Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I know I've seen this topic somewhere earlier in the Forum. I tried doing a Search but it didn't happen. So forgive me for any redundancy.

I've been target shooting with my SR1911 using Federal 230 gr. FMJ and enjoying 100% success with no FTF's or FTE's. Now I want to "range test" a different load for self defense / home protection purposes and I'm thinking it should be a 185 gr. JHP, I believe that's the load I seen discussed on the Forum for S/D in a .45 Auto cartridge. As I don't reload, (yet), I'm looking at trying Speer Gold Dot, 185 gr. JHP's for my "range test". I seem to remember that brand being mentioned as being very reliable with auto-loaders.

Now, I would appreciate your feedback on two things concerning the above...
1) Is .185 gr. JHP's a preferable S/D load?
2) Has anybody had any cycling problems with Speer Gold Dot ammo in any 1911's?

Thanks for your time! :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
1) Is .185 gr. JHP's a preferable S/D load?

Preferable to many, yes. I personally prefer 230 gr. JHP bullets, the reason being I can practice w/ less expensive ammunition & know that the pistol will feel basically the same if/when I fire my SD loads. It's just a matter of which loads are most comfortable for you.

2) Has anybody had any cycling problems with Speer Gold Dot ammo in any 1911's?

The very first boxes of ammunition I ever bought were Speer Gold Dot 185 gr. JHP for my 1911A1 Compact. Never experienced any issues whatsoever. In fact, I recently emptied a box of 'em through my 1911R1. They were at least 15 years old, & still cycled & fired perfectly. Speer is quality, period.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,461 Posts
I carry Winchester PDX1 230 grain .45 ACP in my 1911s as a personal preference. Speer Gold Dot ammo is very good and no problems cycling in my pistols.

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
When I had a 1911 my preferred load was a Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP. The only ammo issue I had was with truncated cone ammo. That would cause hang ups in feeding.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for taking the time to respond to my questions.

I feel better now about what I was thinking of doing in the way of SD loads. Based on your inputs I'm going to change the 185 gr. JHP to a 230 gr. and try that first.

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whatever you decide on, but sure to run plenty through the gun to make sure you'll get no feeding issues.
Your absolutely right! ;)

You have to have confidence in the reliability of your ammo...at all times.

That's why I want to do a good "range testing" first before I decide what my SD loads will be.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts