Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I missing something here? Is the .45 Colt the same as the .45 Long Colt? I see loading dies labeled as one or the other and want to make sure I get the right one for reloading for my SAA. Also, on eBay I see a lot of single dies for the .45 Long Colt for sale. I know RCBS makes make a set of dies. Why sell a single die? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I use the Lee 4 die sets and often see the crimp die sold as an individual die. They don't come with the 3 die sets. And then there are some people who will sell off their dies one at a time hoping to make more money. I've only bought new dies and they aren't that bad price wise. Always look for the shipping costs. Some of them on eBay are outrageous to say the least.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Yes, some folks use Long Colt to distinguish it from .45 ACP, as many folks use the term Colt .45 for the ACP and it can be confusing.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've not seen a mfg label their dies as "long colt" but they are the same. I prefer RCBS and have about 50/50 bought new /used. If they are taken care of they will last a very long time. Try for the carbide sizing die if you can. Always make sure you have the correct shell holder. The 45colt has a small rim and it is easy to tear a chunk off the rim if the shell gets stuck or is hard to extract from the sizing die..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Am I missing something here? Is the .45 Colt the same as the .45 Long Colt? I see loading dies labeled as one or the other and want to make sure I get the right one for reloading for my SAA. Also, on eBay I see a lot of single dies for the .45 Long Colt for sale. I know RCBS makes make a set of dies. Why sell a single die? Thanks!
Historical note: the .45 Long Colt name was coined for the original 1973 Colt patent cartridge for the M1873P revolver to differentiate it from the shorter .45 S&W Schofield cartridge that was manufactured to be compatible with both the 1873 Colt army issue revolver and the 1875 S&W model 3 government (Schofield).

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
where did ya find that at, I would love to read it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
thanks for the link, still didn't see where it the 45 colt was referred as anything out than the 45 colt. There was mention of the 38 colt long . Guess I need to re-read it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks for the link, still didn't see where it the 45 colt was referred as anything out than the 45 colt. There was mention of the 38 colt long . Guess I need to re-read it.
I believe the terms ".45 Long Colt" and ".45 Short" were popular coinages to differentiate between the .45 Colt cartridge and the .45 Schofield (or .45 S&W). I haven't seen anything that indicates that ".45 Long Colt" was ever official nomenclature. The military actually adopted the .45 S&W for a time since it would fit both revolvers. God help the poor boob who was issued a pocket full of standard .45 Colt and only a Schofield to fire it in... Happened.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I have heard that story too in was in the middle of the Indains wars as I remember it. They must have been real happy. The reason I wanted to see or read where it was write 45 Long Colt is that I have made the misstake of calling it 45 Long Colt got told different. That it was just 45 colt. But now that you mention it it does make since that they would 45 long colt so they could get the right ammo.
Well the service hasn't changed much one number off and instead of getting a tank ya get a steering wheel lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lotsa anal types around who'll set ya straight without a clue of "the real story." Makes sense it was during the Indian Wars. The Schofield came out right when they were getting hot and the Army was trying to field two patent revolvers at the same time. The Army settled on the .45 S&W cartridge since it could be fired in both revolvers. Colt was not happy.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,680 Posts
Snuffy, You didn't read quite far enough in the reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt
Here's the quote "Original name"
The designation ".45 Long Colt" originated amongst military personnel to prevent confusion with the smaller .45 Schofield. It has become a widely used alternative name for the cartridge, and adopted by Colt for use in designating the chambering in its own Single Action Army revolvers.

It always tickles me when people get so anal about a name. Actually, the cartridge headstamp is marked 45 Colt (so they are half right), but if you look at a real Colt revolver, it will say 45 LC (Long Colt), just like the above reference says. So ..... either 45 Colt or 45 Long Colt would be correct. See: http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/saarmy45LC.asp

Cartridge = 45 Colt. Colt SAA revolver = 45 Long Colt.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Thanks, Well its still my favor to reload and shoot. Nothing rings steel like a 45 barrowed that from deputy 125. Didn't read down far enough, but did this time I got it now thanks again.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Thanks Iowegan, I just bookmarked that site for future exchanges with some of the nit pickers I hear from at times. If I say I'm shooting .45 Colt, many ask me if I mean .45 Long Colt or if in a post I type LC I get corrected often by someone who don't even shoot the cartridge. Hell, it don't matter to me what one calls it but there's always someone who just has to explain to me exactly what I'm shooting:D
Baker

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.