Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 180 series Williams peep sight and being a welder with a milling machine (dangerous) thought I would modify this sight with the dovetail to fit my 580 series rifle. Would someone know off hand or be able to measure the height from the receiver on a 580 (where the Ruger .223 engraving is) up to the approximate center of the eyepiece? I already started modifying and realized I should hold up until I know this dimension.

·
Righteous Dude
21,561 Posts
I have 580 series rifles... Can you attach a picture of what measure you want exactly? Or PM me and we can email. I'm happy to help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting roughly .6"

Maybe someone can confirm as well.
That's interesting, because with the sight dialed down it's still much higher than that. I wonder what the difference is in mounting it on an earlier series that would make for it to be so much higher.

Attachments

·
Righteous Dude
21,561 Posts
Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted, but I measured from where you wanted to the center of the peephole on a standard/factory rear sight. I also have Tech Sights. No Williams currently.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I misunderstood what you wanted, but I measured from where you wanted to the center of the peephole on a standard/factory rear sight. I also have Tech Sights. No Williams currently.
If you measured they way shown in my last post I'd say not. I'm just wondering why the sight picture is so much different on the 2 different series rifles. Maybe someone else could chime in with that or pics of the 2.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This rifle is going to be set up with a dedicated night vision scope, so this is is just a temporary fix so I could shoot it. Got the sight fitted and hit some steel @ 50 yards. Now that I know it works, I will spend a bit more time radiusing corners and tidying it up a bit.

BTW stay away from a vendor listed on gundeals.com, Shield Group Allied Military Technologies. I attempted to purchase a Sightmark Photon from them, they deducted $432 the day I made my online purchase 5 weeks ago and I have yet to hear from them. All emails and phone calls have been ignored. The BBB, my bank and gundeals are now involved in a resolution.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts