Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original Vaquero that I bought specifically because it would handle heavy loads. I don't want to drop elephants, I just want to wring what I can out a cartridge that is normally loaded weak for Cowboy Action Shooting.

I've been to the usual suspects -- Double Tap, Buffalo Bore, and Littlestone Ammunition -- but when I saw 300 gr bullets loaded (nominally, wink wink) to 1,400 fps, I suspected I was in Marlin rifle territory and passed on those, as tempting as a 300 gr bullet is for SD. Even if the Ruger could handle it, I wouldn't want it going off in my hand. I carry for defense against people, not bears, and I don't see any Quigley moments in my future where three or four dummies line up.

I know the disclaimers list the rifles, and older model Vaqueros + Blackhawks and Redhawks without discriminating between the two 'applications,' but does anyone know where the line is...? Where you're out of Revolver Country, and into Rifle Land? Thanks.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I have fired several hundred 300 grain and over 500 335 grain buffalo bore ammo out of my old model vaquero and a couple hundred corbon rounds and the only damage was my hands.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You could just shoot them out of a 454 and not worry about it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If I understand the question correctly, there are no 'rifle' or 'revolver' 45 Colt loads. There are only 45 Colt loads safe for Colts and Colt clones, the 'New' Vaquero and 1860/1873 long gun clones, and there are loads that will wreck them.

The latter loads (provided that you stick with published data and work up your loads carefully) should be safe in the 'old' Vaquero, BH, RH, SRH, various 1892 clones and the NEF Cowboy Carbine. In any event the 'max' book loads are the same for revolver or rifle. The velocity differences are a product of barrel length alone.

I have worked up loads using cast 405gr 45/70 bullets (sized to. 451) and fired them safely (though not comfortably!) in a Redhawk.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That did help, VA. I don't load, so I rely on the Internet guys who load +P. I certainly don't intend to shoot a lot of it -- I don't need the punishment. But I want the option, so I bought the Vaquero. I guess I'll trust the disclaimers at places like BB, which sanction their loads for the [original] Vaquero, but it only takes one guy to show up on a forum with stories about 'Vaquero blowup' photos to spook me.

Interesting that you put the 1866/1873 rifle designs in there with Colt SAAs -- that has to do with their 'weaker' lockup, right? You mentioned the '92 as an exception, which the '94 was based on I guess. (I have a 94, so I know what the lockup looks like, with those vertical bars that come up behind the block. The 66/73s didn't have that -- they had a simple toggle action or something that would probably blow right back under high pressure.)

·
Registered
283 Posts
That did help, VA. I don't load, so I rely on the Internet guys who load +P. I certainly don't intend to shoot a lot of it -- I don't need the punishment. But I want the option, so I bought the Vaquero. I guess I'll trust the disclaimers at places like BB, which sanction their loads for the [original] Vaquero, but it only takes one guy to show up on a forum with stories about 'Vaquero blowup' photos to spook me.
No worries with the old Vaquero. I've loaded healthy doses of H110 under 325gr cast bullets and never had a problem...except a sore hand.

Interesting that you put the 1866/1873 rifle designs in there with Colt SAAs -- that has to do with their 'weaker' lockup, right? You mentioned the '92 as an exception, which the '94 was based on I guess. (I have a 94, so I know what the lockup looks like, with those vertical bars that come up behind the block. The 66/73s didn't have that -- they had a simple toggle action or something that would probably blow right back under high pressure.)
Yup, it's the toggle link that limits the rifle clones to standard loads. Not that standard loads out of a 16 or 24" barrel are wimpy. You get velocities close to 44 mag pistol velocities, a mild report and the recoil is nill.

If you want to shoot hot 45's in a long gun, the '92 is the ticket. I think it's a stronger action than the '94. At least they've chambered the '92 in 454 Casull and I don't think the '94 was ever chambered in anything with near the pressures that the 454 developes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could just shoot them out of a 454 and not worry about it.
You could... if you had a Freedom Arms, or loved pain. Working with what I have 'cause I can't work with what I don't. I've seen the round though. It's impressive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Sarge. I had forgotten their name, but I saved the link. It's rare to find a box of 50 when the others charge this much for 20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts