Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
My latest test load was with a 300gr Cast Performance GC and 28.0 gr H110/W296 with a heavy crimp. It Chrono'd a bit over 1100 fps about 6 feet from the muzzle.

The recoil was very manageable and I've shot as many as 70 rounds at a time without any problems. I'm going to bump the load up a bit and I'll let you know how it did when I get a chance.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My latest test load was with a 300gr Cast Performance GC and 28.0 gr H110/W296 with a heavy crimp. It Chrono'd a bit over 1100 fps about 6 feet from the muzzle.

The recoil was very manageable and I've shot as many as 70 rounds at a time without any problems. I'm going to bump the load up a bit and I'll let you know how it did when I get a chance.
I also use 28.0grs of H110 with the Cast Performance 300gr LFNGC.
It's a good accurate and manageable load. Best load I've found.

16.0grs of HS-6 is also good with the Cast Performance 300gr LFNGC.
Lite recoil but still packs a wallop.

This was with a SRH 7.5 inch barrel.
I don't own a chronograph so I have no velocity numbers.

H110 is your best powder for the 454 Casull. HS-6 is good too.
Unique is also good but I can't seem to get the accuracy I want.

·
Banned
308 Posts
The 1300 mark is kinda what I'm shooting for with the 300 gr cast. What charge of H110 are you using with the 328's to get it?
I won't say because they're in .45C cases, so you have to work up your own load in a .454 case, use Hogdon's online load data

Hodgdon Reloading | Home

one small caution, never underload H110 to try for a "weaker" load, can be bad news. Always adhere to recommended range of load and primer type.

Also at that speed, the cast bullet must be designed for it and hard alloy or magnum jacketed.

OOOPs- just checked Hogdon, you can't run a 300 grain at 1300 fps in a .454CA case with H110 and small rifle primer. A heavier bullet yes. 300 no. This would require a different powder. Otherwise minimum H110 would push a 300 grain to 1600+ fps. Don't go below minimum load with H110, just switch to a different propellant. There's a risk of detonation (explosion) in a case that's not full enough.

That's why I use .45C case and large pistol magnum primers and the Ruger Only charts at Hogdon.

Radio George

·
Registered
397 Posts
... There's a risk of detonation (explosion) in a case that's not full enough.
That's internet myth number 472.

If that was true I'd have already blown up a lot of guns. The worst that's going to happen is you'll stick a bullet in the barrel, which I've done.
Now, if you fire another round behind that stuck bullet, then that's where the blow up comes from.

The secondary explosion phenomenon supposedly happens in bottleneck rifle cases, and even that is questionable as to the actual cause.

Besides, what's the minimum charge? Check seven different manuals and they'll give you seven different minimums.
If there was a danger we'd know about it from all the blown up guns.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I won't say because they're in .45C cases, so you have to work up your own load in a .454 case, use Hogdon's online load data

Hodgdon Reloading | Home

one small caution, never underload H110 to try for a "weaker" load, can be bad news. Always adhere to recommended range of load and primer type.

Also at that speed, the cast bullet must be designed for it and hard alloy.

OOOPs- just checked Hogdon, you can't run a 300 grain at 1300 fps in a .454CA case with H110 and small rifle primer. A heavier bullet yes. 300 no. This would require a different powder. Otherwise minimum H110 would push a 300 grain to 1600+ fps. Don't go below minimum load with H110, just switch to a different propellant. There's a risk of detonation (explosion) in a case that's not full enough.

That's why I use .45C case and large pistol magnum primers and the Ruger Only charts at Hogdon.

Radio George
Are we talking 1300 fps in an "Alaskan" with .45 Colt cases. You must be way over the max load of 24 gr of H110. They list 1266 fps at max and that is from a 7.25 inch barrel.

As far as the 300 gr being pushed at 1600 fps with the minimum load, that is with a jacketed bullet and would not apply.

On a side note, I am using Cast Performance LFNGC and use small rifle magnum primers with H110/W296. Some reloading manuals list magnum, some regular.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The worst that's going to happen is you'll stick a bullet in the barrel, which I've done.
Been there, done that too. I was testing Tula SRM primers with the Lyman minimum charge of H110. The primers were weak and didn't give consistent ignition. I had to remove boolits from the barrel twice.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Are we talking 1300 fps in an "Alaskan" with .45 Colt cases. You must be way over the max load of 24 gr of H110. They list 1266 fps at max and that is from a 7.25 inch barrel.

As far as the 300 gr being pushed at 1600 fps with the minimum load, that is with a jacketed bullet and would not apply.

On a side note, I am using Cast Performance LFNGC and use small rifle magnum primers with H110/W296. Some reloading manuals list magnum, some regular.
Yes it's a load worked up especially for a Alaskan although I only have the 5" Toklat. Same load works well (only) in a .454CA 1892. It has COL set so it won't work in a .45C 1892 and I mark the primers with red lacquer which is my personal code for +P. Naturally the boxes of cartridges are highly labeled
as +P and NOT FOR JUDGE (although I would trust my Judge with it before my Governor).

Refer to this Buffalo Bore as a benchmark and notice the nice firm crimp:
Buffalo Bore Ammunition 45 Colt (Long Colt) +P 325 Grain Lead Long Flat Nose Item 3A 325 grain 1325 f.p.s.
Being listed as a .45C, it must also conform to the COL is a typical .45C revolver or 1892, but this also makes it possible to fire in a gun not rated as "Ruger Only" quality. Also they mention that due to the brass shortage they may or may not come in cases marked +P.

H110 is a great propellant for stout loads. If someone wants to underload one,
I won't stop you or tell you not to just don't say I recommended it. Others have tried making an other than not filled case safer with H110 by packing Dacron or corn meal into the case above the powder to take up the slack. Not my cup of tea, especially corn meal as some of my ammo will be around for a really long time before being fired.
I still have some .45ACP and .22-250 in stock from a 1976 reloading session.

On the propellant fill factor, talking straight wall cases, a heavier bullet takes less propellant than a lighter bullet. Seems odd but it works that way.

Radio George

·
Banned
308 Posts
That's internet myth number 472.

If that was true I'd have already blown up a lot of guns. The worst that's going to happen is you'll stick a bullet in the barrel, which I've done.
Now, if you fire another round behind that stuck bullet, then that's where the blow up comes from.

The secondary explosion phenomenon supposedly happens in bottleneck rifle cases, and even that is questionable as to the actual cause.

Besides, what's the minimum charge? Check seven different manuals and they'll give you seven different minimums.
If there was a danger we'd know about it from all the blown up guns.

"Besides, what's the minimum charge? Check seven different manuals and they'll give you seven different minimums.
If there was a danger we'd know about it from all the blown up guns."

Evidently some changes have been made to H110 and 296 over the years.
My understanding is Hodgdon sells them but they are actually made by a supplier overseas. Older manuals even showed different loads for the two, but now I read they are identical if not maybe even from the sample batch.

Since Hodgdon is responsible for distributing the propellant, I would go with their latest recipes, available online for free:

Hodgdon Reloading | Home

see:

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

in a 7" barrel, the 328 hardcast @1300 fps can give a KO 0f 27.5

Radio George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts