Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a couple hours to do a little multitasking including a 31 rounds with the new .480 Bisley, very informal didn't have crono and a brisk headwind today took a few shots with 2 factory loadings let me say I really want to work up some 400 plus grns but that will have to wait till this winter.
First let me say wow I like ,
A few observations, I am 6'-3" 275 and am used to manhandling my .44s I learned by way of strikes to my middle finger knuckle today that I will have to learn some technique to handle this thing properly and avoid the slight pain to the knuckle a glove would sure help but I would rather learn to manage it properly,also my fingers are large enough that while grasping,that knuckle touches the back of the trigger guard.
All shells nickel and brass ejected effortlessly which is nice,
The factory trigger pull is absolutely the best I have ever encountered from any factory ruger single action very smooth no creep, fairly light, no stacking etc I will have to stick the gauge on it and measure
As far as kick, abuse or however one describes it, I would say going from .480 to .44 felt like going from .44 to a 9mm for me at least so power and recoil is very manageable I think but not for the very sensitive with that said this reinforces my belief that one can get the same job done with a heavy .480 load as can a standard .454 which after today I have to think the .454 must be very abusive when loaded to the max
I would also say this revolver is much more capable than its handler
Again this was spur of the moment very informal
I will post some pics one at a time sorry my I pad will only let me do one at a time
Respectfully
Dad 45

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pedals look more uniform on the speeds but I think both retained well I will weigh them shortly

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok on my runs 505 scale the Speer that I pulled came in right at 275 and the two recovered came in at 275 and 277( go figure ) so perfect retention
The Hornady I pulled came in at 324 and the two recovered came in at 297 and 308
Now I recovered all these from dirt behind the target so I would expect some fragmenting etc.
like I said the recovered Speer look prettier than the Hornady but in the targets the Hornady looks to be more consistant but remember this was very informal and in the wind and as I said before I'm very sure this revolver is far more capable than I am
With that said I had a ball today
Happy shooting and I hope this helps anyone interested

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I meant on my RCBS 505 scale, darn auto correct

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,430 Posts
Nice revolver! Thanks for sharing the info. Suddenly a guy with both Redhawk and SBH 44's feels like he might need "more gun".

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,197 Posts
Great write-up. Thank you! These piqued my interest when they came out. Now they do even more. That's awesome you were able to give us such a detailed review soon after they hit the market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How's the fit of grips to frame on that .480? Looks good in your picture. Every .454 I've seen so far, not so good. Have a .480 on order, hope it's good.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How's the fit of grips to frame on that .480? Looks good in your picture. Every .454 I've seen so far, not so good. Have a .480 on order, hope it's good.
Acceptable but definitely mass produced look down about 15 or so threads for the one that's titled "fellow big bore fans the .480 has arrived" it's the same revolver and a little better pic

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmm, got a Super Redhawk in 480 that I have never shot, guess I need to get it out of the safe! Been working on my 44's!!! Nice shooting!! and Congrats on that Ruger Bisely!! I'm not a SA man myself, all my wheel guns are DA, but that one sure looks nice! All business.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hmm, got a Super Redhawk in 480 that I have never shot, guess I need to get it out of the safe! Been working on my 44's!!! Nice shooting!! and Congrats on that Ruger Bisely!! I'm not a SA man myself, all my wheel guns are DA, but that one sure looks nice! All business.
Dad45, report appreciated .... it pretty much confirms that with an arthritic right hand, there is no way I would be comfortable firing that caliber in a pistol with a Blackhawk style grip .... that might be true for a Redhawk type grip as well, looking forward to the above mentioned report

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Been waiting for just such a report. Thanks, Dad. I've posted about our same gun in 454, but have been looking for an excuse to add the 480. :)

I find that with our 454, if I stay under 300 grain loads, makes for a very doable gun for range work. Love the accuracy of the cartridge and gun and the Bisley grips make it all possible for me. Have shot 454s in other configurations and those were not something I could handle for long.

I do like the idea of pushing those big bullets at more moderate velocities and dealing with less concussion than what I get with the 454. Did you notice much of a difference between the 480 and 44 mags on that feature?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been waiting for just such a report. Thanks, Dad. I've posted about our same gun in 454, but have been looking for an excuse to add the 480. :)

I find that with our 454, if I stay under 300 grain loads, makes for a very doable gun for range work. Love the accuracy of the cartridge and gun and the Bisley grips make it all possible for me. Have shot 454s in other configurations and those were not something I could handle for long.

I do like the idea of pushing those big bullets at more moderate velocities and dealing with less concussion than what I get with the 454. Did you notice much of a difference between the 480 and 44 mags on that feature?
NCG I didn't see this question til now, I have only fired the two factory loadings as of yet, I have been patiently awaiting delivery of 400 and 420 grain lead, once it arrives I will get busy at the bench and report back when I can

1 - 19 of 19 Posts