Ruger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
My two Rugers, Blackhawk and New Vaquero, only get fed 255 grain cast handloads with Unique.
Factory boxes are not in the picture.

High factory prices are due to limited demand.
Low demand = limited production from commercial loaders = high production cost = high retail prices.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess it is the rarity then. Because it can't be the size of the round because 44mag, 45ACP, and most rifle rounds even are bigger. It blows my mind that someone has not started a company that loads less common ammo for an affordable price and simply corners the market on 45 Colt, 32 sw long, and other less common ammo. I know cowboy action shooting is actually gaining popularity in the community. When I start to load/reload, I would do it myself but I'm sure there is a lot of lawyer jargon and red tape to get past to legally be able to sell ammo. Well, at least I will be able to load and reload my own here soon (thank God). I chose 45 Colt and 38spl/357 mag as the rounds I want to get dies for.
It sounds like you've found your perfect new career, just go for it. :)

·
Registered
914 Posts
I am fairly new to the gun ownership / shooting world, joined in June ,2017. After reading several threads of ammo shortages it appears it starts with the most popular calibers first 9mm, 22lr and works it ' s way to other calibers. How do they sell it so cheap? Volume.When demand exceeds inventory you may develop shortages (none available) or change in price( what the market will bare). Not enough 45 Colt is manufactured during good times that can bring the cost much lower for the manufacturer to sell it.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Just as a 'number' for comparison.... 500 250g RNFP is around $60. That's $12 per hundred. Primers are worst case $4 for 100. Powder if using Unique adds another $3.50 or so. The case can be reloaded, so say you only reload them 10 times, that would add another $3 per hundred. So we are at $22.50 per hundred... or for a box of 50 $11.25 . Is is worth it to reload? Your call.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have more guns in 45 Colt then anything else so reloading is a must so you don't go broke shooting them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Long story short. If your going to shoot 45 Colt you need to handload. Shot over 100,000 round of 45 Colt since the 80's all handloads. Wish you the best of luck and once you start to handload you will love it. Welcome to our obsession.
Haha yep, it definitely has recently grown into an obsession for me too as opposed to just hunting and the occasional trip to the range. These days I try to hit the range 3 to 5 times month as opposed to a year. Anywho, been planning to load/reload for awhile and a buncha great folks pointed me in the right direction to get started. I landed on 45 Colt and 38/357 mag out of those options and 9mm, 223/556, 30/30, 22LR, and 7mm mag. I hold onto my 45 Colt brass like they're balls. I'm soon getting a Lee single stage press, as reccomended by many for my purposes. And since this has become a main hobby of mine, I would say I gravitated towards revolvers and cowboy action shooting as far as what I find most fun. A lot of my friends my age (33) are more into the new tactical stuff and 3-gun comps. I have a really nice AR15 I built with a red dot, and even still I prefer shooting my Colt SAA clone and my GP100 that I've customized myself. Maybe I'm weird, I don't know haha

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I am fairly new to the gun ownership / shooting world, joined in June ,2017. After reading several threads of ammo shortages it appears it starts with the most popular calibers first 9mm, 22lr and works it ' s way to other calibers. How do they sell it so cheap? Volume.When demand exceeds inventory you may develop shortages (none available) or change in price( what the market will bare). Not enough 45 Colt is manufactured during good times that can bring the cost much lower for the manufacturer to sell it.
The other side of this shortage for other calibers is that there are only so many production lines, not a special line for each caliber. As such, during times of panic, manufacturers prioritize the high volume calibers and production of the less popular calibers fall off the production schedule. And manufacturers are not going to invest in the equipment and people knowing they are only going to have to idle equipment and lay off people in a few months. As always stay stocked to be immune and buy whenever you find a sale. And it doesn’t matter how much you have, one will always feel understocked. And as stated, reload, but you won’t save money. It’s just an extension of the addiction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
hold onto my 45 Colt brass...
Starline brass is usually always in stock. Order up by the 500, 1000, etc. Not a worry. I am to the point when the rims starts getting rough to put in shell holder or a case mouth split (usually happens after at least 10-15 reloads), I toss that box of 100 out and start on a new box. Works for me.

Starline Brass

·
Registered
105 Posts
+1 on the reloading if you want to save money. 45 Colt ammo prices is what made me take the leap into reloading, I've found I shoot my Blackhawk in 45 Colt much more now that I reload for it. It's also gotten me into reloading for more calibers and helped spur me to purchase an old Chilean Mauser since 7x57 ammo isn't the cheapest, but with reloading it makes it much more worth it, so be careful that can end up costing you money that way in the long run, although I'm not complaining.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts