Ruger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
i am so tired of brownells having 90% of what i want being on BO i now go to the source or a distributor. not to mention their rude staff. they act like they cant wait to get you off the phone fast enough. nothing at all like when i used em in the 70s and 80s.
in any case, mansons does have the reamers, i believe on page 19 of their online catalog. their tools are great but their site is a chore to navigate. call or email em. eventually you will get an answer.
just got off phone with manson reamers. ordered the 11 deg forcing cone,T handle etc. couldn't of been nicer to deal with!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you, Iowegan, I will remember that. I have a question for you regarding forcing comb angles. Would you recommend 11 degree for a 38 special? Also, would the 11 degree angle be suitable for both cast and jacketed bullets?

·
Registered
83 Posts
just got off phone with manson reamers. ordered the 11 deg forcing cone,T handle etc. couldn't of been nicer to deal with!
That's good to know and I'm glad you had a good experience. I just looked at their catalog and noticed they also sell a chamfering tool to smooth the transition. Do you think sand cloth or another abrasive be used to clean it up rather than buy another tool?

I have a reamer on order so I'm in the game.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,174 Posts
Cycleman, Let me start off by saying .... "nothing comes without trade-offs" and for forcing cones, its pressure loss. Some factory 38 Special revolvers come with 5 degree forcing cones while other brands come with 8 deg forcing cones. Here's the deal .... as the angle of the forcing cone increases, the mouth gets larger so you will have more pressure vented from the B/C gap. From a 5 deg to an 11 deg, maybe as much as 50 fps. From 5 to 8 or 8 to 11, more like 25 fps velocity loss. This is not a big deal if you reload .... just add another tenth(s) grain of powder.

The primary purpose of an 11 deg forcing cone is for shooting lead semi-wad cutters or full wad cutters. Why? Round nose bullets contact the forcing cone and literally force the cylinder throat to align with the bore. WCs or SWCs don't have a nose that contacts the forcing cone .... only a full diameter body. As such, an 11 deg cone helps funnel lead bullets into the bore without damaging them. This results in better accuracy and less lead fouling in the bore.

If you shoot mostly jacketed bullets, an 11 deg forcing cone will still work but it won't be any more accurate nor will it foul less than a factory cone, however it will lose some velocity.

So .... if you shoot mostly lead bullets, it's definitely worth chamfering your forcing cone to 11 degrees. Plated and coated bullets behave like lead bullets so they will also benefit from an 11 deg forcing cone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's good to know and I'm glad you had a good experience. I just looked at their catalog and noticed they also sell a chamfering tool to smooth the transition. Do you think sand cloth or another abrasive be used to clean it up rather than buy another tool?

I have a reamer on order so I'm in the game.
i saw that too but have no answer for you. someone else may.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thank you, Iowegan, for the explanation. I think it will a benefit for me since I shoot much more cast bullets than jacketed. I'll be my Taurus Model 80 probably has a 5 degree angle. It might be an 8 degree one of these days. The old girl was my very first revolver. Now I have to bone up making my pilot case and prepare for the surgery.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Iowegan,

I received a message that will be the recipient of an award if I post something soon. Since you have prompted most of my post I am crediting you with making my award possible.
Thanks,

I also sent Pacific Tool & Gage an email to clarify the forcing cone reamer dimensions. I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I first saw the Manson forcing cone cutters written up by Hamilton Bowen when he was doing the Gunsmithing column in American Handgunner. Bought a set for .357 that had issues. They cut so smoothly I bought the rest of the set and sold my others. Nothing beats the lathe for concentricity, but when not removing the barrel, these are the cat's pajamas

·
Registered
83 Posts
FlyingFinn once I read your post, and the conversation generated by your determination to open the cylinder throats on your .45, I knew that I wanted to get this done too. Thanks to our gunsmith friend, Iowegan, sharing his knowledge on the subject made it possible for me to complete mine today. I used his spent case technique instead of using a pilot on the end of my reamer. It took me more time and effort to get the case right than it did to do the actual reaming procedure. The case idea is simple, but a very ingenious solution and alternative to a more expensive option. Thank you Iowegan!
I purchased a Morse reamer, which is an American made product in 0.4525". The reamer easily cut through the stainless steel cylinder. About the last inch of the reamer did seem to bite a bit harder than the preceding three - four inches. I don't know if this was due to chip accumulation, a slightly different diameter of the reamer, or simply the slight clearance within my pilot. I did produce some light tool marks at the end of the throats. I haven't buffed them yet, but I believe they can be polished out. I definitely do not want to remove anymore steel.
I am very pleased with the job and I look forward to phase II, which will be the 11degree forcing cone modification. I have two additional revolvers that are lead slingers that I will also modify to optimize for cast bullets. One is my NMBH in .41 Remington Mag and the other is my old Taurus Model 80 that I have mentioned previously.

·
Registered
74 Posts
lowegan........having reamed my vaquero and bisley cyl throats in 45 colt using your method i am now awaiting 11 deg forcing cone reamer for both pistols.
i also play with a 45-70 BFR revolver. would the same reamers work on this gun? i haven't checked the cyl throat yet for the " push the bullet thru first" test but will tomorrow. regardless, would the same 11 deg forcing cone reamer benefit the BFR? i shoot 350 cast exclusively in it. thanks

·
16,174 Posts
sergeant69, The 11 deg forcing cone reamer should work just fine but not the cylinder throat reamer. Why not? Throats for a 45-70 should be .4595" to accommodate a .459" lead bullet or a .458" jacketed bullet. Magnum Research BFRs are pretty top shelf revolvers so they probably have the right throat diameters and forcing cone angle from the factory.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ALSO... after i ream the forcing cone using the 11 deg one from mansons on my old model vaquero and new bisley, do i still need to use an abrasive paste or ? to smooth out the chatter marks in the cone? thanks

·
16,174 Posts
sergeant69, If you used oil when reaming and finish up with very light "pull pressure" there shouldn't be any chatter marks. After a few rounds have been fired, most of the cutting marks will go away.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I reamed the throats on my Ruger NMBH .41 mag this afternoon. I used a 0.4115 reamer made by Morse Tools. I made the pilot for it according to Iowegan's fired case method and it worked great again. Attached is a picture of my setup. The .410 bullet will now easily slide through the throat. I'm now waiting on the forcing cone tooling from Dave Manson to finish the job. It should be arriving soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
me too! they told me 2 weeks ago they have all the parts needed for my 45 colts except the T handles. hope to see it all soon as we are forecast for 10 straight days of rain. probably means a day and a half.

·
Registered
432 Posts
me too! they told me 2 weeks ago they have all the parts needed for my 45 colts except the T handles. hope to see it all soon as we are forecast for 10 straight days of rain. probably means a day and a half.

Where do you live that 'they' would forecast days of rain just before a three day weekend? Around here (even during a viral pandemic apparently) tourism is king! We could be in the eye of a hurricane and they would be predicting 'possible passing showers' to avoid scaring away tourist dollars.

Bruce

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where do you live that 'they' would forecast days of rain just before a three day weekend? Around here (even during a viral pandemic apparently) tourism is king! We could be in the eye of a hurricane and they would be predicting 'possible passing showers' to avoid scaring away tourist dollars.

Bruce
thats funny. i live in the boonies in texas and tourists are looked at as invaders. they overpredict rain to make the farmers and ranchers happy. fer real, the other day it was 94 and not a cloud to be bought, and i looked at the weather on my phone and the idiots had put on that there was a 100% chance of rain that day.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts