Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Posted here and elsewhere]

Pun intended in the title.

Last week was my first 40 rounds of reloads since ... maybe 6-8 years ago. .45 Colt, Hornady once fired, CCI 300, 255 SWC over Universal. Started a tenth over all starting load data - 6.6gr - for 20 plus 20 at 6.8. Lee single stage, Lee Perfect powder drop. Some how, some way the LAST round loaded told me something wasn't right. I futzed around, measured the drop (came out almost nothing!) and rotated the powder hopper to the right (to close the drop tube off). It wouldn't turn. Hmmm. Did it close before or after that round? Aaargh. Bought the inertia bullet puller I knew I'd need anyway.

Pounded out a couple of bullets from before the suspected offender, all good. Pulled the bullet from the 6th sense case ... it had 6 granules of Universal. Granules, not grains. {sigh} Just avoided tapping out the squib :oops:

Lessons learned: Listen to that sense; WTH, how did I make that hopper valve close?; The purchase price of the puller and the time taken is REALY cheap compared to a stuck bullet or worse; Once resolved, both loads out performed the factory loads in accuracy, and I am comfortably working up the ladder towards slightly sub-max loads.

-jb, the prescient?

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,914 Posts
I always visually check the powder level in the charged cases. It's the beauty of using a single stage press. When the charged cases are standing in the loading block use a flashlight to check for uniform powder levels. Then move to the bullet seating step. Double checking along the process reduces the chance of errors.

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
Couple types of reloaders.............those of us who had squibs and those that won't admit it!

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Glad you caught it. Like other's have said... I always do a visual on powdered cases looking for something out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ngashooter and others said [essentially]
When the charged cases are standing in the loading block use a flashlight to check for uniform powder levels. Then move to the bullet seating step.
Ya know, I thought I had the double charge scenario beat. Single stage Lee. Charge the case, immediately seat the bullet, no chance of a double dump. Wait. What? a no-charge dump? [email protected] if you do, [email protected] if you don't. The REAL secret is check. Then recheck. If you're sure ... check once more 😉 Sooo, if you're me, you'll be looking into that case just before the bullet goes in.

-jb, glad he caught it

Reactions: rickclark28

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always look in the case before placing a bullet on the case.
Yup.
And that's all I have to say about that 👍

-jb, always looking

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always listen to that voice as it has saved me much trouble in the past and was responsible for getting me my biggest buck ever. It told me to move when I was sitting under a big hemlock overlooking a deer trail. I got up and moved and not 10 minutes later the wind kicked and that tree toppled over. That was downright spooky. Always listen to yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts