Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most of you know I recently got my .45 LC-ACP Redhawk......

I was just on GunBroker and searching ".45 Redhawk" just, as usual, to see if there are any used 7.5" .45 LC's on there for a decent price, maybe to have cut for moonclips.......

Anyway, I noticed there are far fewer .45 ACP-LC Redhawks for sale, previously there were dozens of them, and the prices for the few that are on there have jumped from maybe $800-850 "Buy Now" to in one case $999........and one has bids on it just below $1,000......the one had a Buy Now of $880, but bidding is at $950 now with several bidders......reminds me of when the .327 GP100 got dropped, no one cared about them until people caught wind they were being removed from the catalog and they started selling for double......

Did Ruger decide to drop these and I didn't hear about it, or is demand just that high?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I think Ruger builds in batches and then the dealers get the batch. They go on the market and when supply is high relative to demand prices are low. Also, takes a while for the market to become aware that a new model is out there and then more demand takes hold but unless more are made it drives the price up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just don't see many of them for sale at all. Im thinking there are just not many of them out there for sale at this point. I think they are great looking guns really whats holding me back is the accuracy issues that have been talk about. I hope its just a supply issue and ruger will keep making them.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

Both AU$1,400 this side of the pond.
And, both have to be special orders (6 - 9 months).

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad I got mine when I did, trading a kind of beat .44 Redhawk and a CZ75 .40 seems like a fairer deal now:) Both were probably $400 guns at best........maybe $500 for the RH but I'm not splitting hairs lol

For some odd reason my .45 RH seems to prefer Wolf .45 ACP, it sprayed S&B like buckshot but did OK with Wolf,I'm still experimenting which is half the fun.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was looking for one last night on gun broker. the only one I found was for sale at a store in Nashville they wanted $1,500 for it. I could not believe that price when i saw it. I have looked at other guns they were selling in the past and they seemed reasonable before. Im wondering if there is a real short supply, they listed it wrong or they know something about the future of production?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think everyone that wanted one, has one by now........and Ruger has already cranked out the "batch" of these and since no one knows when more will be in the pipeline.........dealers are trying to scalp the impulse buyers or those who think they won't ever see one again unless they get it now.

Ironically Charter Arms just released their .45 ACP snub a few months ago.......

·
Registered
805 Posts
IMO there are plenty of sellers out there without any scruples about scalping a buyer during short term scarcity. Not just with guns either. Be patient things will come around. Oh and keep in mind who the scalpers are and avoid them in the future like they have a disease, which they do.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At this point in my life I don't need any gun bad enough to get "scalped" trying to get it........I did most of my overpaying for junk guns when I was in my 20's:)

The .45 LC-ACP Redhawks are going to turn into the 9mm Speed Sixes of the future, the .45 hybrid RH's sold like hotcakes but then I think demand will kind of level off.........then Ruger will most likely drop them, and probably use the round butt 4" Redhawk idea to bring out something else, like a 4" round butt .41, or am 8-shot .357, and then THOSE will sell like hotcakes.........it almost seems like a cycle.

·
Registered
805 Posts
They are still cheaper than a comparable new S&W. I've always felt that the Ruger Redhawks were a bargain for what you got, especially compared to other revolver makes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was looking for one last night on gun broker. the only one I found was for sale at a store in Nashville they wanted $1,500 for it. I could not believe that price when i saw it. I have looked at other guns they were selling in the past and they seemed reasonable before. Im wondering if there is a real short supply, they listed it wrong or they know something about the future of production?
I'll sell mine to anyone that wants it for that price. Once it comes back from Ruger, that is.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I traded a used Redhawk and a CZ for mine and now it's looking like I got the better end of the deal now.......until Ruger makes more of them and prices come down, if they make more of them......

I have a feeling these .45 LC-ACP Redhaws may turn out like the .327 GP100's, Ruger lost interest in making them and those that are out there doubled in price overnight. Unless they were never intended to be a "catalog" item and Ruger just had to use up some Kodiak frames, and figured they'd do something different.

I'll still shoot the heck out of mine but these may be future collectibles for people who kept them NIB.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
No way they're being discontinued. I've seen three of them around here, all at different stores in the past few weeks. One store sold one and about two weeks later had another for sale. All three were priced between $840-850. They're nice revolvers but each one I've held and dry fired had a really gritty trigger.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I emailed Charter Arms, just to ask them about their .45 ACP revolvers, and they said they plan to release a 4.2" and 5" .45 ACP Pitbull "very soon", and they will be in the $450 range.

I think this will drive a lot of the interest in pistol caliber revolvers toward the "low end" guns like Charter Arms. I have one of the 5" .40 PitBulls on the way, it was an impulse buy, I hope it works out.....

A lot of people want 9mm and .45 wheelguns just as "toys" pretty much, and many are hesitant to spend toward the $1,000 range for one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I emailed Charter Arms, just to ask them about their .45 ACP revolvers, and they said they plan to release a 4.2" and 5" .45 ACP Pitbull "very soon", and they will be in the $450 range.

I think this will drive a lot of the interest in pistol caliber revolvers toward the "low end" guns like Charter Arms. I have one of the 5" .40 PitBulls on the way, it was an impulse buy, I hope it works out.....

A lot of people want 9mm and .45 wheelguns just as "toys" pretty much, and many are hesitant to spend toward the $1,000 range for one.
I've been reading every review I can find on the .45 Pitbull. Looks interesting. I just love .45ACP and "just about" anything that can shoot it.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Despite having my .45 LC-ACP Redhawk I still want a .45 ACP Pitbull........the email from Deb Ecker said the 4" is in the works, but the snub looks cool too.........it's the new "XL" frame and I have a "thing" for large frame snubbies:) It would be a good CC gun too.

I have a feeling once I get the 5" .40 Pitbull, I'm going to want the snub too.....

I'm not too hot on the 9mm Pitbull, since they had issues with the 6-shot cylinder and went to a 5-shot.......it's still a neat concept.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Couldn't find one of the ACP/LC models when looking on Gunbroker about 3 weeks ago. Stopped by my local gun shop...lo and behold, they had one NIB for $699 in their case. Couldn't believe it! Purchased it on the spot. A sweet shooter, too. Happy, happy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts