Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoedy

I just purchased a used Mini 14 Tactical (580). It is stamped 223 caliber. I've read that the Mini 14 is well built compared to the AR's. Can the Mini 14 223 caliber handle the higher pressure of the 5.56 round, anyone shooting it in you Mini 14 without problems? If not will just stick to 223 but I have some 5.56 just don't want to damage the new to me Mini 14.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't do it. Headpspace is an issue as well, not just pressures.

Most people will never have a problem doing it (with your normal name-brand factory ammo), and haven't and so swear it is ok to do so. Do some reading on it as there are lots and lots of detailed info on it and the pressures and non-standard NATO stuff and differences.

Only takes once, just play it safe

edit: No i do not own a mini. Went straight off of what i have learned about weapons stamped .223. If the manual says ok, then by all means, go for it. And yep, leade not headspace. Sorry for any misinformation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
According to the owners manual that comes with the Mini 14 on page 6 it says the Mini is designed to be used with both 5.56 and .223. It does have the usual warnings against reloads but it says it will handle factory ammunition in either one.

·
Registered
942 Posts
You can fire .223 in a 5.56, but not a 5.56 in a .223. If the barrel is stamped 5.56, then you're good, if it's only stamped .223 then stick with the .223

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If it is the target model, only .223. All other mini 14 models are 5.56 and .223

·
Registered
999 Posts
YES you can...read the manual

don't listen to those other guys...they obviously are NOT mini 14 owners. if you read the manual it says you CAN fire 223 or 5.56 in the mini. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
This needs to be a sticky. Ruger's website and the manual clearly state you can fire 5.56 in the mini 14 except for the target model which can shoot 223 only.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Lordy lordy. Go into rugers web site, all Mini's are 5.56 except for the target model.
The .223 and 5.56 are dimensionally the same. Do search on "the differences of .223 and 5.56" on this web site some great info out there.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Don't do it. Headpspace is an issue as well, not just pressures.

Most people will never have a problem doing it (with your normal name-brand factory ammo), and haven't and so swear it is ok to do so. Do some reading on it as there are lots and lots of detailed info on it and the pressures and non-standard NATO stuff and differences.

Only takes once, just play it safe.
don't confuse headspace w leade. Since .223 and 5.56 are the same outside case dimension headspace is the same.

Reactions: rockhound73044

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
From Rugers web site,

"alloy Steel Blued 5.56 NATO Blade Adjustable 1:9" RH 6"

·
Registered
84 Posts
Shoot away my friend! If you're uncertain, download the manual & read it for yourself. Also, give Ruger a call to clarify for your own piece of mind.

I shoot NATO surplus, steel cased, & even berdan primed ammo in my firearms without issue.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Shoot away my friend! If you're uncertain, download the manual & read it for yourself. Also, give Ruger a call to clarify for your own piece of mind.

I shoot NATO surplus, steel cased, & even berdan primed ammo in my firearms without issue.
+1

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fire at will

The unique Ruger receiver roll marking system of CAL. .223 for their Mini-14's should not be confused with norms associated with specifications for the .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO. As one earlier contributor has said, every CAL. 223 Mini-14, with the exception of the Target model, is chambered for the 5.56 NATO, with all measurement, leade, and chamber pressure specifications certifiable thereto. The roll stamping on the receiver is marked CAL. .223 to distinguish it at a glance from their .30 and 6.8 Mini's, but that is NOT a chamber specification. If you will note, the roll mark does NOT say .223 Remington, which is a chamber designation for the civilian variety with all its lesser pressures and shorter leade, etc., etc.

Ruger packs an owners manual with every gun they manufacture (as do all manufacturers), and it specifically spells out precisely what their guns are suited to fire. They leave nothing to guess work for the owner to ponder, interpret, or to concern himself with. It goes without saying that Ruger knows all about chambering and is not confused about how they write their owners manual.

Please download this Ruger manual and go to page 13, which specifically includes the use of military production ammunition in the first and third paragraphs at the top half of the page.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini.pdf

Reactions: jkhesq23

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
Great post, GunBlue, thank you!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Howdy!

Thanks you to everyone that posted. I've down downloared the Ruger manuel and read it. As stated, it is a new to me Mini 14 Tactical and I did not received a Ruger manuel when I purchased it and it is not a traget rifle. So I'm consideing it safe to fire 5.56 ammo in it.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneo

·
Registered
183 Posts
This needs to be a sticky. Ruger's website and the manual clearly state you can fire 5.56 in the mini 14 except for the target model which can shoot 223 only.

I contacted Ruger within the last few days asking if my .223 Hawkeye Compact could shoot 5.56 and the answer I got is exactly as stated above. Except for the target model, all Mini's can shoot both. If it says .223, that is what they mean.

·
Banned
4,564 Posts
I contacted Ruger within the last few days asking if my .223 Hawkeye Compact could shoot 5.56 and the answer I got is exactly as stated above. Except for the target model, all Mini's can shoot both. If it says .223, that is what they mean.
I may be misunderstanding your statemant but, Mini 14s are stamped .223(caliber) on the reciever. But, Mini 14s except the Target model fire both the223"Remington" cartridge and 5.56 NATO.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hoedy

I just purchased a used Mini 14 Tactical (580). It is stamped 223 caliber. I've read that the Mini 14 is well built compared to the AR's. Can the Mini 14 223 caliber handle the higher pressure of the 5.56 round, anyone shooting it in you Mini 14 without problems? If not will just stick to 223 but I have some 5.56 just don't want to damage the new to me Mini 14.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
I had the same question and asked a Ruger Rep, they said Mini 14s are OK for the 5.56 round EXCEPT THE TARGET VERSION which is only to fire .223 rounds. Ruger bolt actions also are only to be used with .223 rounds according to the Ruger Rep. When in doubt call Ruger with questions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts