Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Super Redhawk Toklat 454 Casull that I have sent back to the factory twice now for the same issue and I’m curious if anyone else has had the same issue. As I fire the weapon, the trigger gets harder to pull until the cylinder will no longer rotate and the trigger cannot be pulled. Even the hammer cannot be manually pulled back. The gun was regularly cleaned and had less than 500 rounds through it when this happened. I sent it back to the factory, they made some adjustments, and sent it back to me. About 100 rounds after they returned the gun, the same thing happened again. I took it home and cleaned it again and could not replicate the problem but I sent it back to Ruger anyway. This gun was used as bear defense for brown and black bear and I planned to use it to hunt this year. I no longer have confidence in it and now it will serve as a $1,000 paperweight. Anyone have a similar issue?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Terry has some excellent questions. I had one of those issues once on a big bore where cylinder face rubbed against barrel after many thousands and thousands of potent rounds. The face was then slightly turned for needed clearance and now expect (per the semi-custom manufacturer) alot more use from it (a long long time is what they said) but for me would never use it as a 1 gun battery for big bear defense in serious bear country, will still use it for fun with lighter/extremely accurate loads but still sometimes potent ones, plus use it for testing loads or hunting deer plus lots of target use.

Note: I keep my big bear defense guns seperate from heavy target use guns, sort of peace of mind kinda thing. Some years was spending 30 or 40 days or more per year in Grizz back country.

For Grizz protection myself, I carry a gun that have ALOT of confidence in for sure and has also been proven and tested enough but dont use my defense guns for heavy target use, will use one like it for heavy target use or testing loads though. If after 500-1000 rounds where no vote of confidence, then it becomes a target or testing loads gun.

• If heavy grizzly bear area, heck I carry 2 guns. I also make sure I have enough very high QUALITY guns around to choose from, I'm worth it and whomever I am with is worth it as well ~ plus am a certified revolver nutcase. Last thought is that handgun defense against big things that can hurt you is really a last resort, the good use of the brain Given us is first line of defense, next is the long gun. Lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is exactly what I had to send my 5" GP100 back for. It's coming home today. I only got 3 shots through it. It's only a .327, but that shouldn't happen. My 6" has been perfect, so far.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sounds like when it gets hot something is expanding to the point of losing all clearance. If it does it again toss it in a cooler of ice, then see if it loosens up. The ice won't hurt it and your going to disassemble and clean it anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To OP, FYI, I got my gun back this afternoon. The paperwork said "adjusted and polished trigger guard fit, test fired and polished." That is what was happening after I tried putting new springs in; it just was a bear to get apart and even harder to get back together. I'll try it out tomorrow, if the Pittsburgh weather permits. I took it out just now with the laser bore sighter and got it close at 25-30 yds. I cleaned up all the excess oil, etc. and I'll have to give it a go ASAP. Beautiful guns, these Lipseys!
BTW, BO SOX terry_p, I had an acquaintance from New Brighton, PA, where I grew up, that was one helluva baseball player. His name was Terry F. Perhaps you've heard of him!? :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts