Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Try a heavier in the vaquero. I have an uberti that shoots right with a 200gn bullet. I went to 250gn bullets and now it shoots right on.
i have found that in other calibers that heavier bullets hit higher at reasonable handgun distances due to "hang time", also faster ones due to a flatter trajectory. but i have yet to see it affect windage to any degree, just elevation. but i'm casting some 255 grainers. will see.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had my SBH in 44 magnum throats opened up and forcing cone to 11 degrees. It is such a joy to shoot with lead bullets now. I didn’t see any difference in accuracy with plated or jacketed bullets.
I’m going to get my Bisley in 45 Colt done the same as it will lead with lead bullets as the throats are tight.
I would need a ball peen hammer to get a .452 lead bullet through the throats as it is now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great Information and Details

I am considering reaming the throats on my BHBisley too. Once I do I'll post about my experience. One question I have for those of you that have done the job, how do I ensure perfect alignment with the cylinder held in a vise and the reamer held in the drill press? My thinking is to self align the reamer by leaving the cylinder just snug and maybe use a wooden dowel to true the fit. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,160 Posts
Cycleman, Throat reamers are intended to be "hand operated", not in a drill press. I use a 1/2" drill chuck (removed from an old drill) to hold the reamer and a rag to hold the cylinder. After you ream a couple holes using cutting oil, you need to dry off the cylinder so it doesn't slip in your hands. When you use a cutoff case as noted previously, the reamer can't help but align with the throat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
To remove the clip from the reamer, just find a old screwdriver and file it down a little, like this ... works great ... I store it with the reamer for future use.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you, Iowegan, for correcting me on my approach. Also, you have mentioned opening the chamber forcing cone to 11 degrees, is there a way to do this without removing the barrel?

Msauter, thanks for the tool tip!

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
16,160 Posts
Cycleman, Chamfering the forcing cone is also a manual process (no power tools). A rod with a bore guide is inserted in the muzzle then screwed into the reamer with the cylinder removed. You pull slightly while turning a "T" handle to ream. When you get 10 posts or more, take a look at a document I put in the Forum E-Library titled "Forcing Cone and Cylinder Throat Chamfering". Here's a link: https://rugerforum.net/e-library/18570-forcing-cone-cylinder-throat-chamfering.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
interested in forcing cone too
Sergeant69, yes I'm trying to figure out the best alternatives available t,o make my pistols shoot better without leading issues. Based on costs of the tooling I may have to fix one thing at the time. The throats will be first. The .4525 reamer is currently out of stock at Brownells.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cycleman, Chamfering the forcing cone is also a manual process (no power tools). A rod with a bore guide is inserted in the muzzle then screwed into the reamer with the cylinder removed. You pull slightly while turning a "T" handle to ream. When you get 10 posts or more, take a look at a document I put in the Forum E-Library titled "Forcing Cone and Cylinder Throat Chamfering".
Thank you Iowegan, for sharing your expertise. I was wondering if the job could be done the way you described. It makes sense given the fact the rod serves as the pilot and the handle. I just need some steel loving Piranha teeth attached at the business end. I'll definitely look at your document once I reach the threshold. I believe that I might be able to make a handle that would work to fit the reamer. I know it would need to be made to ride the lands with minimal clearance.

Do you happen to know sources for the throat reamers other than Brownells? I looked at Manson's site and they were not listed for the 45 Colt revolver. I checked with Pacific Tool and Die and they can build one, but you'll have to wait several weeks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think you can rent both from 4D reamers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you Iowegan, for sharing your expertise. I was wondering if the job could be done the way you described. It makes sense given the fact the rod serves as the pilot and the handle. I just need some steel loving Piranha teeth attached at the business end. I'll definitely look at your document once I reach the threshold. I believe that I might be able to make a handle that would work to fit the reamer. I know it would need to be made to ride the lands with minimal clearance.

Do you happen to know sources for the throat reamers other than Brownells? I looked at Manson's site and they were not listed for the 45 Colt revolver. I checked with Pacific Tool and Die and they can build one, but you'll have to wait several weeks.
i am so tired of brownells having 90% of what i want being on BO i now go to the source or a distributor. not to mention their rude staff. they act like they cant wait to get you off the phone fast enough. nothing at all like when i used em in the 70s and 80s.
in any case, mansons does have the reamers, i believe on page 19 of their online catalog. their tools are great but their site is a chore to navigate. call or email em. eventually you will get an answer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you, Sergeant, I do notice many products out of stock at Brownells. I do know they have a very rich history in supporting gunsmiths and shooters alike, but I guess since the world has changed they can't do business the way they once did.

This is totally unrelated to this topic, but your comment about Brownells triggered my nostalgic side. Growing up in a small town we had a Western Auto hardware store and another one that was privately owned and bared the owners name. The building was divided into two separate businesses. The other business was a dry goods store. Each had their own store front, but there was an open doorway inside between the two. The shared concrete step was noticeably concave from the thousands of shoes marking their way between the two. The store was open for 99 years.

I enjoyed visiting both of these hardware stores, but the latter was my favorite. I bought my first gun from them along with fishing tackle and other items. Customer service was the real deal back then. They would go out of their way to satisfy their customers.

·
16,160 Posts
sergeant69, I know exactly what you mean. I have been dealing with Brownell's for decades. When it was located in Montezuma, IA, it was a friendly place .... very helpful on the phone or in person. Now that it has been moved to Grinnell, IA (north of Des Moines), the company has taken on a different personality. I ordered a part for a Ruger and it took 4 days just to put a small part in an envelope .... plus they would not send it via 1st class mail for under a buck .... it had to go surface FedEx for $4.95, making a 2 dollar part cost 7 bucks. Midway USA isn't any better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
and midway has ghost sales! "order $49 worth and get free shipping". i tried it twice. added shipping anyway. i predict with both midway and brownells becoming so customer unfriendly someone is going to come along take up their slack.

·
Registered
323 Posts
10 4 on the brownell's attitude. I only order from them if no one else has what I want. Haven't had any trouble with midway though.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I apologize for asking this question, but I have a lot of time invested in trying to find out how to begin a new thread on this site. I know it has to obvious, but with pun intended, it's oblivious to me. Someone please direct me to the procedure.

Thanks,
Cycleman

·
16,160 Posts
Cycleman, First, figure out which forum best matches your topic. For example, click on Maintenance in the main menu. You will see a NEW THREAD button near the top left, click on it. Another screen will come up. Click on the Title block then type in a title. Click on the Message block and type in your question or comment. When you finish, scroll down and click on the Submit New Thread button at the bottom. You're done!

41 - 60 of 100 Posts