargoyle, please dont take this the wrong way, but if you have never been hunting, I would not use a .45 ACP. Can it do it? Yes, see all the good comments above. But if you are new to hunting, there is a skillset that can only be developed by doing. As a new hunter, how do you know what a perfect shot looks like? Also, shooting on the range and shooting at an animal is completely different. Have you heard the term buck fever? Adrenaline can do strange things to even seasoned hunters causing strange things to happen to their marksmanship skills. Without ever having hunted, do you know how you will react and the experience to know how to overcome the emotions and adrenaline that you will certainly be feeling? And even after executing a perfect shot, do you have the required tracking skills to follow up a deer with a scant to non-existent blood trail? These are all skills that are very learnable and I applaud your desire to hunt. I really do. I hope you take up the sport and introduce hunting and shooting to all your friends and relatives. There are not enough new hunters taking up the sport. I would just recommend using something different, at least until you have built up some experience. Good luck and let us know how your journey goes. There is a lot of good people here with a lot of knowledge.
I'm not offended at all. This is all great feedback honestly. I have zero experience with hunting, so every bit helps. Currently what I have on hand for the job is a SRH, .454 type. That's more mustard than what's necessary, so a warm Colt might be appropriate.

I reside in Oregon where most anything is legal to hunt with .22 or larger; handgun, rifle, doesn't make a difference. And I just arbitrarily went with 25 yards because there's some thick Cascade brush out here, and most shots are close.

My inquiry with the .45 Auto was mainly to see if one could potentially hunt with what they carry and range with. Certainly not the ideal, but one can dream right?

I returned to hunting deer three years ago, after more than 20 years away. I have hunted a lot of small game on our farm, mostly nuisance varmints, in the interim. My feeling is that a hunter should use a rifle, scoped or not, or a shotgun. Yes, it is more ethical. A handgun, to me, is a poor choice except for finishing off wounded game. I hunt in the woods on the ground with shotgun slugs up to about 40 yards or in an elevated blind, with a scoped .30-06, out to 100 yards, not my 1911. Elmer Keith, the patron saint of big bore handguns, writes of handguns for larger game:

“With factory loads the .357 Magnum, .44-40 and .45 Colt are all superior to the .45 auto rim and .44 Special in actual killing power but hand load them and the picture is greatly changed. The .44 Special is the cream of the crop.”

He had a lot of experience hunting with all sorts of weapons, also noting:

“The most powerful sixgun loads are far under ordinary rifle loads in actual killing power, so one should use the most powerful sixgun he can get if any big game is to be killed with the short gun.”

Both quotes are in his book Sixguns. He also disliked scoped handguns. In Southern Indiana, the old-timers who taught me were mightily ticked off when the state first allowed handguns for hunting. Felt that more animals would end up wounded. It does happen with long guns, but if one practices hitting vitals and can follow wounded game, that is how I got taught to hunt. As with self defense, a rifle with the right caliber is a better one-shot killer.

A long arm will be better for filing the freezer with meat.

.45 ACP in Hornady 185 JHP +P should do the trick, provided you can hit a 10" diameter paper plate set out at 25 yards (your self-imposed maximum range) EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You also need to calibrate your eye so you reliably know what 25 yards looks like, or set out some kind of range marker so you won't inadvertently take a shot that is past 25 yards, or both. It can be easy to misjudge range when you get excited.

This bunch disappoints me. I’ve been checking off and on looking for one response and I haven’t seen it. So here goes.

The OP states he’s never hunted. To that, my response is start by going squirrel hunting and learn how to play the “game”. Isn’t that how most of us started, I know I did 50 years ago. These responses make it sound like everyone is giving a seasoned hunter advice, not someone fresh out of the box.

As unfortunate as it is there are seasoned hunters who miss/wounded deer at 25yds every year with a rifle. The average in Missouri is 37yds. To think a new hunter is going to opt for a headshot at 25yds or less when it’s broadside is silly.....it won’t happen. I won’t do that with a rifle or pistol, it turns into a low percentage shot regardless of how well you shoot.

OP, if you really want to hunt deer start with a rifle, when it gets to easy and you want more of a challenge, then pick-up a pistol. Do I hunt with a pistol? You betcha I do, but it’s chambered in 7-08 Rem.

I respect the game I hunt, and as a hunter it’s my responsibility to put that animal down as fast and ethically as humanly possible. Threads like this bring out the worst in me. Sorry for the rant.
Nothing wrong with your first hunting experience to be for deer. Check my earlier post and I did recommend starting with a rifle or shotgun. Since the OP stated later that he would be hunting in thick brush with close shots, I would actually rescind the advice of a rifle and say use a shotgun. Not everyone begins with squirrel.

