Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, long story short, today is my last day off and I had a free moment to take a few guns to my parent's little mini-range in their backyard.......

Took my new .45 ACP-LC Redhawk, 9mm Lipsey's Blackhawk, P90 and DAO P89. I had a handful of rounds for each I threw in my pocket, 13 rounds of Sellier & Bellot .45 ACP, and 12 rounds of Magtech 115 gr. 9mm. Also, while looking for the sandbag in the barn, found a dusty box of Fiocchi .455 Webley Mk.II and .450 Short Colt, I was like "wow I haven't seen these in years, they'll work in the Redhawk"......

I found some ancient watering device my Mom uses as a lawn decoration and set it up as a shooting table, put a crate in it, and a sandbag on top. 20 yards from the backstop, this is as scientific as I could get today:)

The pics show 20 yard targets from each of the guns, I fired 7 from the P90, 6 from the Redhawk, and 6 each from the P89 and Blackhawk. The P89 shoots very low with 115, half the rounds hit below the target. 2 of the .45's from the Redhawk hit low and off the target. If the rounds hit where the rest of them did, it looks like the P90 outshot the Redhawk with ACP, and the 9mm Blackhawk was today's winner with the tightest group, even if the P89 had put all of them on the paper it wouldn't have been as tight, however the P89 is a DAO. If it weren't for a gnat hitting me in the face the second I was pulling the trigger that "dropped" round would have fell inside that cluster, but I lost my carefully acquired sight picture and precise trigger squeeze:) At least now I know what it can do. It shoots well enough for me with 9mm. The Redhawk seemed to do better offhand the last time I fired it, acuracy with ACP seems to drop off after 7-10 yards. Heck the group I fired at 25 last week seemed tighter, from a standing position. From a carefully aimed rest in SA, the results bordered on abysmal. This gun seems to like Wolf better, S&B doesn't seem to be it's thing. However the odds of having to "shoot to live" with this particular gun, with .45 ACP at 20+ yards are pretty much nil, unless I get attacked at the range, while shooting .45 ACP through it lol It's good enough for a utility/fun gun, hopefully my .45 Vaquero convertible does better with ACP,when I get it.

The P90 has always shot "decent' but was never particularly accurate, more "service" accurate. It eats anything, but is just not a tackdriver, with any ammo. However, it's reliable, has never jammed, so that's important. It was a police gun,so it served it's intended purpose, I'm sure the guy at least was able to qualify with it. I figure it would be a good "control" for the Redhawk. No point in using my Dad's Hardballer that was tuned up by Austin Behlert in the 80's, that's an apples to oranges comparison to a Redhawk that we already aren't expecting tight groups from.

6 rounds of .455 shot pretty well, I'll put those pics below this post. The Fiocchi rounds had some pop to them, seemed hotter than the S&B ACP. Accuracy was better with the .455 than the ACP. The .450 was junk, half of it needed 4 or 5 hits to fire, one round wouldn't even go off, and those that eventually did pop showed horrible accuracy. The rims are thin and all of the .450 showed shallow firing pin dents on the primer, the .455 had nice deep dents and shot well. It's a moot point, it's not like any of us is going to be shooting tons of $50 a box Fiocchi .455 Webley, unless you're already a Webley enthusiast, I doubt you'll care:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
.455 through the Redhawk......the first time I've ever fired .455 Webley through anything, and after the remaining 40 some odd rounds are gone, probably the last:)

It does OK with .455, in case this is a concern for anyone, .455 works in .45 LC revolvers. Extraction was a pain, since the stubby shells hung up under the extractor star, but I was trying to "catch" the brass to save it, not point the gun upward and forcibly eject it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also the .455 chambers in my .45 ACP Vaquero, but the primer sits lower than the ACP, so it may have ignition issues. Fired fine in my Redhawk, I think I'll shoot it up and sell the brass. Same with the .450 Colt.

So........if you ever happen upon cheap .455 somewhere, buy it up and shoot it in your .45 LC guns.

I recall the P90 being super accurate during one particular range outing, maybe it just liked whatever ammo I was using. A lot of my handguns actually seem to shoot pretty well with Wolf for some reason. There's no real reason to use it, since brass reloads are pretty much the same price, but the Wolf 9mm and .45 shoots well in my guns so I just keep buying it as range ammo. My CZ85 loves the Wolf 9mm, and the above Blackhawk does OK with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts