Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my local sporting goods store this past Saturday and they have on sale the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor with an unbranded Chinese scope (3x9x40) and rings for the out the door price of $347. I put a $100 down on it with the option of getting my money back. Never owning a TC or this caliber, I am now having second thoughts.

I have the opportunity at another shop to purchase a Ruger American Predator for the out the door price of $407 with no scope. I already own one of these in .243 win. and enjoy shooting it. Right now, I am able to cover 4/5 of my shots with a quarter at 100 yards with my .243.

I hear good things about the Compass, but I don't know if the $60 savings is worth it. I am a Ruger fan. I wouldn't purchase a 3x9x40 scope for this caliber rifle so the scope coming with the rifle isn't much of an incentive.

So, let me hear what the masses have to say about it.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
I have a TC Compass in .223/5.56 these are very good rifles!!! I like mine a lot you will find most of the $400.00 & below rifles all have composite stocks. They all have a flimsy feeling fore end. They hold up fine but some guys don’t care for composite stocks. I put a Boyds stock on my Compass and wow its really a beautiful rifle now. I am getting with both stocks below 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Go to You Tube & do a search on Thompson Center TC Compass 6.5 Creedmore there’s some posts there that goes in detail about the Compass in 6.5 CM. I like the Ruger RAR Predator but the reason I bought the Compass over the RAP is the Compass has a 3 position safety in full rear position it locks the bolt. Mid position still on safe but you can cycle the bolt. The RAP & RAR do not have a 3 position safety, I didn’t like that! Plus I feel the rotary magazine on the TC Compass is a better design vs the RAR/RAP.
Good luck to you hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Welcome aboard first of all, I would go for the Compass, as you can always take the scope off of it and use it on another lesser quality rifle. I've heard great things about the 6.5 Creedmoore, and the $60.00 you'll save would go for a better quality scope and rings. The TC Compass I do believe comes in a walnut stock, as where the Ruger is in a plastic type stock. However I could be mistaken. Still I'd go with the Compass.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Welcome aboard first of all, I would go for the Compass, as you can always take the scope off of it and use it on another lesser quality rifle. I've heard great things about the 6.5 Creedmoore, and the $60.00 you'll save would go for a better quality scope and rings. The TC Compass I do believe comes in a walnut stock, as where the Ruger is in a plastic type stock. However I could be mistaken. Still I'd go with the Compass.
TC Compass does not come with a Walnut Stock!!

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
First welcome to the forum, lots of good folks here.

Personally I haven't heard anything bad about any TC in general, the majority of my rifles are Ruger so I tend to stick with what works for me. That said, I'd buy a Ruger, but not an American Predator. If it's in your budget I would upgrade to a better model 6.5 CM, I opted for an RPR in the 6.5 because of the distances my buds and I shoot. You didn't mention at what distance you shoot your .243 at, I'm assuming 100yds, but if you're looking to run out past 6 or 700yds you really need a better platform to compliment the 6.5.

The 6.5 was developed for long range target shooting, its also capable of dispatching elk out to 600yds. It touts the highest BC in any caliber under .30 cal, my 150gr Nosler Accubonds for my 7 mag are listed at .611, my 140gr Hornady Match bullets for my 6.5 are list at .646. If you don't reload, not a problem, 6.5's in general shoot factory ammo extremely well too. I used factory Hornady ammo during my barrel-break-in, 15 shots into the process it printing .25MOA at 200yds.

You've picked an excellent cartridge, you just need to decide on the platform based on how you plan on using it. The 6.5 is an addictive round though, once you see what it does at 3 and 400yds you will keep pushing it. The biggest limitation to this cartridge will be the person behind the trigger.

The bottom line is its your money, research the 6.5 so you can make an informed decision on the rifle. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the input, but no it does not come with a wood stock (that would be the one thing I would consider replacing on my Ruger American Predator). The point you make of spending the $60 on a different scope is well taken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First welcome to the forum, lots of good folks here.

Personally I haven't heard anything bad about any TC in general, the majority of my rifles are Ruger so I tend to stick with what works for me. That said, I'd buy a Ruger, but not an American Predator. If it's in your budget I would upgrade to a better model 6.5 CM, I opted for an RPR in the 6.5 because of the distances my buds and I shoot. You didn't mention at what distance you shoot your .243 at, I'm assuming 100yds, but if you're looking to run out past 6 or 700yds you really need a better platform to compliment the 6.5.

The 6.5 was developed for long range target shooting, its also capable of dispatching elk out to 600yds. It touts the highest BC in any caliber under .30 cal, my 150gr Nosler Accubonds for my 7 mag are listed at .611, my 140gr Hornady Match bullets for my 6.5 are list at .646. If you don't reload, not a problem, 6.5's in general shoot factory ammo extremely well too. I used factory Hornady ammo during my barrel-break-in, 15 shots into the process it printing .25MOA at 200yds.

You've picked an excellent cartridge, you just need to decide on the platform based on how you plan on using it. The 6.5 is an addictive round though, once you see what it does at 3 and 400yds you will keep pushing it. The biggest limitation to this cartridge will be the person behind the trigger.

The bottom line is its your money, research the 6.5 so you can make an informed decision on the rifle. Good luck and have fun.
Thank you. I want the 6.5 Creedmoor caliber rifle for the dual purpose of hunting PA game and target shooting at the range. One of the clubs I belong to has backstops up to 600 yards (so that would be the furthest distance). The RPR is heavier than I want to carry in the woods. The TC Compass is heavier than the RPR according to specifications posted on their respective manufactures websites.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a TC Compass in .223/5.56 these are very good rifles!!! I like mine a lot you will find most of the $400.00 & below rifles all have composite stocks. They all have a flimsy feeling fore end. They hold up fine but some guys don’t care for composite stocks. I put a Boyds stock on my Compass and wow its really a beautiful rifle now. I am getting with both stocks below 1 inch groups at 100 yards. Go to You Tube & do a search on Thompson Center TC Compass 6.5 Creedmore there’s some posts there that goes in detail about the Compass in 6.5 CM. I like the Ruger RAR Predator but the reason I bought the Compass over the RAP is the Compass has a 3 position safety in full rear position it locks the bolt. Mid position still on safe but you can cycle the bolt. The RAP & RAR do not have a 3 position safety, I didn’t like that! Plus I feel the rotary magazine on the TC Compass is a better design vs the RAR/RAP.
Good luck to you hope this helps.
Thank you for the input. I like the looks of those Boyds Gunstocks. I wouldn't mind having one for my RAP .243 win. That being said I think the TC Compass stock is a bit spongy compared to the Ruger American stock. I think both safeties have their advantages. Do you have any pictures to share of the TC Compass in the Boyds stock? I can't comment on the comparison of the magazines being I haven't used or owned the Compass.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I did tons of research before I bought my T/C Compass (204 Ruger) last year. I don't recall anything negative.

They had a $75 rebate until last Fall. I bought mine for $300 with the rebate knocking that down to $225.
That company now lists them for $274.99 with no rebate. https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/192978

Johnny has done quite a few videos on his Creedmoor. It's extremely accurate and he shows how to lighten the trigger.

Edit: Another to consider: I bought the Remington 783 Walnut (in 6.5CM) when it was on sale for $350. In this price class it is an amazing rifle, the real walnut stock (with cut checkering) changes the whole feel and function of the rifle. Way better than plastic; heavier, solid, quality. The reviews on the 783 are excellent too. https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-783/model-783-walnut

·
Registered
14 Posts
Both rifles have good reviews. You can also find negativity on anything but for the most part, I also came to the conclusion they are both good guns.

I almost went with a Compass but my store took them off sale on the 2nd and the price went from $279 to $329 here. That is still close to $100 difference. For some that isn't a big thing. For me, a $100 is significant. My Ruger American Ranch has pleased me immensely so I am guess I will most likely end up with a ruger predator since the recoil doesn't seem to be bad from what I am understanding. If I could still get a Compass for $279, I'd be headed in that direction.

My guess is you will be happy with either one. Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did tons of research before I bought my T/C Compass (204 Ruger) last year. I don't recall anything negative.

They had a $75 rebate until last Fall. I bought mine for $300 with the rebate knocking that down to $225.
That company now lists them for $274.99 with no rebate.

Johnny has done quite a few videos on his Creedmoor. It's extremely accurate and he shows how to lighten the trigger.
Thank you. The only negative thing I found that I thought was relevant is trigger performance. Well, if the price difference between the TC Compass and RAP was $135, including a rebate, it would be a no brainer for me, but that is not the case :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
My brother had me find and set up a rifle for him, I chose the T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Put a Nikon MONARCH 3 on it and replaced trigger spring with a M*Carbo spring. The rifle is very accurate shooting Hornady Precision 140 grain ammo. I think you put the money down on the right rifle.

·
Registered
387 Posts
OK more info: My trigger is great and all I did was take off one of the two nuts on the adjusting screw, cost 0. Now about 2.25 pounds. Great feel and very consistent.

There is a Compass rebate this year but only for Military and Vets: $50 until the end of April. https://www.tcarms.com/rebates

I'm retired on SS so cost is a big deal to me. I love Ruger and own more of that brand than any other. Planned on getting a couple RARs but when I checked some of the other economy rifles I bought the two I wrote about above. Both are very good for the money and I doubt the RAR is any better but I don't own any.
I do own three M77s.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
The RPR is heavier than I want to carry in the woods./QUOTE]

I’m not saying get the RPR and yes it is heavy, the FTW Hunter is an excellent platform as it the Ruger V/T.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correction

Thank you. I want the 6.5 Creedmoor caliber rifle for the dual purpose of hunting PA game and target shooting at the range. One of the clubs I belong to has backstops up to 600 yards (so that would be the furthest distance). The RPR is heavier than I want to carry in the woods. The TC Compass is heavier than the RPR according to specifications posted on their respective manufactures websites.
I meant the TC Compass is heavier than the Ruger American Predator.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I’m voting for the Ruger, tho I have shot both types of rifles and liked both for the price range. Here’s my evaluations for what it’s worth:

Ruger: heavier contour barrel is more likely to be accurate and less fussy. Better harmonics and heat management. Great trigger

TC: LOVE the wing safety. That’s why I have M77 Hawkeyes and M70 Winchester’s, I’m a wing safety guy. To me that’s a big plus.

All in all I like Ruger as a company. I’ve had good experience with them. The Compass is no doubt a good rifle for the price, as is the Ruger. But looks and likely accuracy is in favor of the Ruger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RPR is heavier than I want to carry in the woods./QUOTE]

I’m not saying get the RPR and yes it is heavy, the FTW Hunter is an excellent platform as it the Ruger V/T.
No, I didn't think you were saying get the RPR. I understand the point you were making. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m voting for the Ruger, tho I have shot both types of rifles and liked both for the price range. Here’s my evaluations for what it’s worth:

Ruger: heavier contour barrel is more likely to be accurate and less fussy. Better harmonics and heat management. Great trigger

TC: LOVE the wing safety. That’s why I have M77 Hawkeyes and M70 Winchester’s, I’m a wing safety guy. To me that’s a big plus.

All in all I like Ruger as a company. I’ve had good experience with them. The Compass is no doubt a good rifle for the price, as is the Ruger. But looks and likely accuracy is in favor of the Ruger.
I already have the Ruger model in question and know I like it. Another reason why I'm reluctant to branch out, even though the TC is more cost effective. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Thank you for the input. I like the looks of those Boyds Gunstocks. I wouldn't mind having one for my RAP .243 win. That being said I think the TC Compass stock is a bit spongy compared to the Ruger American stock. I think both safeties have their advantages. Do you have any pictures to share of the TC Compass in the Boyds stock? I can't comment on the comparison of the magazines being I haven't used or owned the Compass.
To the OP I did a thread in the rifle section or long arms forum here on the Ruger Forum. If I remember correctly I titled it TC Compass diamond in the rough. There I posted some picture’s. I have seen several threads on the RAR with guys glass bedding the fore arm stock on the RAR to stiffen them up. I cannot say that the TC Compass stock is much different vs the RAR/RAP stock. I cannot see why a Ruger American Rifle or RAP would be any more accurate vs the TC Compass. In fact Thompson Center TC Compass are guaranteed to shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards with use of premium ammo! I don’t think the RAR/RAP carries a guarantee like this! Personally I really like the RAR/RAP and the TC Compass. The main reason as stated before was I much prefer a 3 position safety. I bought my TC Compass at the LGS was first looking at the RAP they had both Ruger RAP & TC Compass in stock. They could have sold either rifle to me. But came right out and told me more bang for the buck aka dollars spent. The TC Compass had more features for less cost $$$. My Son in-law recently bought the Ruger RAP in .22/250 he is having issues with the magazine on his rifle. But this wouldn’t stop me from buying a RAR/RAP. The TC Compass is heavier then the RAR/RAP this is one thing I would have like to have it weighing closer to the RAR/RAP.Hope this helps each rifle has some advantage to some point. One other rifle I would mention is the Winchester XPR series if I have got this model right the Winchester XPR does also have some great features, I would buy this rifle over a RAR’RAP my main complaint with the Winchester XPR is I would like to see a greater variety of calibers offered!!! My main driving force in buying my TC Compass was the price and S&W’s $75.00 rebate.........but in the end I am extremely satisfied!!! But with most of today’s centerfire bolt action rifles have ugly composite stocks........end results I would put a Boyds Stock on!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts