Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to .45 Colt. My new Blackhawk will arrive Friday. I know that probably 95% of you folks who shoot this round are re-loaders and I know that's by far the best way to go.

BUT, I'm looking for suggestions for the "best" factory round, in terms of value, quality, cleanest shooting and accuracy, for occasionally punching holes in paper.

I picked up a box of Winchester "Cowboy" 250 gr. yesterday because that was the only thing the LGS had on the shelf. But, at forty bucks a box, with tax, that's eighty cents a round.

Does anyone have any suggestions, not including re-loading, that could bring down the cost of shooting paper targets without giving away too much on quality? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

BTW, I see a brand called DRS Cowboy load, 255 gr. on Ammo to Go's website at $30 for a box of 50, Magtech Cowboy 250 gr. at $31 for 50. Does anyone have any experience with these?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I hate to say it but you picked the wrong caliber if your looking for cheap ammo. Because .45LC isn't as popular as some other calibers there really isnt any cheap ammo for it. Also its definately one of those calibers that will save you a ton of cash if you take up reloading.

·
Revolver Rockstar!
335 Posts
Black Hills is what I pick up if I'm ever stranded without my handloads (which usually means the wife shot them all before I got to take my turn.)

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I don't believe that there is any one best for any one gun.
Usually it's a case of try, and find out which one your gun likes best.
I'm using American Eagle at present whilst I organise for reloading.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Bitterroot Valley, like you see in the CheaperThanDirt catalog, looks like they have some good prices.

That said, yes, .45 Colt is definitely a round that cries out for a reloading press. There's no way I could afford to shoot this round as much as I do without reloading.

And when you do shoot your factory ammo, remember the Second Commandment of Shooting .45 Colt:

"THOU SHALT GUARD THEY BRASS AS THOU WOULDST GUARD THY HAREM!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
I started shooting .45 Colt in 1973. I have owned a dozen or so guns chambered for the caliber, and own six of them now. I bought my last box of factory ammo in 1975. "Cheap" and ".45 Colt ammo" are hardly ever seen together in a sentence . . . .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Try Georgia Ammo. They make bulk ammo sales and ship anywhere. They shoot a little dirty but they are not too bad for the money. That is the biggest reason I have not gone to the 45 Colt is the cost of ammo. And I just started reloading again last fall. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
- - - Snip - - - "Cheap" and ".45 Colt ammo" are hardly ever seen together in a sentence . . . .
:D :D :D :D Ha! Good one. Pretty well sums it up, I guess.

Thanks to all who have responded. I'm going to order up some of that Magtech and give it a try. Fortunately, my Blackhawk is a "Convertible" and I plan to shoot mostly .45 acp through it. (I know, still not "cheap" but a lot less than LC. So, "less expensive" relatively speaking. :)

Also, Cowboy T, I'll save and guard my LC brass as I would my lass and, when I accumulate a few hundred cases, will offer it up here, no charge, except the cost of mailing. :)

Thanks again for all the great responses.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
May seem overly obvious, but be sure to compare shipping costs. Ammo is heavy, and quite often you can buy pricier ammo locally for less than you can get "cheap" ammo shipped to you.

Just sayin' . . .

:) :) :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Since you are not going to re load,you will find much more useful factory loadings in 45 acp.And you can use any type bullets without worrying how they will function.In my experience,45acp has the edge over 45 colt in factory stuff. Most all 45 colt is anemic in factory loads.And as another plus,every 45 acp revolver I have ever owned has been superb in the accuracy department. Be safe.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Since you are not going to re load,you will find much more useful factory loadings in 45 acp.And you can use any type bullets without worrying how they will function.In my experience,45acp has the edge over 45 colt in factory stuff. Most all 45 colt is anemic in factory loads.And as another plus,every 45 acp revolver I have ever owned has been superb in the accuracy department. Be safe.
OP's gun is a .45LC not a convertable. Without the .45apc cylinder that ammo is usless.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
May seem overly obvious, but be sure to compare shipping costs. Ammo is heavy, and quite often you can buy pricier ammo locally for less than you can get "cheap" ammo shipped to you. Just sayin' . . .
Yeah, excellent point. I purchase my .22 cal on line, by the case, [CCI SV] at a very competitive price and the vendor pays shipping on cases. It nets out less than what it costs me at Dick's. But, on other calibers and types I generally purchase locally.

I am a bit anal though, I not only consider shipping cost vs. sales tax, but, because I drive a gas guzzler which requires premium fuel, I also include gasoline and "mileage" costs as part of the decision making equation as to buy on line or local. :rolleyes: :)

Thanks long shot, Interesting and good to know and comforting to rationalize using the acp rather than the LC when considering the oxymoron, cheap 45 colt ammo. :)

Again, thanks to all who responded.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.