Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a single mention of the D-Day on the news this morning, that I saw. But, here's to those who waded ashore, parachuted in and those who manned the boats and flew the missions...

I am proud to have known so many of those guys in my life,,,,

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If anyone here has not seen and enjoyed the amazing HBO series Band of Brothers, I will say this about it: It is, simply, as good as TV gets. I also recommend the book. Reading about WWII for the past few years (since 9/11) has literally changed my life, and has filled me with pride, grief and gratitude for the Greatest Generation that I gladly carry with me every day.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
They deserve our thanks and our salutes. If not for their sacrifices the world would have been much worse than it is. Does not surprise me that the news media ignored it. They are too busy worrying about Paris Hilton's stay at the jail house.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I thank God that they gave up their lives for us...lied about their age to get in...went through hell and, the ones who came back, went on to give more to this country than the anti-war groups ever have or will...I wish I was the kind of man some of them were...they just did what was necessary with whatever they had, and because they loved their country...and realized it was over there........or over here...not many left from WWII and Korea-we need to thank them when and while we can...they're the reason we're not speaking German...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Then there is the oversight of the WWI veterans, for those VERY few still around. I caught a news story on it and they pointed out how we forget to remember them and how there is a void of US history between the Civil War and WWII.

Great Britain has made arrangements to honor the passing of the very last WWI veteran with a national funeral and service. There are no such plans for US veterans.

When my grandfather (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) passed away I was greatly disappointed by the timid display of his color guard and timid 3 gun salute (his service earned him a 3 gun, not 7 gun). Anyway, those executing the service and flag handling were of mixed services, and all seemed right out of basic (or maybe in an ROTC program of some sort). They were slouched over and timid.

There was no bugle player. What they did was a person held up what was a speaker system shaped like a bugle and when they pressed it to their lips Taps played out of the speaker. Had I known they were going to do that I would have personally done it myself (being I am a very good trumpet player), and it would have resonated across the hills, and not dripped into the ground.

We are a nation of the hear and now.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My God, Rich, that is touching. "and it would have resonated across the hills, and not dripped into the ground."

·
Registered
431 Posts
When I was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, there was an old sargent in my company who wore 3 stars on his CIB and had several stars on his jump wings, the crowning moment of my time around him was during a formal dress ceremony when he showed up with his Medal of Honor. I never knew what he did or in which war he was awarded that one. I didn't think it was the kind of thing one asked and he never said. I was then and have since been in awe of that man and I can't remember his name.

Several years later, as I was driving home, I saw a bumper sticker that said, "Bataan Death March Survivor". I followed the man home, introduced myself and asked him to tell me about it. I was several hours late getting home that night and went back to see him many times before he died. Those men and the ones like him are true heroes.

Molon Labe

Kim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts