Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What alternative options are there to the 8-round?

I know ProMag offers up to a 15 rnd, but so many people declared the ProMag magazines to be poor performers.

Are there any other alternatives beside ProMag and the Ruger OEM 8-rnd?

And I already ordered two more Ruger 8-rnd magazines btw. I am just curious to know if there is more, would love a reliable 12rnd/15rnd. And if such exist, would like to acquire it before Hillorama make them illegal again.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,978 Posts
theSaj, I know you don't want to hear this but .... learn how to do rapid loads with those extra Ruger mags. The Ruger factory magazines are the best ... besides, you can't stagger load a magazine in the narrow well in any Ruger 45 .... so that means the length of the magazine grows 1/2" for each additional round past 8. There are some 10 rounders that only hang out an inch but like the above, they don't work as well as factory mags.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've tried some of the aftermarkets and was sorely disappointed. So much so that when I decided I'd had enough of them I gave them away. I couldn't in good conscience sell those to another person so I gave them away with the understanding that they would only be for range use and never for carry or home defense use.

Stick with the Ruger mags as Iowegan recommended.

If you must have more than 8+1 rounds look to a different weapon.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just bought a new 8 round mag, I wanted to get a higher capacity mag, but then I'd have to buy ammo more often :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't Bother with after market mags they don't work .. unless mec gar makes them as they make most oem mags but again they would only be 8 rounds

·
Registered
377 Posts
I tried some of the higher cap Pro mags but ended up throwing them away. Actually they kind of threw themselves away. I just use factory for my 345 now.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts