Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 1965, I walked a couple blocks to the school bus stop every morning. When one of us kids saw the bus coming around the corner, we would all form a line. The bus would hardly come to a full stop before we were all aboard, and away we would go. The car that happened to be caught behind the bus (Probably one of our fathers, on his way to work.) was only delayed momentarily.

50 years later... Today... I got stuck in one of the long lines of cars that form behind school buses every morning.
The bus comes to a complete stop... The signs pop out... the flashing lights come on... Then there's the 30 second delay before SUV doors start opening... Kids slowly emerge from each vehicle and one by one, they make that slow, reluctant, 100 ft., butt-dragging trek to the foot of the steps. Once everyone has finally boarded the bus, they must all take their seats before the bus can proceed. This usually involves settling disputes like, "You're in my seat." and "This seat is saved." (If your the first car back, you can observe the whole process through the emergency door window.)
Once the bus is finally on it's way again, you have to watch out for the SUV moms. For some reason, they seem to think that they have the right of way over the traffic that is already on the road, trapped behind the bus. They WILL force their way in. By the time that whole mess is sorted out, the bus is just a few blocks ahead, slowing down for the next stop... And it starts all over again.

Having never been a parent, I can only imagine what the above mentioned, 30 second delay is about.

"I don't want to go to school! Do I have to?"...
"I don't feel good!"...
"Put your phone away. The bus is waiting."...
"You didn't finish your Pop Tart. Eat your Pop Tart!"...
"Don't forget your backpack. Wait. We have to put your books in it."...
"Kiss Mommy goodbye!"....
"Have a nice day!"

Good thing it's Friday.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I fully understand your rant....

·
Registered
846 Posts
Heck, out here in Wyoming I saw one of our State Senators drive right around a bus stopped at a school unloading kids. The buses flashers and pop-out stop sign were employed....I guess rules don't apply to elected officials. This WAS in the days before cameras that a lot of buses have nowadays.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
In 1965, I walked a couple blocks to the school bus stop every morning. When one of us kids saw the bus coming around the corner, we would all form a line. The bus would hardly come to a full stop before we were all aboard, and away we would go. The car that happened to be caught behind the bus (Probably one of our fathers, on his way to work.) was only delayed momentarily.

50 years later... Today... I got stuck in one of the long lines of cars that form behind school buses every morning.
The bus comes to a complete stop... The signs pop out... the flashing lights come on... Then there's the 30 second delay before SUV doors start opening... Kids slowly emerge from each vehicle and one by one, they make that slow, reluctant, 100 ft., butt-dragging trek to the foot of the steps. Once everyone has finally boarded the bus, they must all take their seats before the bus can proceed. This usually involves settling disputes like, "You're in my seat." and "This seat is saved." (If your the first car back, you can observe the whole process through the emergency door window.)
Once the bus is finally on it's way again, you have to watch out for the SUV moms. For some reason, they seem to think that they have the right of way over the traffic that is already on the road, trapped behind the bus. They WILL force their way in. By the time that whole mess is sorted out, the bus is just a few blocks ahead, slowing down for the next stop... And it starts all over again.

Having never been a parent, I can only imagine what the above mentioned, 30 second delay is about.

"I don't want to go to school! Do I have to?"...
"I don't feel good!"...
"Put your phone away. The bus is waiting."...
"You didn't finish your Pop Tart. Eat your Pop Tart!"...
"Don't forget your backpack. Wait. We have to put your books in it."...
"Kiss Mommy goodbye!"....
"Have a nice day!"

Good thing it's Friday.:rolleyes:
I lived in the country for most of my school days experiences...I can tell you this..back then when the bus pulled up to your house and you weren't standing there ready to board..the driver would toot the horn once....wait three seconds and then GO! and sorry about your luck if you missed it! :D

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Had to chuckle - must be universal. I know in our town a lot of kids have the attitude that the bus is for the poor kids whose parents can't drive them to school and pick them up each day. I watch our neighbors shuffle the kids back and forth each day, driving them past the bus stop down the street just so the poor darlings don't have to suffer the indignity of riding a big yellow school bus. I rode the bus all through school up until my older brother got his DL. Bus rides were for napping, yakking, cramming for a test you shoulda studied more for, etc. Never felt like a 2nd class citizen 'cause I rode the bus. Maybe I was and just didn't know it.....

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Can't say I'm familiar with that and I'm the parent of two young boys and legal guardian of a teenager. Guess the schools out here are just more organized than others.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
In the 50's we walked almost a mile and a quarter to and from school every day! You had to live more than 2 miles to get a ride on the bus.

The trek started with the kid furthest out on our particular route and the crowd grew to about 50 kids by the time we arrived - rain or snow - somehow we made it on time every day.

The kid, David, that was furthest out had to be on time when he started (he was most of the time as I recall) but, if he wasn't we kind of knew and picked up the pace accordingly.

I remember walking to kindergarten with the 'big kids' every day and that was about a half a mile. I survived just fine.

Good memories!

·
Super Moderator
21,865 Posts
When I rode a bus we had a cigar chomping driver that would yell sit down and look real nasty in the mirror he watched us with.

I do know what you mean though about the lack of prompt effort as their little world revolves around each them.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I rode a bus we had a cigar chomping driver that would yell sit down and look real nasty in the mirror he watched us with.

I do know what you mean though about the lack of prompt effort as their little world revolves around each them.
That's it, right there.

In my day... (God! I can't believe I just typed that!) you earned your place in the world with respect, consideration, good manners, and age.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I drove a school bus back in the late 1960's while going to college.
I can say for certain that the kids were standing at each stop, boarded quickly, and found a seat without a fuss.
I was on a schedule with consecutive routes (High School, Junior High, and Elementary) and not much time to waste.
The only time I saw parents with a car at the bus stop might be if it was pouring rain, but mostly you just saw kids standing there in a yellow rain coat or under an umbrella.

Times have definitely changed. Now the parents in their SUV's drive the kids to the front door of the school even on clear sunny days.
The traffic jam around schools is insane.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
My problem is all of the SUV moms jockeying for position. You can't park 4 cars one behind the other and have your kid walk all of the distance. No you need to park 4 abreast and block the road.

I have never complained but someone must have. The city put new no parking here to corner signs up. I am sure that is going to change things :rolleyes:

Of course if they coordinated they could all get in one car. Moms could share the duty and improve the environment with reduced idling.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I lived in the country for most of my school days experiences...I can tell you this..back then when the bus pulled up to your house and you weren't standing there ready to board..the driver would toot the horn once....wait three seconds and then GO! and sorry about your luck if you missed it! :D
Where I lived in the country, most of the houses weren't close to the road and the bus couldn't pull up to a house. If you weren't standing beside the road when the bus came, it didn't stop.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Around here most bus drivers will pull over and let cars pass after the pickup if there are three cars behind them. I'm told it is a policy of the company hired by the school districts to handle bussing needs.
This privatizing of bussing has been good for all so far.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Was he one of those types that if all you kids on the bus got too rowdy, he would do a break check? I've heard about old school school bus drivers like that. :D

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Where I grew up, if you lived too far away to walk to school, you rode a bike. There were a few buses that brought kids in from more distant farms and ranches, but if you lived within a mile of city limits, you were on your own.

Today, I live less than a mile from a middle school and I have to time my departure for work so that I don't get caught in the mob of SUV's and Priuses lined up to drop the little darlings at the school door. My own kids ride the bus - the CITY bus - to school; I guess I don't love the, as much as the other parents...

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts