Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy that bought a colt rifle. His reciever says 223 but his barrel says 5.56. The barrel is a 1.7 twist. Question is would he be able to use either round or would he have to pick one of the two.

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
The consensus is if the barrel indicates 5.56 you can run both 5.56/.223 through it. If the barrel indicates .223 you should not run the hotter 5.56 round through it.

Odd though the receiver just says .223 on it...

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
If it's a Colt barrel I would trust it's a 5.56.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So would it be safe to be able to shoot both types through it? From what I have seen both bullets are fairly similar.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
JeffreyK That is one heck of an article. Thanks for the background. Yes. Mine is a ranch rifle and does shoot both.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I beleive all Mini14s are "Ranch Rifles", no? I mean even the Tactical has "Ranch Rifle" on the reciever.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Yes, you can shoot both 5.56 & 223 on a 5.56 or Wildey (sp) chamber. But, not the other way around.
No you cannot shoot .223/5.56 in a Wylde chamber. The shoulder is modified in a Wylde making the chamber longer w a sharper shoulder angle..

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
.223 and 5.56 were the same before the advent of the internet.
And even with the internet I still can't find any 5.56 reloading dies! LOL

·
Banned
367 Posts
.223 and 5.56 were the same before the advent of the internet.
Exactly!!

The 70 billion rounds of surp 5.56 ammo shot in EVERY chamber each year is also a pretty good "tell" about how dangerous it is........ oh, wait......

·
Registered
965 Posts
No you cannot shoot .223/5.56 in a Wylde chamber. The shoulder is modified in a Wylde making the chamber longer w a sharper shoulder angle..
Wait a minute, I shoot both from my Rock River NM barrel with the Wylde chamber. Both .223 and 5.56X45 rounds are very accurate out of this barrel to say the least. Which of the two am I supposed to not shoot?

When I run the fired cases through the case gauge the case head is slightly above the top landing. According to the Wilson instructions I don't need to turn the sizing die down as far which I gather means not bumping the shoulder too far back. The case head is just between the top and bottom landings after FL sizing.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
My bad, I was putting Wylde in the place of Ackley. I digress.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Wait a minute, I shoot both from my Rock River NM barrel with the Wylde chamber. Both .223 and 5.56X45 rounds are very accurate out of this barrel to say the least. Which of the two am I supposed to not shoot?
The difference is in the "spec" for the leade, or throat.
Unless you got some rejected surplus, or got ahold of some SLAP, or other specialty ammo that is loaded LONG, it is irrelevant.
5.56 pressures were only "raised" (albeit M855 is the only one with a spec, which is the same as the commercial version, IE the 223) well after inception, and the performance claims made to the military couldn't be met with the "approved" powders of the day.

If you can go to the local, find it stocked on the shelf, with no mouse droppings and and dust accumulation; it's fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts