Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This location for topic may be better.

Purchased this rig recently that I had been working on getting for past couple of years and need help on what is a proper handgun scope for this caliber and barrel length. I originally had not intended to scope it but think it would be best for my needs now that I have it. Could use HANDGUN advice.

What is best magnification power for handgun? And should it be fixed or adustable? What choices do I have for eye relief? Best objective size and reticule? What else should I consider? What are suitable brands for both target and hunting but it needs to be cost effective as much as possible also.

I found the used holster, base and rings and believe holster will accomodate a 2 ring Leupold base.

Really need handgun scope info help and opinions because it has been a very very long time since trying to match a scope with any gun, am sure there is much to learn regarding modern handgun scope features and specifications. And I do not want features that do not need or really what I mean are features that are really not useable on a handgun. Thanks for assistance and/or input.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would get a 2x fixed power scope. Anything higher and it is really hard to hold still. I have a leupold m8-2x that I bought off of ebay some time back, and it is a great scope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Liked it, looked into the Leupold m8-2x scope. Something simple with reputation of good lenses and holding zero sounds great! How is ease of acquiring sight picture? I dont know if larger objective is even available on any of streamlined 2x scopes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Frankly, I prefer a red dot to a scope on a handgun. I am an eastern US handgun deer hunter. Most of the hunting takes place in the woods, with a long shot being 75 yards. A scope works great at the range, but to me, takes too long to line up a shot. My arms are long and the eye relief is a little short to me. There is a lot more to line up with a scope compared to a red dot. It may be different for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thinking, have an old red dot, it does have a thick tube. It is easier to use also accurate, crisp enough dot at low setting. Under 100 yards or 75 shooting is good anyway. Open to red dot but also a larger objective 2x scope if option.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also prefer a red dot. I'm using a vortex venom mounted with a raptor mount. It works great. Raptor also makes a mount for freedom arms.
P_20200406_083550_003.jpg

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I know this pics been posted here a few times but it’s relevant. Here is my Super Blackhawk Hunter in .45 colt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting 45 rigs, very nice!
That helps, slick red dot mounting systems.

Sure enjoying seeing your guns.........

Accurate and strong plus with the great classic Ruger lines. I like the low to barrel mount profile but think I can make use of the higher profile also. The grips on those are beauties too. Thanks again for posting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts