Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get a SRH Alaskan in .454 and cut it for moonclips. I already have a 625-JM, but would love a snub .45 acp.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
If that's what you're after, buy an Alaskan, send the cylinder to TK Customs, and be happy. You'll get about $250 into it for the work plus a good supply of moon clips. Not a bad deal, all told.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have thought about this as well but I have heard the accuracy with the 45 ACP is horrible. Will be interested to see what people have to say.:confused:

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I had a Super Red custom job here for a while cut for moonclips.

Not the Alaskan, a full-sized Super, with a barrel bobbed to 5.5 inches.
Accuracy with ACP at 25 yards was abysmal, and velocities were down in the 700s.

Those were my results with a Super Red frame customized for ACP clips.
Denis

·
Registered
884 Posts
Interesting. Thought .45 lc and .45 acp used the same diameter bullet?
Sometimes the SAAMI specs aren't the only consideration. I was the one who posted the older thread teckhardt mentioned and I ended up with both a 45 Redhawk cut for clips and a 454 Alaskan. I hadn't considered a few things before I actually picked up the 454, throats are huge at .455 and the groove is .453. Add that into the long chamber and you'd need to run at least .454 bullets to expect any decent accuracy which would likely bulge quite a bit in ACP brass. I might still have the gun cut for moons but it would see far more Casull than ACP, I just like moonclips.

The Redhawk I have spec'd with a standard .451 groove and tight .452 throats so it has shot most every "standard" ACP load well, if you try to load too light in pressure or velocity it can get pretty bad. It seems to like a 255gr bullet loaded into +P pressures the best but has also done pretty well with some of the lighter bullets if you keep pressure up. I had decent groups going as low as 155 gr SWCs at one point. The LC brass is .480 straight walled and the ACP is tapered .480 to .473 so my feeling is the brass need as much pressure as you can give it to expand and seal the chamber. If you see a lot of blow by gas on the firing pin your cases aren't getting a good seal. Things to think about, have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts