Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, recently I got an old Colt SAA peacemaker remake because I love old westerns and just anything in general with a lot of history behind it. I also am about to journey into the world of loading/reloading ammo. I got tons of great advice and decided on 38/357 mag and 45 Colt. Today my choice was verified when I almost had a heart attack finding out what 45 Colt factory ammo generally costs. I dont want anything fancy, I just wanna be able to have fun at the range shooting 45 Colt without breaking the bank to do it...just some soft-lead, low pressure cowboy rounds are more than fine with me and I can always keep the factory JHP or SJHP stuff for if i ever take it as my woods gun. So just looking for advice on where and how to get 45 Colt ammo that wont cost me an arm and a leg (I could get almost 175 rounds of 9mm for the same price as 50 rounds of 45 Colt at local shops). 45 Colt is obviously first and foremost a hobby-round to most people (if that makes sense). So how can I enjoy my peacemaker with peace of mind? Will reloading save me a lot? Are there places online maybe where I can buy 45 Colt that is specifically made just to be cheap range ammo? And is there a reason the cost is so high for factory loads?

·
Registered
253 Posts
45 colt ammo is around 30 bucks for 50 rounds at my LGS. I bought 3 boxes and been reloading them. It may have gone up in price due to the ''virus''

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Might want to start thinking about a Lee Classic Loader Kit in 45 Colt , that was my first and we put together a lot of inexpensive range ammo ...even though I have 5 bench presses now , I still use it now and again .
Lee still sells them and can be had for about $30.00 online or at local Cabela's .
Follow the instructions included in the kit and knock those high prices down.
Save your fired brass and think about it !
Gary

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would suggest you buy a few boxes of factory ammo to start out and find out what you like, then you can start reloading - it'll save you a lot in the long run. The nice thing about revolver brass is you don't lose any (like with semi-auto brass) and unless you use really heavy loads you can use it over and over again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
45 colt is the reason I finally took the leap into reloading. I know of no inexpensive 45 colt factory ammunition. Some of the $30/box of 50 cowboy loads might be "cheap" but in my book they are not inexpensive.

It's been said before but I'll repeat it: reloading won't save you money because you wind up shooting more. The good part is the more you shoot the faster you "payoff" the reloading equipment.

Enjoy the Colt SAA.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I have checked in a while, but Georgia Arms used to have fairly decent prices on 45 Colt.

Edit: Just checked Georgia Arms. They have 200 gr 45 Colt for $26.50 for 50 rounds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks
Might want to start thinking about a Lee Classic Loader Kit in 45 Colt , that was my first and we put together a lot of inexpensive range ammo ...even though I have 5 bench presses now , I still use it now and again .
Lee still sells them and can be had for about $30.00 online or at local Cabela's .
Follow the instructions included in the kit and knock those high prices down.
Save your fired brass and think about it !
Gary
The great thing is, I literally had just wrapped up a thread about getting a Lee single stage press and reloading and got a lot of helpful info on getting started and I came to the conclusion that I would focus on reloading 38spl/357 mag and 45 colt. I was already planning to journey into the world of loading/reloading, but now I'm going to sprint into it lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info everyone. So it is around 27 to 33 bucks is the for the absolute cheapest factory ammo then huh.. It just seems crazy to me because 45 ACP is the same thing just more compact and loaded at a much higher pressure as far as I understand it...and it was created so soldiers could use the 45 colt round realistically as a sidearm during WW1 or WW2 I'm pretty sure. So the even bigger question is why on earth does it need to be sold at such a high price? 30-06, .308, and 30/30 are sold at very comparable prices and I feel that is a completely fair comparison unless I'm missing something. 1 more range session for me then that SAA is sitting until I get my reloading equipment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I suppose a comparison would be something like 44 magnum prices.

I've assumed it's relatively low demand caliber. Many who shoot it load their own. It's only due to CASS and SASS that you can find it for around $30.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It is a simple demand vs supply equation. How many boxes of .45 Colt do you expect that your local gun shop sells each day? Probably less that the number of cases of 9mm! Add to that the fact that pretty much every component of .45 Colt requires twice as much raw material to produce compared to 9mm.
.45 Colt was one of the most used cartridges (and probably priced 'appropriately') 140 years ago. It isn't going away but don't expect a huge resurgence that brings ammo cost down to anything like the cost of 9mm.
Personally, I would rather shoot a single round of .45 Colt than a handful of 9mm, but I reload, have spent plenty to buy components and haven't bought a box of factory loaded .45 Colt in many decades. Several of my .45 Colts have never seen a round of factory ammo.

My advice from your other question remains. Pick a single cartridge (this would be a good one and probably save you more $$$ than .357), start small and slow, learn to reload and see if you shoot the big bore as much as you thought you would.

Bruce

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is a simple demand vs supply equation. How many boxes of .45 Colt do you expect that your local gun shop sells each day? Probably less that the number of cases of 9mm! Add to that the fact that pretty much every component of .45 Colt requires twice as much raw material to produce compared to 9mm.
.45 Colt was one of the most used cartridges (and probably priced 'appropriately') 140 years ago. It isn't going away but don't expect a huge resurgence that brings ammo cost down to anything like the cost of 9mm.
Personally, I would rather shoot a single round of .45 Colt than a handful of 9mm, but I reload, have spent plenty to buy components and haven't bought a box of factory loaded .45 Colt in many decades. Several of my .45 Colts have never seen a round of factory ammo.

My advice from your other question remains. Pick a single cartridge (this would be a good one and probably save you more $$$ than .357), start small and slow, learn to reload and see if you shoot the big bore as much as you thought you would.

Bruce
Appreciate the reply and I thought about all of that. 45 dating all the way back to the old west prior to the turn of the 20th century. And it completely crossed my mind that it is a more rare cartridge, but the 2 local shops I go to (both in town under a population of 2000) carry it. And you would think if that was the case, why hasnt someone cornered the market by specializing in producing 45 colt soft lead target rounds for an affordable price? Maybe that's my meal ticket....but somehow I highly doubt I was the first person the think of that. Nah, its gotta be something else. If it is supply and demand I will literally go convince investors to corner and eventually crush the market with me because if you can load 45 ACP for the same price in materials for a third of the price, hell I'll load up some 50 boxes and sell them for 25 bucks a box...come one come all...and they would, word in that part of the community would spread like wildfire. You might be right, but what I just said was how I countered that argument in my head.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
32 sw long ammo is the same way. Them little rounds are expensive. But dirt cheap to reload.
I guess it is the rarity then. Because it can't be the size of the round because 44mag, 45ACP, and most rifle rounds even are bigger. It blows my mind that someone has not started a company that loads less common ammo for an affordable price and simply corners the market on 45 Colt, 32 sw long, and other less common ammo. I know cowboy action shooting is actually gaining popularity in the community. When I start to load/reload, I would do it myself but I'm sure there is a lot of lawyer jargon and red tape to get past to legally be able to sell ammo. Well, at least I will be able to load and reload my own here soon (thank God). I chose 45 Colt and 38spl/357 mag as the rounds I want to get dies for.

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
Long story short. If your going to shoot 45 Colt you need to handload. Shot over 100,000 round of 45 Colt since the 80's all handloads. Wish you the best of luck and once you start to handload you will love it. Welcome to our obsession.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts