Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought the 5 Star J2-22 Range Block Kit for my Wife's new SP101 from Acme Bullet Co.
J2-22 LR Range Block Kit
Same price as 5 Star, but Acme's shipping is a lot less
The package came in 2 days and the Loaders; they were packed in a very nice Wooden Box
No big deal, but still, a very nice touch
The 5 Star Loaders ARE quite a bit pricier than an HKS Loader, but HKS doesn't offer a Loader for the new 8 Round SP101
And the 5 Star, Billet Aluminum Loader Bodies and Range Blocks will last several lifetimes

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the SpeedBeez version:
Very nice .... But $100.00 plus shipping ?
Not sure if the built-in Case is worth another $30.00
Plus, for that, you get one less Loader with the SpeedBeez !
The push-button Action IS quicker, but if you miss-handle the Loader, you've lost the Rounds out of it
Also, they seem a bit "delicate" and can't take to being dropped on Concrete:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tND5ZMYxVI

·
Registered
225 Posts
A loading block with no case is worthless to me; I pre-load the block before I get to the range, so the case is critical for transportation.

I've never dropped rounds due to mishandling, and I don't drop the speedloader on purpose, as in the video. I'm not trying to be an operator, just trying to make efficient use of range time.

The 5 Star J2-22 unit is $69 with shipping, for a more comparable price. It looks like a well made unit, but how does one transport it loaded? If I have to load it at the range, what's the point? So I'd need to find a case to fit.

Note also that SpeedBeez has another configuration ($100 with free shipping for Amazon Prime), holding 16x8 (128) rounds in two blocks in a Pelican case:

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Beez-Pelican-Loading-Blocks/dp/B009LSHLGI/ref=pd_sbs_200_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009LSHLGI&pd_rd_r=2Q3J63VMXM9SV8J4NRM9&pd_rd_w=3K2uO&pd_rd_wg=1YJRc&psc=1&refRID=2Q3J63VMXM9SV8J4NRM9

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
128 Rounds
Wow, that IS a lot
But $100.00 and without even one Loader ?

$69.00 for the 5Star, 80 Block and two Loaders, and another $12.00 for a nice liitle Case
$81.00 total and my Wife can pre-load 80 Rounds AND carry her SP101, with two Loaders to the Range in one Hand
Can't say you're wrong, but I can't see spending the extra money with such little return
We both know that; if HKS offered a Loader for the new, 8 Round SP101, we wouldn't be having this little exchange ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can't argue with you there
I would expect that the SpeedBeez Block(s) would work with either Loader
If so, maybe the Double Block would be an idea for a Christmas or Birthday Gift for Her
208 rounds ready to go ... hmmm

I really need to cut that Foam to inlet the Block and those Loaders in her current Case though

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW
Those are SO nice tjmac44
GREAT JOB ! ! !

·
Registered
838 Posts
Bought the Speed Beez case, 100 round block and 2 speed loaders for my GP-100 22 LR and they are so far the best speed loaders i have found. Have the 5 Star 80 round block, case and 6 speed loaders for my SP-101 22LR and they have performed really well too, except for with Remington golden bullet ammo. Not only was it really dirty shooting ammo, but it would jam when loading into loaders and 2 or three rounds would hang up in loader when trying to load pistol. All other ammo has worked flawlessly, it was like the case dimensions were out of specs. on the golden bullets.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Remington golden bullet ammo. Not only was it really dirty shooting ammo, but it would jam when loading into loaders and 2 or three rounds would hang up in loader when trying to load pistol. All other ammo has worked flawlessly, it was like the case dimensions were out of specs. on the golden bullets.
Typical for Remington 22s
They are the worst when it comes to being within spec
Their Crimps are so weak, 90% of the time, they fold while ramping into most Autoloaders
You can snap them in half with one hand
They usually work "ok" in Revolvers
And, I have found that Winchester 22s are the dirtiest

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Searching back thru some old posts for need info and noticed that a lot of my Pics aren't there anymore
Referenced, but nothing else to say they were ever there .... hmmm
Well, I'm quite proud of a few thing, so I'm reposting a few pics, because this site doesn't allow you to edit old posts

My Wife's .22lr SP101 Gen 2 and Case:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts