Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have one? Reviews? There didn't seem to be much in a search.
I was camping out on the Yukon River just across from Dawson City in '98 in a little pup tent. All alone. Wasn't packing. Wish I'd HAD a .454 Alaskan as I heard all kinds of sounds that night and didn't get much sleep. . . but only packing a Taurus .44.
Next day hiking through toward Eagle, Ak, a huge moose ran across in front of me...again, another reason to have the Alaskan.
I see ammo's not bad, about a buck 20 per round.

Slept in this hammock tent: Bought froze THAT night. Wearing the Taurus.
Actual Yukon cabin:

Sorry, got sidetracked. Any reviews on their Alaskan .454?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Matt. Yeah, you only go around once. I already have the .44 Alaskan and it's awesome. Maybe it's twin is in the future, I had a good month at poker last month.
Here's the ORIGINAL Buck of Call of the Wild. May have been a mix, but mostly St. Bernard...actual photo that inspired Jack London and then my holster from TrailMaster if I get the .454.

Here's my sleeping abode for the night just off the Yukon River. It only got down to 30 degrees but still I didn't have enough insulation in that hut. Forget those survival shows today, they're fake and staged. I had to tear the hut apart all night to keep the fire going about every hour. My Tops Tracker helped me build this.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Those are awesome pictures! I think the .44 needs a big brother....I have always found that poker money is better spent on guns rather than women; the enjoyment lasts longer. I wish I could find all the info about the .454 when I was looking, but if you search on youtube there are some good vids about the .454.

I went with the CME holster for mine. It has good coverage and is still pretty fast.

Stay warm up there,

Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 454 Alaskan.

I have found it to be pleasant to shoot with 45 Colt, but full house 454 is quite brutal.
When I was younger those 454s were a bit easier to handle.:eek:
all in all I like the Alaskan quite a bit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Alaskan

I am really enjoying the Alaskan. I have the .44mag. I shaved all but the top finger groove off the stock rubber grip. Also ordered a rosewood hogue with top finger groove only and checkering. Still looking at holsters, might try my hand at making my own.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,165 Posts
The 454 alaskan is a powerful revolver, I like mine. I got a deal on mine last year, and snatched it up. It is stout on full power 454 rounds but for large game it should have no issues. Its very accurate out to 25 yards in my normal max shooting distance for handgun. I normally shoot 45 colts in mine since its a range gun. Its size make it easier to carry in a holster on the hip, and wears good for me. It has a large fireball, and recoil is less than the 500 smith, but more than my 44 model 29 smith or 50ae desert eagle. Here is mine with its 357 siblings.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I love mine. Versatile, potent and well made. Fun to shoot. What's not to love? The only gun I might trade it for would be a S&W .460

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
AJ awesome pictures your Ruger Redhawk Alaskan .44 Magnumlooks like a very nice revolver. Are you using a Simply Rugged Holster?? With the .454 you have some power there but can shoot .45 LC as well not too bad of a choice there!!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I know a guy that is part owner of a salmon camp in Alaska. He does not go anywhere without a Smith 44 magnum but his weapon of choice for real bear protection is a pump shotgun with slugs. He has successfully employed it on several occasions. Salmon and bears just go together.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I HAD the high bid on one last night, .454, but someone outbid me this morning; now thinking that Garrett loads for my .44 Alaskan may be enough. My 61 year old wrists may not be up to it any more.
Cool: It's a Trailmaster holster. He has excellent prices.
Here's a young bear snooping around the property...my wife actually got this shot.

Here he was a couple years later, had beefed up quite a bit. I got him from my tree cabin a couple months ago. The previous year he'd broken into my ice chest I stupidly left out over night, and ate the hotdogs and punctured every single blessed beer I had in there.

This young ram was about 100 yards out. Would have been an easy shot but he didn't quite go full curl. Sheep is the some of the best eatin' IMHO, much better than caribou or moose, though they're mighty good too when hungry.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
In reality, despite the fact the 454 Casull has twice the energy of the 44 Magnum, there really isn't anything in North America that cant be sorted by a 300grn pill at 1000-1200fps out of a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. I love the 454, not as much as I love the 44mag or 475Linebaugh, and it's an incredibly powerful round - effective for big game hunting and defense both. But, the 44mag is no slouch, and for bears, you likely won't be buying anything but more recoil to swap your 44mag Alaskan for a 454Cas.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I read that too; thus part of my decision. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have both the 44 and 454 in the Alaskan. I can't think of a more fun gun to shoot. The weight just seems to be balanced right in the palm of my hand. I enjoy the 454 but don't shoot it as often as the 44. Each visit to the outdoor range the 454 goes with me. I limit the 44 for indoor ranges.

Here's a couple of Trailmaster holsters for the Alaskans. Excellent quality and workmanship in Earl's holsters.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the .44 Alaskan and really enjoy shooting it at the range and although it is a heavy revolver, it packs well in a quality pancake holster like the "Simply Rugged Sourdough". I think the .454 version is a little more versatile with it's .45 Colt capability.

However, if I were to make a similar purchase again, I would buy the SRH Toklat, 4.2" Redhawk, or 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk Bisley in .454 so that I would have the versatility to legally handgun hunt with it as well.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
...or 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk Bisley in .454 so that I would have the versatility to legally handgun hunt with it as well.
No such thing, not yet at least. Wouldn't venture there will be until the 6.5" Super Duper Blackhawk becomes factory production instead of distributor exclusive. It'd have to give up its extra length ejector rod and ERH if you cut down the barrel to 4 5/8" also, one of the selling points of this particular super magnum single action.

·
Registered
200 Posts
No such thing, not yet at least. Wouldn't venture there will be until the 6.5" Super Duper Blackhawk becomes factory production instead of distributor exclusive. It'd have to give up its extra length ejector rod and ERH if you cut down the barrel to 4 5/8" also, one of the selling points of this particular super magnum single action.
My bad. I forgot that the SBH 5 shooter was a 6.5" only. Actually, I am close to doing a trade with a friend for a 7.5" SRH in .480 Ruger. Have to give up my .44 Alaskan for it however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts