Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Couldn't shoot the heavy bullets with the XR3 grip frame, sooooooo

I'm happy. Some folks have trouble with the Dragoon grip frame, but it works for me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like it and think it looks great. Those grips are beautiful too. If it's a shooter, then it should feel right to you when you shoot it.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of wood is that and where did you get the grips? I've been looking for grips for my BH and those are awesome.

·
Registered
374 Posts
308LD, that is *HOT*.
What a sweet combination. Did it ship with the SB hammer, or did you retrofit that in too?

I'm a big fan of the unfluted cylinder too. Do they ever make those blued?

-Daizee

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's a shooter, and it feels right for me. I changed the grip frame and the lock work from the original XR3 and Blackhawk works to the Super Blackhawk Dragoon style grip and SBH lock work.

I sent the grip frame out for a re-blue. The grips are high figured black walnut with a Tru Oil finish. The grips are by "CLC Custom Grips".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
daizee,

Check it out, my spare cylinder.

Yes, they do make the Super Blackhawk in blue and stainless. Not positive, but I think it's the 4-5/8" and 7-1/2" barrels that have the un-fluted cylinders.

·
Registered
374 Posts
woah, that's more involved than on the surface. What's the diffference between the lockwork of the two?

Any the cylinder fits too?? huh. I guess it's only the .357 blackhawk anniversary model that has the shortened cylinder frame.

Man, that looks great. On second thought, I prefer the fluted cylinder on this one, unfluted on stainless.

-Daizee

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The lock work measurements of the New Model .41, .44, .45 Blackhawks and the .44 super Blackhawks are the same, only the trigger and hammer of the Super are a different style, but same specs.

I'm not a gunsmith by any means, just my limited observations.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I put a Super hammer in my 50th .357 and it dropped right in. It's cool how much is interchangeable.

Are you going to make another gun with your leftover parts?

-Daizee

·
Registered
239 Posts
sweet

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys.

daizee, check the clearance of the Super hammer under the rear sight on the 50th 357, it may be very close as the .357 hammer is a tad shorter than the Super hammer. If it's to close for comfort, you can take just a little off the top of the hammer and it should be good.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm sure glad to see that you sent that grip frame out to be re blued. It didn't look so good when I made those grips for it. The whole package looks excellent now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Love that wood, nice work. I agree the anniversary grip is a bit narrow. I just added wood to mine, makes it much nicer to shoot.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That is soooo nice! I have a brass dragoon frame I want to put on my anniversary bh.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts