Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all - and I'm a relative newbie, so excuse my ignorance :)

I've been seeing a lot of Hornady ads on YouTube regarding 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge) ; as I understand it, this is designed for the AR-15 and has been adopted by some part of the US military.

Quite a few 6 and 6.5 cartridges available: 6 ARC, 6 Creedmoor, 6 PPC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, etc

Do you think there will be too many? Will Ruger, Smith&Wesson, Savage, Daniel Defense and other manufacturers want to build platforms around all these new cartridges?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Will Ruger, Smith&Wesson, Savage, Daniel Defense and other manufacturers want to build platforms around all these new cartridges?
The 6 ARC, from what I’ve read about, sounds like the perfect intermediate cartridge. I see it preforming close to a .308 and better than a .223 ballistically. It could prove to be an excellent target and medium size game cartridge. That said, if there’s a demand for them I can’t see why any of the companies you listed wouldn’t jump in and test the waters. JMO

Reactions: Lukey

·
Registered
64 Posts
It does look intriguing in that I would just need a barrel and bolt or BCG to set one up, possibly magazine as well.

Not much different than I did for .458 SOCOM.

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts
I'm not sure what it has over a Grendel. I would call the 6.5 Grendel the intermediate between 223 and 308, in terms of diameter and power. The 6mm ARC is slightly faster and slightly flatter than the Grendel, but not by much, and the Grendel has 20% more mass and a 17% larger cross sectional area.

The 6mm ARC will have tough competition in the AR platform- it isn't straight walled (350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster), it will be some time before cheap ammo is available (223, 300, 6.5 Grendel steel case), and it doesn't look like subsonic will be a thing with it (like 300 Blackout).

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
The 6mm ARC will have tough competition in the AR platform
Spiff, you don't think that if/when the military adopts this round and it's in production that every GI Joe "wanna-be" is gonna have to have one? I could be wrong but I could see that happening......But hey, what do I know.............nothing.

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts
Spiff, you don't think that if/when the military adopts this round and it's in production that every GI Joe "wanna-be" is gonna have to have one? I could be wrong but I could see that happening......But hey, what do I know.............nothing.
I've read that it was developed for the military, but I also keep reading that they are going to a 6.8mm round. I don't see them adopting both, and since Sig has supposedly already delivered 6.8 weaponry, that's what I'm betting on.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I also keep reading that they are going to a 6.8mm round. I don't see them adopting both, and since Sig has supposedly already delivered 6.8 weaponry, that's what I'm betting on.
I forgot about the 6.8 I think I was confusing the two........it would be silly to have both. I think the 6.8 would be the way to go.

Reactions: rickf

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts
I forgot about the 6.8 I think I was confusing the two........it would be silly to have both. I think the 6.8 would be the way to go.
That's cause the ARC was made for the military also. I don't really understand it. The 6.8 is definitely going to be interesting. I'm assuming it will be available for the masses someday, but so far details are pretty limited. I have no idea what the military purpose was the ARC was developed for.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,652 Posts
Greetings, all - and I'm a relative newbie, so excuse my ignorance :)

I've been seeing a lot of Hornady ads on YouTube regarding 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge) ; as I understand it, this is designed for the AR-15 and has been adopted by some part of the US military.

Quite a few 6 and 6.5 cartridges available: 6 ARC, 6 Creedmoor, 6 PPC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, etc

Do you think there will be too many? Will Ruger, Smith&Wesson, Savage, Daniel Defense and other manufacturers want to build platforms around all these new cartridges?
Ammunition companies are constantly introducing new calibers. They tout each one as improving on something older by having increased velocity, flatter trajectory, less drift, greater efficiency, or some other advantage. If you must have the new wonder cartridge be sure to get dies and reloading gear. If the cartridge doesn't take off it could be hard to find a couple of years.

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts
I read up more, and apparently some DOD related agency adopted the round, but it seems to be secret. Midsouth Shooter Supply put this comparison together.

The only advantage they list over Grendel is a wider assortment of bullets. Going to make it a tough battle against a round that seems to be growing in popularity. I also think it's funny that it "larger splash signature" is a highlight over 224. I feel the 224 improvements it claims could be claimed by Grendel over the ARC, although I guess some states don't allow 224 for deer being 22 cal.

·
Cat Herder
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am working on a build based on a Aero Precision Lower.

I have some stuff but not having everything spreads the cost out, I am looking at barrels as they become available. Optics are a good question for this caliber.

My build will eventually have an 18”-20” barrel so a scope in 2.5-10X could work.

it will compliment my Remington Model Seven in .243 .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts