Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went shooting last night; a long overdue trip. Brought one of the kids along. We had so much fun. He shot a few .45 rounds. I tried some of my hollow point .45 defense rounds. They sure killed some water bottles better than the lead cowboy action rounds. 454 rounds were very exciting as usual. This gun never fails to deliver when we want a little excitement. We shot about 70 rounds altogether. I really need to start reloading.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Must...resist....urge...to...buy....454 Alaskan......

Ran a box of 44 Mag through my Alaskan today. What a fun gun! I have a hot design idea for the 454 version but not the gun. It's on my list though.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really love it. Always loved the adrenaline rush supplied by my .44 S&Ws years ago, but this thing beats them and I believe it's every bit as refined. Wouldn't trade it to have one of them back. I need to find some cabbages or other food to blow up next time:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I really love it. Always loved the adrenaline rush supplied by my .44 S&Ws years ago, but this thing beats them and I believe it's every bit as refined. Wouldn't trade it to have one of them back. I need to find some cabbages or other food to blow up next time:)
Coconuts?

·
"The Real Deal"
8,044 Posts
Yeah they are tough. My last range trip I carried my 454 alaskan out for some fun. After 20 rds of 454 I had to quit. My hand is still sore. So even though I like the boom and power of the 454, I will probably be just shooting 45 colts in mine, and enjoy it. I have thought of reloading for it, and backing the charge down to the bottom of the scale to see if its a little easier on the hands. But a 300 grain bullet at 1650 fps, thats 150 fps faster than my desert eagle with a 300 grain speer gdhp, but the desert eagle is very tame in recoil comparison. I sometimes one hand it, yes its that tame. The 29 smith 8&3/8's in 44 mag with a 240 grain hp is not as bad either, more than the eagle, but less than the 454. The 8" 500 smith is by far the worst recoiling i have fired, 20 rds through it, and I have no urge to fire it again. But I do like my 454, it feels like a big gp100 to me.;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts