Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be chaperone on my oldest daughters trip and I'm so dang excited I can't wait.
We leave on the 12th and drive to Ann Arbor, get on a commuter train to Chicago and then we climb aboard Amtrak for a trip across the Country to California, up to Washington state and then back across the northern part of the country and back to Chicago. There is going to be about 40 kids and 30 adults. The kids have been having fundraisers all year to pay their way and give them some spending money. They are studying the westward expansion and will have their regular classes on the train, so to fully understand what they are studying, they can look out the window and experience it. We are going to alternate sleeping nights on the train and staying at hotels. There are a few side trips planned to Doc Holliday's grave, a couple of silver mines, and some other cool stuff. Did I mention that they will be having regular classes on the train? That means some quality free time for me and the other parents to see some sights. My Daughter has never been out west, and has no comprehension of just how big and beautiful this country of ours is, But I guarantee she will when we get back. If any of you folks are along Amtraks "California Zephyr" or "Empire Builder" lines, make sure you wave, I'll be the guy with the camo hat on.
Brian

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Heck, Brian. That will be a trip you & your Daughter will talk about for the rest of your lives.[8D] Good Luck. And may GOD be with you.[^]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
A camo cowboy hat? And a nylon camo holster and belt? What an opportunity to remind kids that this country wasn't settled by a golf club but with sweat and blood and facing danger...and what a wonderful thing to be with your daughter that long without work...I'd leave my cellphone at home under my pillow....have fun!!!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Sounds like you are in for a fun time. I use to love riding the trains. All that's changed now and the heyday of train travel is behind us. There will still be great fun to be had on a trip like this. And it will be building memories with your daughter. The wife & I are taking our 5 year old grand daughter with us to California at the end of this month. Only we are driving. Now that will be an experience!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
Kansas, you betcha, lots of memories to be made on this one. Sheepdog, I only wish I was able to have a full holster on this trip, lots of precious cargo if you know what I mean. There are only 9 Fathers on the trip, so we are going to position ourselves on both ends of the car along the aisles. I'm only going to miss 8 days of work, and a couple of the guys here at work are going to take care of my accounts while I'm gone. I covered for them last deer season so they could leave early, so work is taken care of. I have to take my cell phone so my Daughter can call home on Mothers day, and me to call my Mom, I'm not about to forget that:). Jimbo, let us know how that car trip goes, be safe and GOD Bless.
Brian

·
Registered
93 Posts
Brian, Jimbo, both of you have a great time on your trips. I have fond memories of trips with my kids and am waiting on the grandkids to get old enough. Y'all be careful cause yore carrying precious cargo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts