Ruger Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like a great place to live and enjoy the outdoors. It's gun country for sure!
yea it is. if we want to social distance we have to go town, 1150 pop, and find someone to social distance with. but....austin is only an hour away and thats hell on earth. my gun range is 3 minutes away on my kawasaki mule.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is so nice! It's too bad about many cities these days. Let me know when you receive your Manson tools. I know we'll get them, but I'm in the child Santa mood - I want my present so I can play.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sergeant69, The 11 deg forcing cone reamer should work just fine but not the cylinder throat reamer. Why not? Throats for a 45-70 should be .4595" to accommodate a .459" lead bullet or a .458" jacketed bullet. Magnum Research BFRs are pretty top shelf revolvers so they probably have the right throat diameters and forcing cone angle from the factory.
if you say so. last year i sent the 45-70 back for a re bbl. wanted a shorter one. came back with their standard 5 cent plastic real low front sight. at 100 yds 330 gr were going completely over the backstop. so a local smith made me a custom too tall steel front blade site to be filed down to fit my loads. gun shoots like a shotgun. got pissed and scoped it and now off a bench it groups at 3" at 121yds (diff range, we moved). with iron sites 3 shooters couldn't hit anything. not even 18" gongs at said distance. we were shooting it the other day and my son said holy s#@$ no wonder. looking down onto top of bbl (holding it below you) you can see the front sight screw hole drilled off center and at an angle! other than that yes, its a good quality gun. love it. and no, i'm not gonna have it retapped as my eyes appreciate the scope so much! guess someone was having a bad day at black rock when they "holed" it for the sight. when i sent it back for a re bbl i asked why the crappy dime store front sight. he said "cause everybody just scopes em anyway".

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cycleman.....u ever get ur tools in yet? i haven't and i'm getting anxious!!
Good day, sergeant69. I checked my USPS account and I have a package from Grand Blanc, Michigan scheduled for delivery June 1st. I'm hopeful it's from the Manson folks. I hope yours will arrive soon too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
if you say so. last year i sent the 45-70 back for a re bbl. wanted a shorter one. came back with their standard 5 cent plastic real low front sight. at 100 yds 330 gr were going completely over the backstop. so a local smith made me a custom too tall steel front blade site to be filed down to fit my loads. gun shoots like a shotgun. got pissed and scoped it and now off a bench it groups at 3" at 121yds (diff range, we moved). with iron sites 3 shooters couldn't hit anything. not even 18" gongs at said distance. we were shooting it the other day and my son said holy s#@$ no wonder. looking down onto top of bbl (holding it below you) you can see the front sight screw hole drilled off center and at an angle! other than that yes, its a good quality gun. love it. and no, i'm not gonna have it retapped as my eyes appreciate the scope so much! guess someone was having a bad day at black rock when they "holed" it for the sight. when i sent it back for a re bbl i asked why the crappy dime store front sight. he said "cause everybody just scopes em anyway".
Sergeant69, that gun is a cannon! It's a very telling story about design and QC though. My view is that the revolver should have come equipped with a decent site that had been regulated and ready to go. If they expect folks not to use them, don't bother putting something substandard on it to begin with. I do understand your position. You are happy with your scope and obviously getting great results and that's what's important. Three inch groups at that range is a clean kill on any animal you hunt.

·
Registered
74 Posts
yea, i'm now looking fwd to shooting a whitetail this season with the BFR. but, i also wanna try out the bislet in 45 colt on a deer too. or a hog. decisions decisons

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,160 Posts
sergent69, See the three dots on the upper right of your post? Click on them and you will get a pull down menu that includes "edit post".

·
Registered
82 Posts
sergeant69, my package was delivered today. The tools look very nice. I also received a notice from Ruger that my 45 will be evaluated very soon. Here is a copy of the email they sent me.

Dear Valued Ruger Customer,

We have received your Ruger firearm and are reviewing your concerns. We will work hard to address

your concerns and get back to you quickly. Our typical response time is less than one week, but we will

update you along the way so that you can track the process.

If you have any questions about your firearm, please contact Customer Service at 336-949-5200. Please

do not respond to this email, as it is sent from an unmonitored mailbox.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sergeant69, my package was delivered today. The tools look very nice. I also received a notice from Ruger that my 45 will be evaluated very soon. Here is a copy of the email they sent me.

Dear Valued Ruger Customer,

We have received your Ruger firearm and are reviewing your concerns. We will work hard to address

your concerns and get back to you quickly. Our typical response time is less than one week, but we will

update you along the way so that you can track the process.

If you have any questions about your firearm, please contact Customer Service at 336-949-5200. Please

do not respond to this email, as it is sent from an unmonitored mailbox.

just got mine in too. will play ruger dr. as soon as the grandkids leave. probably thurs.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cylinder is locking after firing. The cylinder may be too short causing several issues. Zero cylinder gap when the back of the cylinder is wedged forward.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sergeant69, de facto editing - didn't know we could do that.

Iowegan, thanks for the information.
ok, did the forcing cone on my 94 vaquero. me and a buddy went to range today. at 35 ft using my reloads i consistantly shoot 3" left (3" groups) of bullseye. elevation is right on. thought it would be better, blamed my poor skills or gun itself. buddy then shot it, same everything (on a bench off a rest) and consistantly hits 3" low aiming dead center too, windage perfect. so i hit at 9 oclock 3" out from dead center and he hits at 6 oclock 3" low from dead center. i'm right handed he's left handed. we intentionally underloaded the cylinder randomly after that to see if we were flinching. were not. wierd.

·
Registered
82 Posts
ok, did the forcing cone on my 94 vaquero. me and a buddy went to range today. at 35 ft using my reloads i consistantly shoot 3" left (3" groups) of bullseye. elevation is right on. thought it would be better, blamed my poor skills or gun itself. buddy then shot it, same everything (on a bench off a rest) and consistantly hits 3" low aiming dead center too, windage perfect. so i hit at 9 oclock 3" out from dead center and he hits at 6 oclock 3" low from dead center. i'm right handed he's left handed. we intentionally underloaded the cylinder randomly after that to see if we were flinching. were not. wierd.
sergeant69, don't feel bad or get frustrated with your gun. That's part of the fun - figuring out which loads shoot the best and striving for consistency with all the factors involved in shooting a firearm accurately. It's not an easy proposition for most of us.
The fact that you each fired a 3 inch group shows some consistency to me. The fact that yours grouped at 9 o'clock and his at 6 o'clock is likely just a difference in technique.
How many shots did you fellows fire for each group? Also, I would try several different powders and bullets. I know you know that each gun has a somewhat different appetite. Some enjoy slinging 225 grains downrange while others enjoy 250s+.
Maybe some of the forums expert pistoleros will read this post and offer some useful advice to you. Continue popping those primers, sir. Keep us posted on your progress too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ok, misprint in former post. we were helping my buddys sons GF learn to shoot her new 380 ruger while hes in officer training quantico. AT 35 FEET. then closer and closer till she could hit the paper. at 12 feet. i was standing behind them on the firing line admiring her, ah....boots!
the range we were shooting the vaquero at is 70 feet. switched to 325 gr cast and got better results but nothing to brag about. because of hang time with the heavier bullets we had to aim about 18" low to get it on paper. got a lotta work to do with that one.
with the bisley with adj sites i am getting 6" goups at 50 yds leaning against the back of a truck bed, 4 out of 6 times. standing up no support about 8" groups. on a gong, then measured. i am also training myself to shoot with both eyes open. it helps. after 9 AM its just too dam hot to go shoot unless we sit under the covered bench at 125 yds. thats next with the bisley.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts