Ruger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45 Colt Ruger Bisley SA . My question is why Ruger changed the single action system on this firearm to use the gate/latch to rotate the cylinder . I have owned Ruger single actions since the 70's . Don't like the change and wonder why they did it . If you know let me know .

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
222remx4, It's not just Bisley models ... all Ruger New Model Single Action revolvers work the same. The Old Models (3-screw) had two very significant safety issues that caused countless accidents. The first change was to incorporate a transfer bar into the design so the revolver would not shoot unless the trigger was pulled. The second issue and the one you are concerned about, had to do with how the gun was loaded. With the Old Model, the hammer was placed at the half cock position. This released the cylinder so when the loading gate was open, you could load the gun. After loading, you had to pull the hammer back to full cock then pull the trigger and gently lower the hammer. The problem was ... if your thumb did not hold the hammer securely, it would slip and fire a round. Ruger solved this problem by making a loading gate interlock where the loading gate could only open when the hammer was fully forward and would release the cylinder so it can be loaded. When fully loaded, swinging the cylinder latch closed completed the cycle ... no need to fully cock and release the hammer, thus eliminating the "thumb slip" problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Iowegan

Thank you for the update as by my question I have 3 screw models of the Ruger Blackhawk not the New Version . One other question why doesn't the cylinder line up to the shell extractor ? I like the all steel construction of my Bisley . Thanks again .

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
222remx4, Ruger New Model SAs went into production in 1973. With exception of a few models, all SA cylinders index a bit different than Old Models. As I mentioned above, when the OM hammer is at half cock for loading, the cylinder indexes on the pawl and makes the cylinder chambers align with the loading channel. With the New Models where loading/unloading is done with the hammer fully forward, the cylinder does not index on the pawl so you have to manually rotate the cylinder between "clicks" to align it with the loading channel. It takes some "getting used to" but still works OK.

There is a modification you can do called a "free spin pawl". When the loading gate is open, the cylinder will rotate freely in both directions making loading/unloading much easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thank you

As per my questions . Getting back in the loop outside my past comfort zone will be a challenge . Thanks again

·
Registered
109 Posts
222remx4.... I, too, did not like the New Model lockwork when it hit the stands in 1973. When you cocked the NM it did not sing the sweet music of Peacemaker lockwork.

However, at carry the New Model is a SIXSHOOTER; at carry the Peacemaker and its "old model" Ruger copy is a 5-shooter. Unless somebody really enjoys being STUPID, he does not carry Colt-type lockwork with a live round under the hammer.

Iowegan's discription of the New Model is correct.

William Ruger's transfer bar single action is pure brilliance. He designed it to be loaded and unloaded without touching hammer or trigger, and to be carried safely with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. By having the loading gate perform two jobs, Ruger accomplished his intent with a minimum of parts.

I did not really appreciate the New Model until I campaigned the .44 "Silhouette Super" hard----very hard----in silhouette, where it thoroughly proved itself.
David Bradshaw

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I have a 45 Colt Ruger Bisley SA. My question is why Ruger changed the single action system on this firearm to use the gate/latch to rotate the cylinder . I have owned Ruger single actions since the 70's . Don't like the change and wonder why they did it . If you know let me know .
And..... aren't they sweet. :D :D :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts