Ruger Forum banner

.45 Question

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  USMC66 
#1 ·
When I took my CCW class the instructor had a .45. It was either a Kimber or a Springfield and it had a part below the dovetail on the backstrap that was pushed in when you gripped the gun. What is the purpose of that? Safety? Recoil?

#2 ·
That would be a grip safety on a 1911.

#3 ·
It's called a 'grip safety'. It is a feature of the original 1911 designed my John Moses Browning.

It prevents the gun from firing unless the user's hand has a 'grip' on the gun and the safety is depressed.

It is sometimes seen on other pistols not limited to .45acp in caliber.

#4 ·
The two previous posters stole my thunder! This feature is one that attracts me considerably to the 1911 to begin with. If not engaged by a decent grip of the fire arm it shouldnt fire if its properly operating. This is a great feature to have on a gun that you carry for a living like I do or if you conceal carry. The more I use a 1911 the more I am convinced its truely the working professionals gun of choice. Yeah, I went that far out on a limb and said that!

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.