Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a S&W model 22, model of the 1917 revolver in .45 ACP (moonclips). This is my first .45 revolver, also I am new to .45 reloading, though I have done a few thousand .38/357 and .40 hand loads.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for bullet types and weights for such a weapon. I want something for target use, a hint on the lighter side of the load. I'd like to use Missouri Bullets, but wasn't sure if I should go with their 180 LSWC BHN 12, or their 230 LRN BHN 18. (Or suggest something.)

I would guess the BHN of 18 might be a little high for slightly light loads. But I don't know what bullet weight is going to hit point of aim with the revolver. I ordered some Ranier 230Grain plated bullets, as I can use those in my Glock barrel as well.

I guess the best bet would be to hold off on ordering the lead bullets until I try out a couple weights to see what shoots best with this revolver, which has fixed sights. But I am curious about the hardness issue.

I will likely use Unique or W231. I really like Unique with my .38 and .357 loads (other than the dirtiness). I shoot those in my GP100 and my 642. I found W231 to shoot nicer and feel better for my .40 loads out of my Beretta 96. It's a lot cleaner than Unique too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I'd stick with 230 at around 800-850 FPS to match the sights, but be warned that the new rifling doesn't work as well across the board with lead as the older rifling did.
Denis

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say doesn't work as well do you mean more leading? Less accuracy (as a result of said leading or otherwise)? Or what?

Say I want to use reduced loads, still try the 230 gr first? I guess I was more concerned about the hardness of the Missouri bullets.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I have a S&W model 1955 target revolver and I shoot mostly 45 auto rim. I don't like messing around with the moon clips. My favorite bullet is a 235 gr Keith swc bullet that I cast over 4.5 grs. of Bullseye. Very accurate in my gun. I cast the bullets from Linotype.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered some of the RIMZ moonclips. We'll see how easy they are. I could always get some auto rim brass. Looks like Starline has it, and revolver brass never gets lost until the case splits ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I loke to 200 gr hard cast LSWC and a light charge of bullseye. (The Wilson Combat recipe).

Use it for my M1911 and revolver.

A bonus is the LSWC makes nice holes in paper and nasty holes in people.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I don't have a model 22 but I have two Smith 625's. They shoot extremely well (well under 1" at 25 yards off a rest) with the new rifling. My bullets are home cast of WW's+2% tin (hardness about 12 BHN).

Your handgun is normally sighted for 230 gr bullets at 25 yards. However, the fly in the ointment is that people don't always "register" the same with fixed sights. The only way you will know for sure is to try it.

The "standard" load is a 230 gr bullet ahead of 5.0 grs of Bullseye.

Order out a few bullets of 200 gr, 230 gr, and even 250 gr and see where they shoot in YOUR hands with YOUR eyes.

My favorite bullet, bar none, in my 625's are a Mihec mould for the #68 H&G 200 gr SWC. However, my 625's have adjustable sights so point of aim coincides with point of impact.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Dale53

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have had real good luck lately with a 250 grain SWC and 6.5 grains of Unique. I haven't tested this at long range, but at 7-10 yards they go into one hole.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow. You guys like big bangs!

I just settled on a 230Gr Rainier plated bullet over 5.2-5.3 grains of Unique for my Glock 30. The Smith still hasn't been delivered. (Supposed to be at LGS tomorrow).

I think the Lee manual says 5.8 grains never exceed. 5.1 grains was start (lead data), but the auto disc was doing 4.9-5.0 or 5.2-5.3... The lower one would stovepipe every 5 rounds or so on the Glock.

I tend to stay on the lighter side most of the time. How tough do you think this Model 22 model of the 1917 will be? With my GP100 I am not afraid of stout loads, but no so sure with this one.

·
Registered
549 Posts
For a nice low recoil target load, I use 230 grain round nose bullets over 4 grains of Hodgkins "Clays". That will give you about 700-750 feet per second. Clays is a shotgun powder tha burns clean........Robin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts