Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up a .45 full size handgun down the road. I’ve narrowed it down to an M&P or Walther PPQ. Any thoughts or critics on either? The Ruger American in .45 also interests me. Just gathering input from people who have shot them before I get out to a range and try them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I love my M&P. If you are going to carry it any length of time. Polymer. Resists rust and far lighter. While I do love and owned the classic 1911, you can get more rounds in other pistols with similar ergonomics.The 1911 is going to weigh a pound more before you even add any ammo.

If I were going for steel, I would look at the CZ-97B 10+1, which is 3 more rounds and with the normal model (The BD is decocker only) can still be carry cocked and locked or DA. Something the 1911 cannot do.

Plus, it if the M&P gets scratched....no biggie, it sucks but it's tupperware. A steel pistol....much bigger deal. At least for me.

·
Cat Herder
1,633 Posts
If you might carry sometimes, the Ruger SR1911 CMD is really nice. I also have a Remington RP45 that I've only ran 75 rounds through but so far like. It's had no malfunctions, is very accurate, and holds fifteen rounds in a mag. It's also about $200 less than an M&P.

Whatever you choose, good luck finding it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve only shot one 1911 before but it was a budget one and I wasn’t impressed with it. Sucks the good ones are expensive. I’ve heard great things about the CZ97, but those are hard to find.
Mostly I would use it as a range/plinker gun. Maybe for home defense or take along camping, I’d have to get good with it first. I own 9mm but no 45. Figured I should learn how to shoot one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I’ve only shot one 1911 before but it was a budget one and I wasn’t impressed with it. Sucks the good ones are expensive. I’ve heard great things about the CZ97, but those are hard to find.
Mostly I would use it as a range/plinker gun. Maybe for home defense or take along camping, I’d have to get good with it first. I own 9mm but no 45. Figured I should learn how to shoot one.
Get what fits your hand the best. The grips tend to be medium sized with double stack and medium small in single stack 45 ACP.

I have had Glock pistols in the model 36, 30, 21, 30s, Sig P220, and FN FNP. I have owned almost a dozen different 1911s by Kimber, Wilson, Ed Brown, Guncrafter, Detonics, Mars Armament, Colt.

1911s can be finicky if they have tight tolerances, but it’s easier to shoot a Single action over a double action pistol.

CZ pistols are great, though. They tend to have the best SA/DA triggers of all of the guns I have used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I will second the 1911 as I have one in 10 mm and is perfect. My wife has the M&P and she will never part with it. Would recommend renting some first and see for yourself if possible. Good Hunting.

Reactions: mrb

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are some good 1911 that are under $1000 to look at?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The Springfield Ronin Operator full size is good one. MSRP is $849 if you can find one these days. Grab-A-Gun sells them for $759 when they have them in stock. Or at least they did a couple months ago. I actually paid $729 for mine, but prices have been steadily rising. Also, the Ruger SR1911 has an excellent reputation for about the same price.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,683 Posts
Beware the bargain price 1911's. Like you experienced, they can be disappointing. I will second the endorsement of the Springfield Armory pistols. I have had a Loaded Champion .45 (Commander sized w/ bushingless bull barrel) since the late '90s that I love. That new Ronin Operator looks nice. There is much love here on the forum for the SR 1911's. Good luck in your search. You will enjoy shooting a good 1911.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have Rock island armory 1911's. One base GI model. The rest are their upgraded models. They work great. CS is outstanding too. The center ones are 45.s Top is a 9mm and bottom is a .380

Attachments

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
SR1911 has all the features you want for around $700 - $750
Kimber, Springfield and Remington also are under $1,000, but feature for dollar the Ruger is the way to go for American made. You can also find some RIA models that are nice under $1,000

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK, I've read all 15 of your replies, up to this point, and I agree that a 1911 is probably the logical answer. However, let's take a moment and think "outside the box" - since this is going to be range toy and H/D tool, weight really isn't a consideration. I'm a dinosaur and shoot dinosaur guns, so I'm going to suggest that you look into a revolver chambered in .45 ACP. A S&W or a Ruger - although you'll have a wider choice with the Smiths. And while weight isn't really a consideration in this instance, there are lightweight .45 ACP revolvers too - my 325 PD weighs in at 25 ounces. Can also be had for less than $1K you stipulated. Glad to help out - I love spending OPM.

Just throwing it out for consideration - may fill two niches in your battery - .45 ACP and a revolver.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

·
Registered
518 Posts
Springfield XDM 45 ACP. Ergos are fantastic. I'd put M&P second.

Of course a 1911 is a great 45. Have a couple myself. Always go to the XDM though when it's range time.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Some good answers here. I’m a fan of trying out what you like. Polymer or steel options and see what fits for you. I agree with all the suggestions for under 1K cost.

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I’m a fan of the 1911 style, preferably a Gold Cup. My experience is that the ACP is one that needs to be shot pretty regularly to be proficient with. But once you get there you can be fast and deadly accurate. I’ve had mine since the mid 80’s and I’ll never part with it.

Reactions: SA45
1 - 20 of 45 Posts