Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure if this should go here or the lever gun section but here goes.
I've been loading 45 Colt Ruger / TC only loads for my Blackhawk and am considering a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt as well. Am I correct in assuming that the rifle would be fine with the hotter loads too? I chatted with Rossi online and just got the "SAAMI Specs" reply.

Thanks, Steve

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
I don't have a Rossi 92 (yet). But I have been doing some reading. Here is some good reading.
45 Colt In Lever Action Rifles
From this and a lot of other reading, I'd say that the Rossi will handle RO loads just fine.
You call Ruger and ask them that q about the NM Blackhawk and you will get the sammi spec answer also.
Just start your loads and work up while watching for pressure signs as you would for any other gun.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Perfectly fine!

I've got 2 Rossi leverguns, both in 357mag and the '92 action is very strong. Remember, Rossi uses the same action for their 454 Casull levergun.

Load up your 45 Colt loads as hot as you can stand and your Rossi is GTG.

BTW, I've got 2 Uberti leverguns, a 1866 carbine and 1873 rifle, both in 45 Colt and because of their toggle link action they aren't strong enough for anything but standard pressure (14,000psi) loads so I limit my 255grn lead loads to 9.1grns of Unique.

I was thinking about getting a Rossi 45 Colt rifle just so I can also shoot RO level 45 Colt loads. That was until I shot a friend's Rossi with some stout 45 Colt loads. A light weight, thin butt stocked levergun shooting stout 45 255grn Colt loads is a handful.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
They build that rifle for 454 Casull and .44 Magnum so I would bet it would handle .45 R/TC. My .357 '92 handles the hottest load just fine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
As has been noted, the Rossi '92 is a very strong rifle.

The ones I have handled needed some action smoothing in a pretty big way, but I think that was just those two rifles.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,044 Posts
People like the above are the reason why gunsmiths and hospitals were invented.

People tend to equate strength to "thickness" ... which is just not true. The ability for a chamber and barrel to hold up to high pressure is more about the alloy and less about chamber thickness.

If the reloading manual says "For T/C, Ruger, and Rossi 92 loads only" I might be more inclined to believe it. It's the old caveat .... "Your gun, your money, your body parts, do what you want."

Reactions: Streetwalker

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I don't own a Rossi 92 but I do own 1873's chambered in 45 Colt and 44Mag. I would have no concerns whatsoever about shooting anything within SAAMI specs out of either one. I would not, under any circumstances, shoot Ruger Only loads out of either one of them.

First of all, it's my understanding that the term "Ruger Only" came about in reference to loads designed for large framed single action HANDGUNS. I know of no reference that recommends or implies using "Ruger Only" loads in rifles. It may be perfectly safe but the term itself is intended for HANDGUN ammunition only. If that is not the case someone please correct me but that's how I understand it.

The higher velocity obtained from rifle barrels will in and of itself significantly increase ballistic performance over an identical load fired from a handgun. I shoot factory Remington 180gr JSP 44Mag ammo that's advertised at 1610 fps out of a 6" barrel. I shoot it from a 20" 1873. I don't own a chronograph but from the research I've done the extra barrel length with that size bullet should yield something in the neighborhood of about a 20% increase in velocity. That means the 180gr bullet is moving at around 1900fps out of my 1873. That's a heavier bullet than typical 30-30 ammo moving at similar velocity.

Based on this I wouldn't shoot "Ruger Only" loads from my rifles. Because of the rifle's barrel length I can already get excellent performance from normal SAAMI spec ammo and I have no idea whether or not a steady diet of "Ruger Only" loads would cause any damage to my rifle because there are no rifles designated as safe by the manufacturer using "Ruger Only" loads that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
A 92 and 73 two different beasts. There is plenty of professional data out there that the modern 92s can run thevR/TC loads.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
There are plenty of "professionals" that say an 1873 chambered for 44 mag is a dangerous proposition. Uberti begs to differ and I think Uberti might know a thing or two about making 1873s. None of my 1873s (I have 3) say anything about "Ruger Only" loads in any of the manuals. In fact none of my 8 lever action rifle user manuals say anything about Ruger Only loads. I think I trust Uberti, Marlin and Henry more than I do internet professionals.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I would not think Rossi would use any different alloy between the receivers and barrel steel in any of their 92's. From a manufacturing mass production standpoint it would not make any sense to do so. Also if they did it would be to easy to mix up a wrong alloy receiver or barrel and make a liability problem. I watched a friend shoot his Rossi 44 last weekend with hot 44 loads and it handled them with ease.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
There are plenty of "professionals" that say an 1873 chambered for 44 mag is a dangerous proposition. Uberti begs to differ and I think Uberti might know a thing or two about making 1873s. None of my 1873s (I have 3) say anything about "Ruger Only" loads in any of the manuals. In fact none of my 8 lever action rifle user manuals say anything about Ruger Only loads. I think I trust Uberti, Marlin and Henry more than I do internet professionals.
So you're infering Im quoting Internet professionals or I'm an Internet professional? That aside it takes neither to understand 1873 and 1892s are quite different. Simple geometry proves that.

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
No I'm not implying you're an internet professional and certainly not in the pejorative sense. I'm saying that just because it's posted on the net doesn't make it the final answer.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The SAAMI spects for the 45 colt are low due to the older handguns still in use today. Those were handguns made for blackpowder loads of around 14,000 CUP well before more modern steels and heat treating was developed to increase the strength of more modern firearms. The Rossi 92 will have no problems handling 45 colt ruger loads.
If Elmer Keith, and a few others with him had the attitude of some of the posters above, we would never have seen the 44 mag, 357 mag as their parent cartridge was held to low SAAMI specs due to older weaker guns they were first developed for.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Would you trust a CASS gunsmith? Call Steve Young at Steve's Guns and ask him if the Ubertis' toggle lever action stands up well over time with full power 357mag loads. He'll tell you that they don't. Sure, you can fire a few rds now and then safely but over time, the actions will shoot loose because of the excessive bolt thrust.

Even with modern steels, the small pins in the toggles in the 1866 and 1873's design will enlarge the holes and/or bend causing the action to loosen up. Yes, Uberti makes a 44mag 1873, however, it has a stronger steel receiver than their other models (and why it's not available case hardened) and I'm guessing larger diameter pins in the toggles. The fact is that the original 1873 action was designed for a 2400 lb max level bolt thrust rd and modern calibers and powders can exceed that by a lot.

Check out this bolt thrust comparison I made up using SAAMI spec max pressure for both the original calibers the '73 was chambered for and the modern calibers you can get a new Uberti chambered in. Note that the 44mag is more than double the max bolt thrust of the original hottest caliber, the 38-40.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've used Ruger only .45 colt loads for years in my Rossi 92 16"barreled carbine. Buffalo bore plus P loads are not a problem either. The Rossi's are quality steel and the 92 browning designed action is among the strongest of lever gun designs, exceeded in strength only by Browning model 84 lever guns and Winchester model 88's which are for full length rifle chamberings. (The uncommon Sako Finnwolf lever rifle also is an exceptionally strong design)
But in pistol length cartridge guns the Rossi 92 is best for hot load 45's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One simple way to convince yourself one way or the other is to look at a manual that has 45 Colt data for both rifles and handguns. I bet that the "Ruger Only" data are not a bunch higher than the rifle data are. Keep in mind that some might include reduced SASS loads in the rifle data, but those should be obvious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since it's a Rossi and you're talking about Ruger/TC loads only and a Rossi isn't either I'd have to say no.
I have a Rossier92 in 45 colt. this gun shoots everything I put in it , EVERYTHING, and it has never showed me any problems at all Hot ruger loads shoot really well in it. i can and do push a 225 ftx at 1800 fps with it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts