Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is thinking hard about buying a Ruger Vaquero chambered in .45 Colt (or Long Colt if you prefer). I was wanting to know if I could use the 230grn LRN sized at .452" I use for .45acp? It's the Lee tumble lube style. I've had good luck with it in my 1911's. It would be great if I didn't have to buy another mold.

Thanks much!

·
Banned
619 Posts
That will depend on the Vaquero's actual bore diameter and throat dimension. If the Vaquero has a bore diameter of .452" then you'll need to use a bullet sized at least .453" in order to prevent leading. ;)

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Work just fine. Just have to either taper crimp or seat a bit deeper to lightly roll crimp over the ogive. No heavy loads, just good target loads.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I actually do it the other way around.

I use 45 Colt bullets in my 1911.

Missouri Bullet Company

They work very well.
It's as accurate as I am.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It would be great if I didn't have to buy another mold.
Thanks much!
I think you're looking at this all wrong. What you have is the opportunity to buy another mold... A good thing. ;)

The Lee 452-250 RF is GREAT in my Vaquero and Marlin 1894. It's inexpensive too.

My favorite 45 Colt mold is the RCBS 45-270-SWC. Shoots GREAT in my Vaqueros and Marlin.

45 Colt Ruger New Vaquero - YouTube

·
Banned
402 Posts
Would work ?, should work ?, may work?
No pat answer here, will they go out the barrel ? sure, will they lead the barrel ? maybe
will they be accurate ?
Measure the bore with a pure lead slug --(Slug the barrel ). the bullet should be .001 .0015 bigger than the barrel -- Slug the cylinder throats, they should be bigger than the barrel. If the throats slugs are bigger than the barrel your in good shape.
Bullets should be a snug fit in the throats. Fit is king, do it correctly and you should be fine.
If you understand what I said great, if you don't ask more questions, I think more questions are in order. Don't get caught up in the Hard is better thing, If it's unclear at least make sure the bullets are .001 .002 bigger than what the barrel slugging shows. If you don't know how to slug a barrel for proper fit ASK.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It will work just fine.
I agree. I load 230 grain LRN bullets over 6 grains of Trail Blazer. This is a mild load at about 750 FPS, and is a blast to shoot. It still has enough kenitic energy to harvest a deer......Robin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts