Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mentioned in the Tavern that we are going to Cabelas in KC tomorrow. I want to pick up some lead bullets to shoot in my .45's. Way back when, I loaded 200 Gr LSWC's over 5.1 gr of Bullesye. They shot good in my gun - a Colt Govt Model with lightened recoil spring, trigger job, feed ramp polished, Bomar's, etc. I'm going to be shooting these in a 90, 97, 345 and a Taurus PT1911. I really like the SWC's because they cut such a nice clean hole in the target. I'm just not sure how good they'll feed in my Rugers. I did shoot a couple boxes of my 20 year old reloads in my 345 and they functioned perfectly. What do you think? Should I get the SWC's or go with the RN bullets? I want to buy a bunch because I don't get anywhere to buy them often.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hey Rman I use a .451"lswc 185gr bullet with a 5.3grs of Winchester 231/ Win LP primers. Runs real good and very little to no leading. Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the ruger auto i had would eat anything if yours do to i would get a bunch of swc's

the loads i use the most are 4 grains of be or 4.5 grains of be under my 200 grain swcs

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't get a chance to read the replies before I went to Cabelas Sunday. I picked up 500 Oregon Trail Laser Cast 200 Gr SW's. I found 600 Federal LP primers in my old stash. They are probably 20 years old, but they've been kept indoors all this time. Think I'll use them and the W231 that's been around forever also. These are just practice rounds, so if it doesn't work out it's no big deal.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've used Oregon Trail Laser-Cast 200 gn RNFP lead bullets in my P345 almost exclusively since I've had the gun (~8 mos) and I drive them with about 4.8 gns of Bullseye and haven't had any problems whatsoever with feeding or cycling of the slide. I've been pondering getting the Laser-Cast 200 gn semi-wad cutters for the reasons you cite but haven't done so because of the the addtional cost. If that were not the reason holding me back I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to load them and shoot them in my 345 since I feel that both products (Ruger & Laser-Cast) are top notch.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rman, I've been using the Oregon Trail Laser cast in my vaquera 45 colt - 250 rnfp 12.5 gr bluedot. In my .444 Marlin- 300 gr for plinking and 310 gr wnfp gas check Ore Trail True Shot[ this is a mean one ]. In my 1886 Win. by Browning I have Laser Cast and laser cast true shot but haven't loaded for it as I have a bunch of factory loads I want to get rid of. Check out oregon trail bullet co, its a pretty neat place, I drove down there last summer and stocked up, saved a bundle. Be sure to at there true shot section if you want a hunting load. I don't load for my autos so I don't know how they would feed but with hard cast they should be excellant.

·
Registered
842 Posts
A while back I bought 500 200gr LSWC and 500 225 gr LFN Red Line bullets from Dillon but their prices have sky rocketed. They function and work fine in my P97 and are pretty accurate but to be honest, although they don't cut the pretty nice holes in paper I seem to get the best accuracy and absolute reliability from just about any commercial brand of 230 gr LRN bullets in my gun. I carry factory loads for social purposes but in a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate a minute carrying them for a self defence load.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have shot what is already loaded to make sure everything worked ok, but I got antsy. Loaded up another 50 with 5.2 gr. of W231. Other batch was 5.8 gr. I'm anxious to hit the range Wednesday night.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

Aint nothing like having loaded ammo ready and waiting to go to make a man antsy!![^]
Baker
That's sure the truth. I got a pretty good stash of factory loads for my guns, but don't really want to get into them. Nice to have some around for emergencies and 'sides that, it cost too darn much to shoot 'em.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get to try out my reloads tonight. I usually shoot on Wed but Mrs. Rman said the roads are supposed to be bad tomorrow - better go tonight. I sure hate changing my plans, but she insists! ;) :D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Gotta keep the wife happy. If you go tonight just to please her, & the roads aren't bad tomorrow night, do you get to go again?:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

Get to try out my reloads tonight. I usually shoot on Wed but Mrs. Rman said the roads are supposed to be bad tomorrow - better go tonight. I sure hate changing my plans, but she insists! ;) :D
If you get down there what we just had up here I guarantee your roads will be bad. I got back last night from Minneapolis and drove the last almost 200 miles on an ice skating rink. My knuckles are still white.

I still haven't figured out how it can rain when it's 19° outside. Today we had 4" of snow. Ah, the joys of winter.

A little ditty for y'all.

When it's springtime in North Dakota
and the gentle breezes blow
about 50 miles an hour
and it's 30° below

You can tell you're in North Dakota
cause the snow is up to your butt
and you take a deep breath of fresh? air
and your nose holes both freeze shut

The weather here is wonderful
so I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave North Dakota
cause my a$$ is frozen to the ground.

AU

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a good one Stinger! Sometimes when I think I got it bad here in the winter, I just think about ND, MN, up-state NY and things seem a lot better. Pretty country you got up there, but I would have to skip the winters.
Tom

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

Gotta keep the wife happy. If you go tonight just to please her, & the roads aren't bad tomorrow night, do you get to go again?:)
I asked that and got a dirty look!:D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
So, how is the weather up there? I'ts windy & 26 degrees down here. Could have a trace to 6" of snow by this time tomorrow eve. Quite a spread, I think!:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well the wind is gusting to 35 and it's 0°. I did go out to the range today for some BP practice. The ol' muzzle loader still works fine. 3 shots in a inch and 3/4 @ 100 yds. And I was shivering like a dog crapping peach seeds. But it was fun.

Got some 45lc practice also. Sure glad I got a heated camper on my pickup though. Now that I'm almost 70 I've gotten to be a wuss. I get cold.

With a little luck this storm will miss you.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Hey Stinger, all of us old f--ts get cold pretty easy but 0* with strong winds is a whole lot of cold. Maybe you can find a spot where you can shoot out of the camper window.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stinger and Whitedog: Count me as another old fart that freezes to death!

Kansas45 - We have some pretty serious ice here this morning. On the way to work this morning, the first 7 miles was a solid sheet of glare ice. The next 15 were 2 tracks in each lane with enough icy spots to keep you alert. The temp was 18 with a wind chill of 2 above. Wind seems to be blowing about 20-25 mph. At least we don't have any power lines down. I think the wind was blowing so hard that the stuff never got a chance to stick to the trees and lines. We're supposed to pick up another 3 to 6 inches of snow today. Maybe I'll get to try out that new snow blower I got for Christmas last year.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Stinger you got me laughing loud this morning-never heard the one about a dog crapping peach seeds before-not a pretty sight, I'm sure..I don't mind the cold so much-but add humidity and I'm miserable-won't nothing do but get in, dry, and hot coffee....see you at the coffee shop......Rman-the snow blower sounds like a challenge for the grandsons???? To them, it's fun....but keep the cat in the house.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.