This bunch disappoints me. I’ve been checking off and on looking for one response and I haven’t seen it. So here goes.

The OP states he’s never hunted. To that, my response is start by going squirrel hunting and learn how to play the “game”. Isn’t that how most of us started, I know I did 50 years ago. These responses make it sound like everyone is giving a seasoned hunter advice, not someone fresh out of the box.

As unfortunate as it is there are seasoned hunters who miss/wounded deer at 25yds every year with a rifle. The average in Missouri is 37yds. To think a new hunter is going to opt for a headshot at 25yds or less when it’s broadside is silly.....it won’t happen. I won’t do that with a rifle or pistol, it turns into a low percentage shot regardless of how well you shoot.

OP, if you really want to hunt deer start with a rifle, when it gets to easy and you want more of a challenge, then pick-up a pistol. Do I hunt with a pistol? You betcha I do, but it’s chambered in 7-08 Rem.

I respect the game I hunt, and as a hunter it’s my responsibility to put that animal down as fast and ethically as humanly possible. Threads like this bring out the worst in me. Sorry for the rant.

Mark2014: +1:thumbsup:

OP - if you haven't been deer hunting before - please, do yourself a favor and use a rifle chambered in a suitable deer caliber for a quick and clean kill. Something in a 25 to 30 caliber range, with a decent bullet designed for deer hunting (a heavy for caliber Remington Core-Lokt may not be fancy, but you don't need fancy to harvest a deer). I don't recall if you said you are a seasoned rifle shooter, but if not, go to the range, practice @ 25 yards, practice @ 50 yards, practice @ 100yds. Get your scope dialed in, and make sure you can pattern an area at least half the size of a deer's vitals at any given distance.

For your first few deer, select shots only at 50 yards and closer. Buck fever is real - lots of adrenaline coursing through your veins will make you forget about shooting basics, and makes you more likely to fall into old bad habits like jerking the trigger, flinching with anticipation for recoil, etc. You will get better at this the more experience you have, but others are correct - it even affects seasoned hunters. Wait for the cleanest shot you possibly can. If you don't have a clear shooting lane to the heart and lungs, don't try to punch through brush - you have a high probability of deflection and wounding or missing the animal. Do not attempt raking shots, and save the headshots and pistols until a time where you are supremely confident in you skill level.

Generally, I've found deer tend to fall within 0-100 yards after a clean shot to the lungs or heart (but they do occasionally run farther). After the shot, you should commit the deer's last location and direction of travel to memory, and wait 15-30 minutes to let the animal fall down and die. If you get down too soon and made a less then ideal shot, you risk it getting up and running into the next county.

Regarding your original question - yes, a 45 ACP out of a pistol can kill a deer (but so can a 22lr to the right spot, a hammer, an ice pick, or eating too much fatty bacon). It is a caliber that served our military well over multiple wars, and many decades, but it is a far from an ideal deer caliber. Most hunter's goals are to get a clean and fast kill, minimal tracking after the shot with high probability of recovery. Simply put, there are a truckload of better calibers suited for that job.

Mark204, I, like most of us on the forum are not here to disappoint you. From what I can clearly see we were just answering the op’s question. And most of us being hunters felt the importance of giving him some advice. I think the op is clearly mature enough to handle any advice from any of us. Just because you don’t agree with are answers doesn’t make us wrong. Maybe next time instead of calling us all out and expressing how wrong we all are. You should just post your opinion on how you would go about hunting your way. Just like we posted our opinion on how we would do it our way.

I've never been a believer in starting on small game, I did when I was a kid but I've introduced a number of people into hunt where the 1st game they ever shot was a pig, goat or a deer.
Nothing wrong with starting big, just practice until it's second nature and don't get worked up.

Best way to do do that is scout a lot in the off season, once you get used to deer everywhere then buck fever will e reduced as your used to seeing them at hunting ranges.

Mark204, I, like most of us on the forum are not here to disappoint you. From what I can clearly see we were just answering the op’s question. And most of us being hunters felt the importance of giving him some advice. I think the op is clearly mature enough to handle any advice from any of us. Just because you don’t agree with are answers doesn’t make us wrong. Maybe next time instead of calling us all out and expressing how wrong we all are. You should just post your opinion on how you would go about hunting your way. Just like we posted our opinion on how we would do it our way.

GunsmokeSam, Hmmmm, first I never said anyone was wrong, did I? I thought being disappointed was expressing my opinion, you seem to be the only one who took it personally though.

I realize you're fairly new to the forum, I suggest you grow thicker skin if you plan on sticking around. A personal attack on a member is a big no-no, not agreeing with the content of your post or anyone else's for that matter is fair game.

GunsmokeSam, Hmmmm, first I never said anyone was wrong, did I? I thought being disappointed was expressing my opinion, you seem to be the only one who took it personally though.

I realize you're fairly new to the forum, I suggest you grow thicker skin if you plan on sticking around. A personal attack on a member is a big no-no, not agreeing with the content of your post or anyone else's for that matter is fair game.
Mark, I didn't think you were saying previous comments were wrong. I got your point that the OP should begin with a rifle to learn the ropes. The TV shows make it look so easy. People don't realize the woodcraft and marksmanship skills necessary to score consistently on game. I had intended to recommend buying/borrowing a .30-30 to use for a few hunts.

Mark204, its the way you started your post by stating “this bunch disappoint me. And then ended it by saying “threads like this bring out the worst in me”. Not cool. Looks to me you are the one that needs another layer of skin. Try not to be so negative when your referring to your fellow members.

Mark204, its the way you started your post by stating “this bunch disappoint me. And then ended it by saying “threads like this bring out the worst in me”. Not cool. Looks to me you are the one that needs another layer of skin. Try not to be so negative when your referring to your fellow members.

Since you're the only one with hurt feelings I apologize..........Feel better now???

"A commonly accepted threshold for the*minimum*amount of kinetic*energy needed to kill an elk is 1500 ft-lbs. For whitetail*deer, the*minimum*amount of kinetic*energy*is 1000 ft-lbs."

COMMENTS:
The above is talking about using high velocity rifle hunting in the West, and at longer ranges. And it REALLY is talking about a MINIMUM number. So, MORE is better. The above doesnt even consider the 'shock' factor where it is MUCH better to be HIGHER also(as in bullet performance).

If deviating from above, such as at lower handgun velocity, personal experience is... I prefer heavy bullets that are capable of going through both shoulders of a deer, that would also allow a high probability of a quick kill, one way or another(as in quick approach to safely dispatch). I just DONT see that 'reliably' happening in rugged country or near an adjoining ranch/property, using under a 300g projectile. Just wanna avoid a long tracking ordeal, for many reasons.

On elk, have shot 2 bulls that went well over 100yards in heavy cover, with a double lung/heart shot, using 375 & 416 with reliable jackets, these arent ultra high velocity calibers, even at max, BTW.
Another younger bull anchored with 375 shoulder shot, it took all of 5 minutes to finish while it took me 10 minutes to get there. Have also seen a buddy's 30'06 round explode inside of an immediately dropped elk shot at 100yards, but have seen a number of elk lost too, with 308 caliber. Have seen more WT deer lost as well, with .243 heart/lung shots in 1980s.

So, to me... only 'highly' experienced handgun hunting on big game - and should be capable to deliver at least as well as a big caliber muzzle loading rifle (& its accuracy), plus with needed broadside shooting/hunting skills. Range such as 100 yards max (or so) depending on shooter, shooting REST, hunter and of course proper gun, bullet-weight & sights. Under 60 yards is much better, JMO.

With scoped 475 in 400g, perfect conditions and I mean PERFECT, In past, I would not have shot beyond 140 yards at deer, 70 yards at elk(and for Bull, I'll stick with rifle). I dont archery hunt anything bigger than deer, and have missed every time. Chagrin.

I say 45acp is out, unless surviving or a very rare setup.

Actually Paul Harrell did a comparison of the 10mm vs 45 acp. And the 45 ACP did very well with FMJ over the counter. Consider the cost of 10mm. Sorry, but I would go with the 45cal and if the state says it is ok to shoot that caliber than go for it.

Hey Ruger family, I'm wondering if out of a 4.5" - 5", with proper shot placement, and projectile selection, can you ethically bring down a deer within 25 yds with a .45 Auto loader?
I think so, use a 185 grain +P and put one, or two; into the shoulder, chest or neck. That should do it.
And if it doesn't, shoot him a couple of more times.

Ya know what kills the most deer every year in Texas?

F-150's.

Only because there are more F-150's than Silverados in Texas.
Your mileage may vary where you are.

The 1911 is an effective firearm that needs no qualification or validation here.

44 Magnum is a pistol caliber and there are a whole lot lot of Ruger 44 Carbines killing deer with the 44 MAG ......so I would say a 45 acp could do it better in a carbine, say the Marlin Camp Carbine 45 would be better than a pistol. my .02 cents

Determine your maximum range by how far you can keep six shots on an 8" paper plate from field positions. My 5" 625 will easily take a 200 pound feral hog at 50-60 yards. Deer are thin skinned game but still require and deserve precise shot placement for an ethical kill. I would recommend, in no particular order: 230gr Speer Gold Dot, Hornady 200gr XTP, Federal 230gr Tactical Bonded, all jacketed hollow points. Proper shot placement with a .22 Hornet will drop a deer DRT improper shot placement with a 300 WinMag and a deer will run a mile.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.